Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC assigns additional responsibilities to senior VP of People and Culture

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

Seen & noted:

https://www.skiesmag.com/press-relea...eople-culture/

Air Canada president and chief executive officer Calin Rovinescu has announced that Arielle Meloul-Wechsler, senior vice-president, People and Culture, will take on additional duties with responsibility for Corporate Communications at Air Canada.

“Arielle has wide management experience and a proven record of accomplishment, with Air Canada being named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers for five consecutive years. Through her leadership of our successful culture change initiatives, which have also heightened customer engagement, she has been deeply involved in the most fundamental aspects of our transformation. This experience positions her well to effectively now also manage communications with our various stakeholders as we continue our path to become a leading global carrier,” said Rovinescu.

In addition to her existing responsibilities, in her new role as senior vice-president, People, Culture and Communications, Meloul-Wechsler will oversee all aspects of Air Canada corporate communications, including social media, corporate reputation and employee communications. She will also lead Air Canada community investment programs focused mainly on the well-being of children and youth with management oversight of the Air Canada Foundation.

Meloul-Wechsler was appointed senior vice-president, People and Culture in May 2017, responsible for overall leadership for human resources, labour relations, customer service training, employee communications, and culture change initiatives across the company.

A member of Air Canada’s executive team since September 2013, she was previously senior director and then vice-president, Human Resources.

Prior to that, she was assistant general counsel and director of legal services at Air Canada, where her practice groups included corporate financings, reorganizations, M&A transactions, business outsourcing arrangements, information technology, strategic purchasing and intellectual property.

She is also Air Canada’s champion of official languages.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:42 am

Air Canada's new Senior Vice President of Apologizing.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
perfect qualifications for People and Culture....sigh
Fizzer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
this should have been announced April 1
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
SVP of "Peoplekind"

Jasper2009 and Fizzer like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by KDS777
SVP of "Peoplekind"

With having the head of HR called "VP of People and Culture" are they following WestJets lead or is this is a more global trend in Corporate Canada.

I would have expect communication lumped in with Marketing, however perhaps this is an indication that they understand one of their biggest challenges is getting their internal team and all these contractors ("partners") that wear AC uniforms at airports globally following the same playbook.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Through her leadership of our successful culture change initiatives, which have also heightened customer engagement, she has been deeply involved in the most fundamental aspects of our transformation.
I must have missed something. Could someone enlighten me?

What cultural change initiatives?
In what way(s) are customers more engaged?
What has transformed?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I must have missed something. Could someone enlighten me?

What cultural change initiatives?
In what way(s) are customers more engaged?
What has transformed?
Racing to the bottom, I work at the airport, are the cultural change initiatives.

Customers are more engaged in writing their AC experience through customer relations, social media, and CBC.

Y seats and Altitude program have transformed.

Does this answer your questions?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
With having the head of HR called "VP of People and Culture" are they following WestJets lead or is this is a more global trend in Corporate Canada.
VP of People (and similar titles) is pretty common down here. My company has a Chief People Officer, and one of her major responsibilities is culture.

​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Can confirm that my North Carolina HQ'd global company has an EVP/CPO. And that culture is a constant point of conversation internally an on discussion with "the street".

I, personally, remain a healthy cynic.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by songsc

Racing to the bottom, I work at the airport, are the cultural change initiatives.

Customers are more engaged in writing their AC experience through customer relations, social media, and CBC.

Y seats and Altitude program have transformed.

Does this answer your questions?
Yes, I see. In terms of culture change initiatives, you forgot "The customer is thine enemy."

Seriously, though, the fact that they are combining the roles of SVP of People and Culture with that of Corporate Communications suggests to me that they're not taking either very seriously. I am on the board of a public sector authority, where we have just split those two very same roles because we felt both needed more attention than one person could give.
pitz likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
VP of People (and similar titles) is pretty common down here. My company has a Chief People Officer, and one of her major responsibilities is culture.

​​​​​
I have always managed engineers or technical types. When I send them on the technically oriented training they are happy, when I send them on the HR organised training they ask what did they do be punished. Usually left explaining it is like that cold medicine they advertise on TV, it is good for you but tastes bad.

Back to AC....

I don't envy this VPs role. Air Canada is such a large and complex organisation with all of these internal and contracted front line employees, trying to drive cultural change is not going to be easy.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I don't envy this VPs role. Air Canada is such a large and complex organisation with all of these internal and contracted front line employees, trying to drive cultural change is not going to be easy.
Is that where arrogance maxes out though? As they say, fish rots from the head.
Fiordland and KDS777 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
George Orwell scenario in progress!
KDS777 and Fizzer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:33 am
Original Member

Brazil.....
Where hearts were entertaining June
We stood beneath an amber moon
And softly murmured "Someday soon"....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.