Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by ridefar
Having said that does anybody here (show of hands) think they will pick J class WS over AC or vice versa based on wine selection? Ability to deal with IRROPs yes. Wine? No.
Wine, meals, what's on the entertainment screen, whether they shuttle you directly to the airplane in an import SUV...all are ancillary concerns given too much weight on this and other fora. Price and schedule pretty much dictate the travel patterns of the bulk of the premium travellers who have a choice.

Originally Posted by Stranger
This is business class after all.
I think we're all aware that there's no greater style, sophistication nor possession of discerning taste in front of the curtain than behind it. Boiled down, business class flyers are simply people who pay more to get to the same place at the same time as everybody else.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

I think we're all aware that there's no greater style, sophistication nor possession of discerning taste in front of the curtain than behind it. Boiled down, business class flyers are simply people who pay more to get to the same place at the same time as everybody else.
Eh, no need to be defensive.I just wish they would serve me something at least as enjoyable as the two glasses I had with dinner tonight. Is that too much to expect?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
New WS seats look nice in all adverts. Probably don’t deflate either. And new shiny etc...

But given the prices I was seeing, AC doesn’t have much to worry about at the moment.

Eh, no need to be defensive.I just wish they would serve me something at least as enjoyable as the two glasses I had with dinner tonight. Is that too much to expect?
On AC? Yes. Does being at 38k’ impact wine taste as well as food? I don’t drink enough and very rarely on flights to know.

Last edited by jc94; Dec 19, 2018 at 2:28 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:17 am
5mm
Suspended

There is also another possibility to WS 787’s. Maybe this international expansion fails and they will end up selling them to AC for cheap. This is what happened when PWA tried flying wide bodies(767’s) in the 1980’s.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 5mm
There is also another possibility to WS 787’s. Maybe this international expansion fails and they will end up selling them to AC for cheap. This is what happened when PWA tried flying wide bodies(767’s) in the 1980’s.
WS is more likely to change their route (i.e. fly out of YVR instead of YYC to get to Europe) to increase sales. If the premium product does not sell well enough, then I can see them reconfiguring to have less or no premium seats. I don't think they will let AC control the premium and/or international market without a significant fight.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:22 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
WS is more likely to change their route (i.e. fly out of YVR instead of YYC to get to Europe) to increase sales. If the premium product does not sell well enough, then I can see them reconfiguring to have less or no premium seats. I don't think they will let AC control the premium and/or international market without a significant fight.
I agree with you. I just posted it as a possibility.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Sure, domestically, in which WestJet has plenty of aircraft to handle disruptions to service. The theme of the discussion though, is with less than a handful of new Dreamliners scattered over multiple overseas destinations beyond the reach of their large 737 fleet, Westjet is not (yet) better positioned than AC to get its passengers where they need to be on time.

WS may have their trademarked "git 'er done" speech at volume eleven, but it'll count for naught if there ain;t no spare plane to rustle up its herd.
At least now WS has the old 767's and 7M8's that can help in a pinch.

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
just flew TPE - YVR J. On the way over was PY YVR - PEK. Average price of the non champagne wines served looked to be about $15/bottle . The somm does a decent job with her budget to be fair but really that is just sad. On PY we got the same table/cooking wine tripe as economy..
Was on the SAA forum a little while ago and people there were complaining about the $6 wines that SAA serves in J. (Although other posters were pointing out that you can get good South african wine for $6.00)

Yes that is too much to expect knowing your tastes in wine.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:10 am

I just wish they would serve me something at least as enjoyable as the two glasses I had with dinner tonight. Is that too much to expect?
In an airplane, it probably is. I would expect your local go-to wine shop to recommend an enjoyable bottle, or that a wine publication, fellow enthusiast or decent restaurant would do the same. In an airborne bus, my expectations are limited to safe, on-time performance, reasonable seat comfort for the price paid and high-quality customer service from staff. This applies regardless of airline or class of cabin selected.

On a different tack, I wonder if & when WS decides to serve Vancouver with its 787s, how they'll 'compete' with Air Canada in terms of gates? Each airlines occupies a separate pier at YVR for its domestic operations, and there's just one gate in the A/B ("WestJet") pier able to accommodate a 789. There are a few swing gates (located directly beneath the windows of the YVR domestic MLL) that are primarily occupied by, but certainly not exclusive to, AC. Whenever WestJet and Transat are assigned gates 49-52 for example, there often follow comments - verging on complaints - that they're occupying "Air Canada gates". To the best of my knowledge, AC owns a total of zero gates at any of the airports it serves. It could be fun to see widebody jockeying between the two if there are conflicts serving the 9th most profitable route in the world (YVR-YYZ).

