Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada boots mom, son over seat choice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada boots mom, son over seat choice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim

Nonsense. I don’t know the difference in mask tubing length between the XM pods and the new pods. I don’t know that a parent cannot help a child adjacent to them in a new pod. All I know is what the policy states, and the policy — recently updated as it is — clearly refers to classic pods.
Sure, but once the GA and the SD explain to you the way it needs to be, then you know.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Where in the article does it say she was not reseated behind her son on the original flight?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Sure, but once the GA and the SD explain to you the way it needs to be, then you know.
What do we know? All we know is they’re enforcing a policy they are unable to produce which seemingly is contrary to a published one.

Regardless, the woman eventually took the seat they told her to. Only then was she tossed from the flight.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
Regardless, the woman eventually took the seat they told her to. Only then was she tossed from the flight.
I don't see where it says that she did, or didn't (for that matter), accept the proper seat.

To me, the most telling part of this story, with regards to her credibility is when the anchorman said that, had she known about this policy, she would not have booked J, so they could sit together. And yet, she bought J for the trip home, on the second flight. Seems somewhat contradictory to me.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I don't see where it says that she did, or didn't (for that matter), accept the proper seat.
Says so here:

However, after Morton and her son were seated...

Morton maintains she didn’t refuse any order from the flight crew, only that she kept asking to see the policy.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:12 pm

To me, the most telling part of this story, with regards to her credibility is when the anchorman said that, had she known about this policy, she would not have booked J, so they could sit together. And yet, she bought J for the trip home, on the second flight. Seems somewhat contradictory to me.
Do we know there was Y space side-by-side 14h out?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:13 pm

I am not sure that means that she did move. I wish it was more explicit, but it isn't. And, of course, it is one sided.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Do we know there was Y space side-by-side 14h out?
Nope, it doesn't say either way whether there were any flights with Y available at any time, so that she could do as she said she would.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:20 pm

Maybe it is the cynical side of me but, when details are left out of a one sided story, I get a feeling it isn't due to an oversight.
WR Cage, DrunkCargo and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:45 pm

Nope, it doesn't say either way whether there were any flights with Y available at any time, so that she could do as she said she would.
Well if it went to a real court, this data would be interesting.. her credibility would be destroyed if indeed there was suitable inventory.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat., AC Alt. E50+, AP DD; BA Gold, OW Emerald
As a family we have travelled international business with our young children. We have done so side by side without issue or question. We would have sat wherever was needed, however, we were never made aware that our kids had to be seated in front of us, nor did the website check-in or gate agents mention this. In this day and age as parents it is difficult to accept something that seems the opposite of having your childs well being in mind. It would seem, understandably difficult for a mom to not be in a sight line of her child.

The policy here is unclear when it comes to the new configuration. We don't know how she reacted on the flight, I'm sure there would be people coming forward with their own videos if it had escalated to a raised voice situation. In this kind of situation, someone should have been able to walk her through the policy that doesn't seem to make sense.

If you said to any parent, you cannot sit here because you will be unable to situate a mask properly on your child, I think that would change things. It is interesting that the AC spokes person didn't say that. It would have been smart to say that masks don't allow repositioning from opposite aisle.

Again there are not enough details, however, I think if there had been raised voice kind of conflict etc. someone would have been filming, and if they really had an issue with this passenger they would have denied her a flight home.
Twickenham and ffsim like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
We often travel in AC pods with our young kids. I would say this policy is enforced about 20% of the time by the flight crew.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by echino
Interesting. I am booked YVR-YYZ on 777 business with my THREE kids, aged 12, 10, 10. Obviously, only one child can sit in a pod in front of me. Will AC refuse to transport us?
yes if the FA is on a power trip.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AC MM+
Same as many others on the enforcement, either rally or never happens. We're travelling this week on a 787, I'M in 1A, kids under 11 in 2A and 3A and my wife in 4A. We may book and then exchange seats during the flight and we're never bothered by the FA as long as we notify the SD.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: AC*75K
I just want to point out that if a parent is seated in an adjacent seat (think 3D & 3G on the 777/787) they would need to jump over the middle divider to help their child in an incident. This should be the primary reason to not allow adjacent seating. Similarly on the classic pod 767 a parent seated in A could not help their child in the middle F seats because of a divider. The general in-front policy makes perfect sense if you don't want to get into plane specific seating criteria.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.