Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best J experience to Hong Kong - via Air Canada or EVA?(or Cathay?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Hello all, I would be interested in your thoughts for the most comfortable J flight to Hong Kong. I’m flying from Toronto. I’m ok with connecting flights if the flight experience is good (comfortable private seat, tasty food, any extras like PJs, cool amenities, clean lav, nice lounges/ground experience)

Air Canada is direct, however EVA stops in TPE - on my return will I need to grab my luggage in TPE airport and go through customs?

I’ve never flown Cathay but I heard the planes are generally old.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by midnightmartini
Hello all, I would be interested in your thoughts for the most comfortable J flight to Hong Kong. I’m flying from Toronto. I’m ok with connecting flights if the flight experience is good (comfortable private seat, tasty food, any extras like PJs, cool amenities, clean lav, nice lounges/ground experience)

Air Canada is direct, however EVA stops in TPE - on my return will I need to grab my luggage in TPE airport and go through customs?

Thanks for any insight!
If alliance allegiance is of no concern, definitely CX.

No idea where the old planes comment might originate, but definitely not relevant to this route.

EDIT: Adding some data.

AC uses the 77L on this route, which were delivered between 2007 and 2008.
CX uses the 77W on this route, which were delivered between 2007 and 2015.

Last edited by capedreamer; Apr 17, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by midnightmartini

Thanks for any insight!
If you fly with EVA through Taipei you will not need to clear customs or collect your luggage. You simply have to go through security again which is a breeze.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I like EVA. The pods are comfortable, although I don't recall them being too different from AC. You get PJs, and for a while they served Dom P as their champagne. (I don't recall what it is now). The service is consistently excellent. On at least a couple of flights the crew were very concerned that I turned down dinner because I wanted to sleep, and offered alternatives at different times. The downside is the departure time. It's 01:45, which is a lot of hanging around in the Priority Lounge (although you can stay in the MLL until they close). Transfers in TPE are easy, and they have several nice lounges. Fares are comparable these days.
TheFlyingProf likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
definitely eva
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I won't comment on CX as I haven't flown them recently, but I did a YYZ-TPE-PVG a couple months ago that I was quite pleased with. The seat was spotless, great cabin service, good (clean!) mattress pad and duvet and lavs remained clean throughout the flight. TPE is a convenient airport to connect through and EVA has good lounges. The YYZ TPE flight gets in around 6am, so if time is not a concern take an evening flight to HKG and spend the day touring around Taipei.

Obviously, a nonstop flight gets you there faster, but if that isn't a requirement I would recommend EVA over AC.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm surprised at all the BR love for YYZ-HKG. If price is the same, I'd seriously consider CX.

But I don't know if I'd unnecessarily add a connection for no reason (i.e. if you wanted to stop over in TPE, it would be different).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
CX various lounges in Hong Kong are quite nice. Also, you will be arriving early in the morning from Toronto and you can use The Arrival lounge and have breakfast and a shower.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-arrival.html

Air Canada announced today enhancing their business class product with the Signature Service. You may want to look at the updated info, it’s a nice improvement:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-service.html
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm surprised at all the BR love for YYZ-HKG. If price is the same, I'd seriously consider CX..
I would much rather take a direct on Cathay in this case however I have always found EVA prices to be a few hundred dollars less than Cathay because of the one stop. This really comes down to cost benefit analysis and that is to each their own.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Academic
I like EVA. The pods are comfortable, although I don't recall them being too different from AC. .......
Just to be "detailed"

BR and CX pods are nothing like AC's. BR, CX and AA (on their new 777-300ER) use the same pod/manufacturer with some design and functionality differences. These are nothing like AC's. AC's new pods have significantly better quality IFE. These are my photos.

This is BR - IMO, the best in comfort and design.

This is CX.

Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:27 pm

I've only taken EVA going east, i.e. overnight, but everything was great with both the hard and soft product. And (sorry Calgarians) the steak they served was even better than at Smugglers...).
The champers was Veuve Cliquot "La Grande Dame".
IMHO you should try EVA at least on one of the TPACs.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, it looks like AC is out of the running. I've often taken AC TATL, and find the seat comfortable, but the soft product boring (same amenities always, same champagne always, lackluster food, sometimes good/sometimes grumpy service, same food in MLL). To try something new, I wouldn't mind a connecting flight.

Now it's between EVA and Cathay. EVA advantages have been nicely explained above - this one will probably be my choice, especially if I can squeeze in a stopover for a day or two (is this an option?).

What are the pros of Cathay?

Thank you!

Last edited by midnightmartini; Apr 17, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
Just to be "detailed"

BR and CX pods are nothing like AC's. BR, CX and AA (on their new 777-300ER) use the same pod/manufacturer with some design and functionality differences. These are nothing like AC's. AC's new pods have significantly better quality IFE. These are my photos.

This is BR - IMO, the best in comfort and design.

This is CX.

Thanks as usual for the lovely photos. The photos you have attached do show this but unless one is paying attention one would miss this. The Cathay pods offer less privacy because the plastic hard shell is cut out near the waist level. This would mean more room to turn and flail around (I'm reminded of Jack) but this also means the Cathay pod are less private.

I also find Cathay's cabin temperature to be much better for me than EVA's. EVA typically has their cabin temperature around 24'C, and Cathay is usually a bit colder than that.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
CX various lounges in Hong Kong are quite nice. Also, you will be arriving early in the morning from Toronto and you can use The Arrival lounge and have breakfast and a shower.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-arrival.html

Air Canada announced today enhancing their business class product with the Signature Service. You may want to look at the updated info, it’s a nice improvement:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-service.html
Oh I didn't know about the new AC J product! Thanks for the link.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Perhaps some trip reports would help:

Cathay:
HKG-YVR
HKG-EWR

Eva:
TPE-YYZ
LAX-TPE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.