Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Paying for an infant seat to a reward flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for an infant seat to a reward flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: AC Altitude E%dK
Originally Posted by PursuitTraveller
Thanks. How old was your toddler ? I'm scared that 22-23 months may be too old?

Also, confirmed with Aeroplan. You can purchase infant ticket separately by calling the airline directly and then requesting the seats together.

​​​​
From experience, it depends less on age, and more on your child, their temperament and their willingness to sit on your lap for the duration of your flight. I've seen 2 year olds who would be perfectly happy to sit on their parents lap for a 6 hour flight. Some kids would rather be held than sit in a seat on their own.

On the other hand, my son after about 1 year old developed a strong desire for his own personal space and not be held for long periods. Flying with him as a lap child became a physical exercise for his parents. Once we started buying him a seat, he would sit quite happily in his car seat (we used the Cosco Scenera as it's super light weight and great for air travel), often sleeping for more than half the flight, allowing us parents to sit back, enjoy our meals and a few drinks ourselves while he slept, watched TV or read books. Indeed, paying extra for our son's own seat felt like our own version of parental business class - if you have afford it, it makes for a much more enjoyable flight.

Also recommended if you can afford it - paying for the seats with extra leg room so you have more room for things. This also ensures the people infront won't have their seats kicked. I prefer these to Premium Economy or Business Class as you still have the advantage of movable arm rests (as long as you don't book a bulkhead row).

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Problem with paying for infant tickets is some airline uses full fare basis to calculate 10%, which may end up similar to a regular fare.
Also Aeroplan's $100 or 10,000 miles flat rate to add an infant is a pretty sweet deal for overseas travels (not so much for North America)

Honestly, I still don't see how buying a separate ticket for kiddo is 'safer'...... For me, we ended up having to hold GHT Jr, because he couldnt sit still regardless of his own seat or being seated with us.
That's a good point, it is sometimes worth comparing the price difference for overseas flights between the 10% fare and a child's fare for a seat. It may not be as big of difference as you'd think.

Flying is much safer than driving, and given the number of flights that happen lap-infant injuries and fatalities have been extremely rare - I would have had no problems having my son as a lap child for longer if he would have tolerated it. That said, I don't think there's any denying that in the event of something like a AC624 crash landing in Halifax, a child strapped into a car seat would be safer. Even those incidents are very rare though.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YYC3722
P.S. for the respect of others in the plane please ensure you bring bags that can be sealed to dispose diapers in.
This is excellent advice.

Respect yourself, your significant other and your children's safety, ensure they have a seat to themselves with an appropriate car seat / restraint.
This suggestion, however -- that parents who choose to travel with their <2 year olds as lap children don't respect themselves, their significant other or their children -- is downright insulting

Honestly, I still don't see how buying a separate ticket for kiddo is 'safer'...... For me, we ended up having to hold GHT Jr, because he couldnt sit still regardless of his own seat or being seated with us.
+1 ^
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:56 am

I have several opinions as well as experience with this.
Air Canada / Aeroplan seem to have no clearly documented way to sell / award seats to a person under 2 years of age.

The Skyriders program does not exist for a person under 2 years of age, try explaining to a very observant child why the older sibling gets something they are denied when both are flying paid J with fairs equal to their parents fairs. Other * airlines (ANA) get this right.

Respect yourself, your significant other and your children's safety, ensure they have a seat to themselves with an appropriate car seat / restraint.

If your children can not behave or are disruptive in J then get used to Y or alternatives to flying.
Dont agree..... Air Canada & Aeroplan's policy for under 2 is pretty clear......
- Aeroplan > $100 or 10,000 miles + taxes
- Air Canada > Free within Canada, Taxes to US and 10% adult fare Internationally

For GHT Jr, we received Skyriders activity materials for most of our flights. IME, more to do with whether the crew wants to hand it out.

The other benefit of lugging a car seat is you can use it in a car rental. Other than that its a PITA to carry it around.

Sorry - I rather take a noisy kid than some disruptive DYKWIA person in J class.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your children can not behave or are disruptive in J then get used to Y or alternatives to flying.
Being disruptive in J is not OK, but in Y it is?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E%dK
The other benefit of lugging a car seat is you can use it in a car rental. Other than that its a PITA to carry it around.
I'd recommend a light weight travel car seat such as the Cosco Scenera ($100CAD). We strap this to a small stroller with a couple of bungees. This works very well - and is fairly quick to take on/off going through security. The setup is also convenient because the stroller can be used to hold other items through the airport.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonours Gold, AC 35K, Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by PursuitTraveller
Thanks. How old was your toddler ? I'm scared that 22-23 months may be too old?

Also, confirmed with Aeroplan. You can purchase infant ticket separately by calling the airline directly and then requesting the seats together.

​​​​
I was buying my son a seat at 18 months - he was like a crazy cat trying to get at things and his own seat was way better. There is a catch under 2 - you have to have approved restraint for them either their car seat if it works on a plane or something like then the kids fly safe harness.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just to add to the thread: My son is going to be 2 shortly after a trip we planned, so we decided to get him his own seat since we have a ton of miles and he is a handful, so being strapped in will be good for everyone.

I was able to book all 5 tickets on Aeroplan by selecting 2 adults + 3 children "over 2" but then when I went to fill in the passenger details, I used his real birthdate (which is "Under 2") and the form accepted it and I got my confirmation. Seems to work easily.

So
Infant own seat, just book it on the site
Infant lap seat, need to call in
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.