There needs to be popcorn in the lounge.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Dec 20, 2018 at 10:18 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:50 am
5mm
Suspended

On a different tack, I wonder if & when WS decides to serve Vancouver with its 787s, how they'll 'compete' with Air Canada in terms of gates? Each airlines occupies a separate pier at YVR for its domestic operations, and there's just one gate in the A/B ("WestJet") pier able to accommodate a 789. There are a few swing gates (located directly beneath the windows of the YVR domestic MLL) that are primarily occupied by, but certainly not exclusive to, AC. Whenever WestJet and Transat are assigned gates 49-52 for example, there often follow comments - verging on complaints - that they're occupying "Air Canada gates". To the best of my knowledge, AC owns a total of zero gates at any of the airports it serves. It could be fun to see widebody jockeying between the two if there are conflicts serving the 9th most profitable route in the world (YVR-YYZ).

In general, the airline with the most traffic/flights usually get the best gates. If WS runs a route 1 to 3x per week and AC is daily (YVR), I would think the gates (YVR) 50-52 would go to AC. Canadian airports are run like a business and they look after their best customers too. More interest would be YYC. WS does not like their set up there and is trying everything to change the DOM gate situation. Plus, YYC swing gates are limited and set up for mostly smaller jets.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
In an airplane, it probably is. I would expect your local go-to wine shop to recommend an enjoyable bottle, or that a wine publication, fellow enthusiast or decent restaurant would do the same. In an airborne bus, my expectations are limited to safe, on-time performance, reasonable seat comfort for the price paid and high-quality customer service from staff. This applies regardless of airline or class of cabin selected.

If WS flies enough widebodies out of YVR, then maybe they can expand/modify the A/B concourse? (I have no idea about the logistics)

Or maybe they will use those "AC gates", but have less desirable time slots.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
In general, the airline with the most traffic/flights usually get the best gates. If WS runs a route 1 to 3x per week and AC is daily (YVR), I would think the gates (YVR) 50-52 would go to AC. Canadian airports are run like a business and they look after their best customers too..
Yes, they do, but both are valuable partners. If airports constantly ruled in favour of the biggest tenant, essentially impeding the entry or growth of competitors, that would be extremely unhealthy for business. The issue isn't so much about 'best' gates, it's about access to gates, period.

Let's assume that any new WS Dreamliners operating domestic routes serving a premium traveler would occur on a more frequent basis than 1-3x per week.

If WS flies enough widebodies out of YVR, then maybe they can expand/modify the A/B concourse? (I have no idea about the logistics)

At the risk of putting the proverbial cart before the horse (we don't yet know if, when nor how many WS 787s may use YVR), the A pier was recently expanded to accommodate increased WS domestic operations. It's not the concourse that requires expansion; it's the apron and adjacent taxiways, and therein lies the problem. Despite committing to over $9B of capital infrastructure spending, there are too many demands at YVR to keep up with.

I think we're looking at increased remote stand operations and yes, that will have to include the largest and most reluctant airline at the airport. Show of hands: would many business travellers - faced with otherwise equal options - choose one carrier over another if they had to deplane via bus? (The time difference between seat and curb would be negligible).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
The day WS announces a TYO / TPE / HKG route is the day I will fully exit *A, I mean I don't mind UA but it is a hassle to go thru SFO everytime just to avoid AC

*Disclosure - have a chunk of WJ from way back in the day.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by YYCowboy
The day WS announces a TYO / TPE / HKG route is the day I will fully exit *A, I mean I don't mind UA but it is a hassle to go thru SFO everytime just to avoid AC
I think you're the prime target client WestJet is aiming for. I would imagine an Asia announcement won't be too long in coming (perhaps not from YYC?); some more competition is always welcomed.
YYCowboy likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:34 pm
5mm
Suspended

WS already uses "AC" swing gate(50-52). Just not at peak Asian departure times.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
WS already uses "AC" swing gate(50-52). Just not at peak Asian departure times.
Yes they use those gates. That doesn't prevent vociferous competitor protest at peak domestic departure times and peak Australia departure times and peak Hawaii departure times and any other time of day.

Maybe a peak Asia departure time might soon involve a WS Dreamliner - stuffed with newly-gained corporate clients - also vying to depart on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.