Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best J experience to Hong Kong - via Air Canada or EVA?(or Cathay?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best J experience to Hong Kong - via Air Canada or EVA?(or Cathay?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by midnightmartini
Oh I didn't know about the new AC J product! Thanks for the link.
its not new! AC just put a new name on its product. Its brilliant marketing staff changed the name from Business Class to Signature.
lipstick on a pig.

Oh and if you dont mind the stop EVA is much nicer service and experience than CX. Also CX likes to COOK its customers with a hot cabin, on EVA they at least turn down the temperature. Side note Turkish is the worst for a HOT cabin.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
BR is my favorite for all the reasons already listed....that first glass of Veuve Cliquot "La Grande Dam" always seals the deal and I enjoy the stretch and walk about in TPE.
tcook052 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
In my experience, CX has taken a significant downturn in service over the last few years. That was not an inconsiderable part of my decision to switch from oneworld (emerald) back to *A (clawing back up from no status). Took AC to HKG for the sevens a couple of weeks ago, and found J-class (without yesterday's updates) to be a significant step up.

CX lounges are only better if you're OWE or flying in F. The J class lounges are not sufficiently better than the SQ or TG lounges to warrant making a decision on that basis. If you're in paid J, the signature suite in YYZ is miles ahead of any J class lounge that CX has got.
longtimeflyin and Bonaventure like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
I'd take a direct flight to HKG rather than a stopover in TPE, or anywhere for the matter. The BR onboard product is superior, but the AC product isn't bad and I wouldn't avoid it. 10am AC and 3:30 PM CX departures work for me over a 1:45 AM departure. The AC signature lounge is significantly better than the YYZ Intl PP Lounge. Also, not much happening in TPE at 5:30 AM

If I were to take a 1 stop trip to HKG, I'de probably fly AC759 / SQ1, when I use to fly this route, the SQ lounge was open, but I think its since closed, as has the BR lounge.
I've not been in the Infinity Lounge in TPE, but have spent time in the Star Lounge and while its nice, its not worth adding 3-4 hours to my trip.

Last edited by sram; Apr 18, 2018 at 10:51 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Air Canada has improved to the point where under certain circumstances, it would be my preferred carrier. Having flown all three in J on this route, alliance and schedule notwithstanding, I prefer CX (better lounges, IFE) > BR (better catering) > AC (direct and *A).

One more point of consideration is the number of delays experienced on the TPE-HKG (and v.v.) route. It's not uncommon for flights to be delayed 30-60 minutes, which possibly could impact your connections.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
My two cents

I just completed the YYZ-HKG return trip about 10 days ago, and have to say that the entire trip was ordinary. The plane was fine, cleanliness was good, staff was ok, food was ok. Besides the incredibly awful AVOD choices, the entire journey was incredibly ordinary. I still don't understand the new Signature lounge in YYZ. It is an utterly soul-less, boring. and overly precious answer to a question that I suspect very few people were asking. But, despite the absolute ordinariness of this entire trip, and for my $5000, it is still absolutely worth putting up with such an ordinary experience in order to board in Toronto and then step off in Hong Kong about 16 hours later. No fuss, no muss, no transfers, lay-overs, etc... WIth e-Channel expedited entry, I was on the train to HK in minutes. For someone that is only spending 5 jam-packed nights in HK with little time to spare, the few hours lost diverting to Taipei makes EVA a non-starter. And wishing to keep building my Star Alliance miles for status, Cathay simply won't work. So, as much as AC does a merely acceptable job of getting me from here to there in a manner befitting the money I've laid out, I will take the direct flight every time. Oh, and it also goes without saying the 10 am departure allows me to connect easily from Montreal, and the afternoon departure from HKG is incredibly civilized if you can get a 1 pm check out from your hotel.
sram and King Chung Huang like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
if you want to get there fast, take CX or AC, whatever is cheaper. BR is nice but not sure if the additional travel time is worth it. also consider timings. AC leaves at about 10 am and gets into HKG mid afternoon. CX leaves late night and gets into HKG at abt 6 am. i prefer AC on this count.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
I would fly non-stop if possible. I would also fly AC for the Signature Suite lounge, because the food is fantastic (elite restaurant quality) and it's the best business class lounge in the world. I had a great departure experience and would do it for the lounge. CX has great HKG lounges but the SSL is just so private and chill to be in.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by AC*SE
CX lounges are only better if you're OWE or flying in F. The J class lounges are not sufficiently better than the SQ or TG lounges to warrant making a decision on that basis. If you're in paid J, the signature suite in YYZ is miles ahead of any J class lounge that CX has got.
This! With the AC SS the ground experience in YYZ is superior to CX's HKG base without OWE or F (especially if you also consider the poor T3 YYZ experience).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:34 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
This! With the AC SS the ground experience in YYZ is superior to CX's HKG base without OWE or F (especially if you also consider the poor T3 YYZ experience).
I would disagree. The opening in March of The Deck for business class passengers offers an excellent experience when it comes to catering. This recent review with photos highlights this:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...g-kong-airport
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
I would disagree. The opening in March of The Deck for business class passengers offers an excellent experience when it comes to catering. This recent review with photos highlights this:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...g-kong-airport
As far as I can tell the new lounge will maintain the CX J lounges' buffett food and made to order noodle bar, not a la carte table service as is available in the AC SS. So I would still give the edge to AC in this regard, and especially considering the frightful state of YYZ T3 compared to *A lounges in HKG.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
As far as I can tell the new lounge will maintain the CX J lounges' buffett food and made to order noodle bar, not a la carte table service as is available in the AC SS. So I would still give the edge to AC in this regard, and especially considering the frightful state of YYZ T3 compared to *A lounges in HKG.
Quite frankly I don't understand what is so special about a noodle bar. That has been a CX offering for the last 15 to 20 years.

The ACSS is far superior.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be OK with BR or AC. When Mrs. acysb87 joins the flight, BR wins hands down. She Is very aware of very clean lavatories on BR and the FA cleaning after every J pax usage of J lav.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by midnightmartini
Hello all, I would be interested in your thoughts for the most comfortable J flight to Hong Kong. I’m flying from Toronto. I’m ok with connecting flights if the flight experience is good (comfortable private seat, tasty food, any extras like PJs, cool amenities, clean lav, nice lounges/ground experience)

Air Canada is direct, however EVA stops in TPE - on my return will I need to grab my luggage in TPE airport and go through customs?

I’ve never flown Cathay but I heard the planes are generally old.

Thanks for any insight!
Well Midnight, 42 answers later and you have a veritable wealth of experience laid before you! Ya gotta love this place. If I were in your shoes I'd go outbound on AC taking in the new Signature Lounge/Service and inbound come back on BR with La Grande Dame (maybe taking in a short visit to Taipei) and get to taste both carriers. I took CX to HKG and back to YVR last year and it was fine 'cept I found the cabin crew to be somewhat robotic. I slept well and the food and wine was very good. Whatever you choose to do, be sure to come back to this place and tell us how it went. Safe journey.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
I would fly non-stop if possible. I would also fly AC for the Signature Suite lounge, because the food is fantastic (elite restaurant quality) and it's the best business class lounge in the world. I had a great departure experience and would do it for the lounge. CX has great HKG lounges but the SSL is just so private and chill to be in.
Oh come on. Those flights depart to HK from YYZ depart at 10am. What great things are you going to eat at 8 to 9 am? You can't even enjoy an alcoholic drink.

Best business lounge in the world? Not in my book as long as LCBO rules the roost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.