Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AE mixed reward upgrade on AC metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G

Good afternoon,
On Tuesday I am flying the following on an AE reward:

YOW - YYZ (Y)
YYZ - YVR (J)

I've been checking for the YOW - YYZ segment to come up in J on AE, but so far no go.

Two questions -

First, Is it possible to request to be put on the waitlist BEFORE I get to YOW on Tuesday, like when I check in (or if I call them within 24 hours)? I'm assuming the option to eUpgrade will show up when I checkin, but I do not want to use the credits (or pay the copay) for something I have already paid for in points.

Second, if I change the flight due to a weather delay, can I request the agent to seat me in J on an alternative flight, even if no I availability is there?

Thanks!

EDIT: And, before anybody says, yes, I know it's just a one hour flight and I will most likely survive with the commoners in the back
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dr_torch
First, Is it possible to request to be put on the waitlist BEFORE I get to YOW on Tuesday, like when I check in (or if I call them within 24 hours)? I'm assuming the option to eUpgrade will show up when I checkin, but I do not want to use the credits (or pay the copay) for something I have already paid for in points.
Only via the concierge.

But it doesn't matter. Check-in time affects onload priority, but the time at which you were added to the list does not.

Second, if I change the flight due to a weather delay, can I request the agent to seat me in J on an alternative flight, even if no I availability is there?
You can definitely request it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Only via the concierge.

But it doesn't matter. Check-in time affects onload priority, but the time at which you were added to the list does not.

Thanks @canadiancow. Can you tell me, Does my E35K status help me in this case, or does booking class (I assume X is bottom of the barrel) make more of a difference?

I've used eUpgrade credits on X rewards before, but does this differ? Technically I have already paid the miles.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:29 am

Thanks @canadiancow. Can you tell me, Does my E35K status help me in this case, or does booking class (I assume X is bottom of the barrel) make more of a difference?

I've used eUpgrade credits on X rewards before, but does this differ? Technically I have already paid the miles.
Using eUpgrades would place you lower on the list, so I'd stop thinking about that

Assuming this is a 2 cabin aircraft, you'll be above all E35Ks.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Using eUpgrades would place you lower on the list, so I'd stop thinking about that
Agreed, I morally object to even being asked if I want to use credits when I booked a J reward.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AC P25K
Hi all, looking for advice on this,

Have the following mixed cabin AE Business/Economy mixed reward booked for my parents (2 tickets):

LGA-YYZ AC727 Mar31 Business (I)
YYZ-YVR AC183 Apr1 Economy (X)

Booked AC183 & its 40J, thinking that would get better chances at "upgrade" into business

Is the below likely how it goes?
- check AE, and if "I" space opens up, call in and change (likely not happening with 5 days out?)
- request to be on upgrade list at T-24hrs check-in (can this be done via app, or do I need to call in, or need to be in person at airport..)
- and can this be immediately confirmed or need to wait until boarding time
- I booked them using my lowly P25K account, they themselves have no status, does this enhance their chances at check-in?

Given all this, how are my chances at getting 2 business seats?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:10 am

Unless you're Super Elite, you can only get added to the onload list by an agent at the airport.

It will not be confirmed until the gate.

Your status is irrelevant. Only the passenger's status matters.

AC 183 is all 9s right now, so I'd say your chances are extremely good.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Since I started this thread, I may as well tell you what happened.

Arrived at YOW and asked the agent to add me to the upgrade list, which she did. I ended up at the top, but as cow says, it depends on status.

I was upgraded at the gate.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:23 am

Since I started this thread, I may as well tell you what happened.

Arrived at YOW and asked the agent to add me to the upgrade list, which she did. I ended up at the top, but as cow says, it depends on status.

I was upgraded at the gate.
Yup, proper behavior as this isn't really an 'upgrade', its merely being on the waitlist for your purchased class of service. You were at the top of the list, ahead of anyone with status (unless they were similarly waitlisted), because you possessed a reservation in J that could only be confirmed in Y seating, but for which you had a J entitlement. Hence, while AC *could* have sold the remaining physical J seats to LMU's, entitled captains, executives, etc. or actual revenue- J purchasers (including IRROPS victims) could have emerged, right up until the last minute, you definitely were not competing with non-confirmed, ie: "coupon" upgraders for the seats.

Booked AC183 & its 40J, thinking that would get better chances at "upgrade" into business

Chances are very high they'll at least get into PY. As for J, depends upon how aggressive AC is at selling LMU's, etc. Make sure they know that they can use the YYZ MLL as well.

Last edited by pitz; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:27 am

Stop deliberately misleading people.

Your fare basis code on X segments is XBP00.

On a J ticket, it wouldn't be Yxxx. It would be Jxxx, even if you're only confirmed in Y. It does not ticket the same way as revenue classes.

You haven't paid for J. You paid for the itinerary offered on Aeroplan. You paid the same price as J. But you have not paid for J.
Stranger likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:21 pm

Stop deliberately misleading people.

Your fare basis code on X segments is XBP00.

On a J ticket, it wouldn't be Yxxx. It would be Jxxx, even if you're only confirmed in Y. It does not ticket the same way as revenue classes.

You haven't paid for J. You paid for the itinerary offered on Aeroplan. You paid the same price as J. But you have not paid for J.
Who's misleading who? Just explaining how it works. J has been paid for, just that seating could not be confirmed in J due to lack of eligible inventory at the time of the reservation. AP fixed business redemptions are unique in that they only require confirmation of one segment in J to ticket.

The behavior as described here, with a no or minimum-status J-paid (but not confirmed) waitlister being at the top of the list is precisely how it works.

You may be confused with some details of how things are reconciled behind the scenes. But an Aeroplan fixed redemption in business on AC is always entitled to waitlist for J seating as that's the class of service that's been paid for. A (serviceable/dispatchable) J seat will never fly empty nor a non-confirmed (ie: in R) coupon upgrader sit in a J seat unless the J waitlist clears.

Last edited by pitz; Mar 27, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:07 pm

Your last sentence is correct. They're entitled to J (as are eUps and deadheaders) so you won't have empty J seats.

But I literally talked with AC RM about this, which involved pulling up multiple onload lists to determine the exact priority.

TICKETED cabin (X class with XBP00 fare basis is Y cabin), status, then fare class (with the X to I being at the top) is the order.

I'm above all eUpgrading AC*SE, and I'm below all AC*SM.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TICKETED cabin (X class with XBP00 fare basis is Y cabin), status, then fare class (with the X to I being at the top) is the order.
Surely you mean with X being at the bottom, no?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Surely you mean with X being at the bottom, no?
No.

It's at the top.

I don't like that, but it's the way it's implemented.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:30 am

Interesting to know that X is at the top of the list when it comes down to fare classes for the upgrade waitlist.
I also thought X was at the bottom till I read canadiancow's post here.
Is this a recent change or was X always at the top?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.