Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC contractor Air Georgian had faulty maintenance (2019 Update; AC ends contract)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC contractor Air Georgian had faulty maintenance (2019 Update; AC ends contract)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:32 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Never mind, please delete

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Jun 19, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
While there is an competitive advantage to being young, small and agile, there is also a competitive advantage to economies of scale. Its not hard for anyone to think of a friend who tried to scale up and just crashed and burned. The good home cook who opened a restaurant, a plumber or electrician who hired on some assistants and apprentices and couldn't handle being a boss.

I only know what Wikpedia tells me, but the CEO is a pilot. The VP of maintenance is an old mechanic. VP's of flight operations and corporate development, also pilots. Viewed one way, this is a great executive team of people who know the nuts and bolts of operations. Viewed another way, its a collection of good ol' boys who, while being OK at flying or even managing a 5 A/C fleet are simply being pushed beyond their professional abilities.
The difference between having a handful of people who care and do the correct thing vrs. having a management system to ensures a consistent outcome.

That is a hard transition in any industry. The regulator needs to be cognitive of it and progressively help move them along that path.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by RangerNS
While there is an competitive advantage to being young, small and agile, there is also a competitive advantage to economies of scale. Its not hard for anyone to think of a friend who tried to scale up and just crashed and burned. The good home cook who opened a restaurant, a plumber or electrician who hired on some assistants and apprentices and couldn't handle being a boss.

I only know what Wikpedia tells me, but the CEO is a pilot. The VP of maintenance is an old mechanic. VP's of flight operations and corporate development, also pilots. Viewed one way, this is a great executive team of people who know the nuts and bolts of operations. Viewed another way, its a collection of good ol' boys who, while being OK at flying or even managing a 5 A/C fleet are simply being pushed beyond their professional abilities.
So basically you're saying that Air Georgian is a victim of the Peter principle.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Say AC ditches Air George, does anyone know who are the available local players that could take over?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Say AC ditches Air George, does anyone know who are the available local players that could take over?
Why does AC need a subcontractor to operate airplanes? Isn't that something AC already does? Why can't AC operate the smaller planes themselves?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:29 pm

If anything I think AC will expand the use of Air Georgian. Look at how AC gave transborder CRJ flights to Georgian and transferred E75 flights to Sky Regional. IMHO AC's goal is to have more competition among lower tier carriers when the time comes to renew CPA's.

Out west (YYC) AC took the B1900 flights away from CMA and gave them to Georgian. Not sure why they went away from using CMA, but I don't see them increasing that relationship. I don't think this report would have said anything that AC didn't already know; IMHO if something was going to change it would have happened by now.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Why does AC need a subcontractor to operate airplanes? Isn't that something AC already does? Why can't AC operate the smaller planes themselves?
They don't need to, they choose to because it is way cheaper for AC to do so. Why pay mainline wages for regional flights when you can sub it out for much lower costs. It isn't just AC that does this. In the US there are various regional carriers that compete for contracts with major airlines and drive down costs for main carriers; this is why I suspect that AC's use of non-Jazz subcontractors will eventually expand as referenced in my previous post.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Twickenham
So basically you're saying that Air Georgian is a victim of the Peter principle.
Suggesting that a million mediocre decisions because of the Peter Principle could easily cost far more than unions, lobbyists, low loads on transoceanic flights... And also lead to poor results on safety inspections.

Or something else entirely that I can't see.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:11 pm

It's been a while since Ken Rowe funded his daughter driving an airline into the ground.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Dangerous statement. When the regulator finds issues with the self-regulation, it would seem to mean that self-regulation is not working as it should. Definitely grounds for some alarm and definitely action.
Originally Posted by tccook52
There has been issues with and criticism of SMS since it was announced more than a decade ago
We can all agree that no system or entity is perfect, and that some criticisms are warranted. I stated that commercial flying in Canada is low-risk, not no-risk. The latter doesn't exist.

SMS is frequently misinterpreted by those not immersed in it as allowing "self regulating". SMS is a framework for companies to manage their risks and promote a safety culture, giving an organization a set of tools to meet the expectations of safety as defined by a regulator. It should come as no surprise that a regulator may sometimes find issues.

There is absolutely no cause for alarm...the wings are not on fire. Tea will now be served.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
They don't need to, they choose to because it is way cheaper for AC to do so. Why pay mainline wages for regional flights when you can sub it out for much lower costs. It isn't just AC that does this. In the US there are various regional carriers that compete for contracts with major airlines and drive down costs for main carriers; this is why I suspect that AC's use of non-Jazz subcontractors will eventually expand as referenced in my previous post.
Of course they need to.
The economics wouldn't work for many of those flights were staffed by mainline. They would simply not offer those routes/schedules at all.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
https://nationalpost.com/news/region...cerns-a-factor

Regional airline loses 1.5-million passenger contract with Air Canada, but firms deny safety concerns a factor

Air Georgian has strenuously denied allegations of safety shortcomings by current and former employees, first reported by the National Post
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Air Georgian is very safe. They can't get aircraft into the air, so how could they crash?
D582, shadowspar, gcashin and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Of course they will deny deny deny!!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:08 pm

I've heard a few things about Georgian from some insiders, and I don't want to elaborate for fear of getting certain people in trouble. The things I'd heard were that while there were some concerns, the story blew them out of proportion. I'd heard stories about the guy from the original NP "whistleblower" story while he was still employed there before any of this stuff came out - all I'll say is that in this case I'd take his story with a grain of salt and lean towards the airline's position of it being an ex employee with an axe to grind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.