Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC-NRT Removed from Schedule after Summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYC-NRT Removed from Schedule after Summer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by sram
agree. Its a good transfer point for HKG, KUL, SIN, MNL, and orthers. HND just doesn't have the international transfer options that NRT has.

With YUL/NRT taking over the AC5/6 numbering, should we read anything into that? Are their changes to the YYZ/HND route? This is my preferred flight when conducting business in Japan as NRT is just too far out of the city.
Well, AC YYZ-HND will now be AC 1 and AC2. Flagship route someone said.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
This reminds me of when LH had FRA-YYC a few years back...always seemed full, but apparently very low yield, so it didn't last long. I also wonder if the 3x/week just made this unappealing for business pax, especially when a one hour hop to YVR opens up so many other options.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Not surprising, I can’t see how this route is competitive . I’d rather go to yvr and fly on a competitive product, or better yet hope that ANA is using the 789.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Not surprising, I can’t see how this route is competitive . I’d rather go to yvr and fly on a competitive product, or better yet hope that ANA is using the 789.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
For Hard product its a toss up between AC old Pods (easy to sleep on your side) vs New pods (better tv and cleaner). Id take either over NH lay flat J which you dont always get out of YVR.

Food and service on NH far better but i prefer sleep.

Last edited by 300rwhp; Apr 3, 2018 at 3:56 pm Reason: sp
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
For Hard product its a toss up between AC old Pods (easy to sleep on your side) vs New pods (better tv and cleaner). Id take either over NH lay flat J which you dont always get out of YVR.

Food and service on NH far better but i prefer sleep.
new pods are "cleaner" !?!?!
I never flew in the 767 pods, but I would not describe the new pods as clean, unless it is a brand new aircraft .
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I never flew in the 767 pods, but I would not describe the new pods as clean, unless it is a brand new aircraft .
Eh, since the pods are newer they must be cleaner, no?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YoYUL

As for YOW-LHR/FRA, there's too much government traffic J demand for those routes to be MAXed to offer only a Y+ (domestic J) product, plus I doubt that YOW-FRA is even within 7M8 range. I'd imagine these will go 788 as a) the capacity increase could easily be absorbed and is quite frankly long overdue at YOW, and b) it's easy to continue rotating the widebody on a Rapidair...where the demand is needed in the evening peak as it is. While the 788 may not be optimized distance wise for YOW-LHR/FRA, the it is the optimal aircraft size for YOW. The fact that AC are using the 788 on YUL-FRA this summer shows there is a precedent for its usage on such stage lengths. I doubt YOW-LHR/FRA will go 333 given the lack of a YYZ 333 crew base = harder to rotate aircraft + a bigger capacity jump.
Agreed on YOW-FRA. Speaking to Ac staff in Ottawa, loads have been healthy when running during the summer months.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
Last time I took that NRT-YYC flight it was packed full. There were about 25 passengers transferring in YYC to a flight to Yelllownife. It was a Nov flight and they were all going to see the northern lights. It's a popular trip for many Japanese ladies.

Air Canada direct flights between Yellowknife and Vancouver to return in September | CBC News

You might be onto something...looks like AC feels this crowd can be better taken care of via YVR (or YVR and YYC/YEG in the off season).
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
The new pods are a lot cleaner than the 767/330 pods.

I've done some YYC-NRT flying, and admittedly I go through YVR for the 787 product:

1) I prefer the new pods when in J.
2) when not in J, when I am with our toddler, I'd rather fly in PY, which the 767 does not have.

If AC had the 788 year round on YYC-NRT then I would fly that.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
I fly to Tokyo twice a year, but I have not flown AC9/10 in the past two years, purely because of 767 and I definitely want to fly 787.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Air Canada - Calgary to Tokyo Direct Flight

I booked my direct flight from Calgary to Tokyo this December and got the notice last week that my flight has been cancelled. Did some research on Air Canada's website, it appears they are stopping the service after the end of October, anyone knows if this is just temporary or are they going to completely shut down that route?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by nave888
Air Canada direct flights between Yellowknife and Vancouver to return in September CBC News

You might be onto something...looks like AC feels this crowd can be better taken care of via YVR (or YVR and YYC/YEG in the off season).
Perhaps like there's actually a lounge for the YVR-NRT leg?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 931228
I booked my direct flight from Calgary to Tokyo this December and got the notice last week that my flight has been cancelled. Did some research on Air Canada's website, it appears they are stopping the service after the end of October, anyone knows if this is just temporary or are they going to completely shut down that route?
Welcome to FT!

It appears that the YYC-NRT flight will no longer be running during the winter. AC could, in theory, put it back on the schedule at some point, but probably not that likely.

The somewhat offsetting good news for you is that this should open up opportunities for you. AC's base case will probably be to re-route you via YVR on the same date, but you may now be able to change your date slightly, cancel and get a full refund, or potentially re-route a different way. Not sure whether AC would let you go YYC-YUL-NRT or YYC-YYZ-HND if you were looking to rack up a few extra miles, since they don't show up as options on ac.com, but could be worth a shot.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:11 am

If my memory serves me right, wasn't this route used to be operated by NH? Perhaps we can see NH coming back to YYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.