Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Paying for an infant seat to a reward flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for an infant seat to a reward flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Paying for an infant seat to a reward flight?

Hi All,

Our son will be turning 2 this year and we have enough points to fly long-haul for myself and my wife. Is it possible to book the flight for the two of us, and pay for the extra seat separately? What would be the approach? to book using points and call aeroplan after and pay separately for the extra seat? If we have multiple segments, is it possible to paying for the seat with longer flight duration and not pay for the short-haul flights (under 2-3 hours)? i.e YYZ> HND and HND>YYZ pay for the seat but the flights in between just fly on lap?

Your suggestion/advice are appreciated. Would love to hear from people that may have done this as buying 3 separate tickets would be more expensive than adding an infant to an existing reward flight.

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
It looks like you need 3 seats on certain flights and have enough points to get 2 of the 3 as rewards. If that's the case, then I'd make a reward redemption for one parent and one child first, then buy a ticket for the other parent as a regular revenue ticket on the exact same itinerary. During seat selection, simply choose 3 adjacent seats.

You should also call Air Canada and ask them to "link the PNRs" so there's an indication in their systems that you're all flying together despite being on two separate bookings.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
It looks like you need 3 seats on certain flights and have enough points to get 2 of the 3 as rewards. If that's the case, then I'd make a reward redemption for one parent and one child first, then buy a ticket for the other parent as a regular revenue ticket on the exact same itinerary. During seat selection, simply choose 3 adjacent seats.

You should also call Air Canada and ask them to "link the PNRs" so there's an indication in their systems that you're all flying together despite being on two separate bookings.
Thanks for the reply. In theory, what you're saying works. However, in my case, the reward flight I'm looking for, on google flights they are much more expensive so it doesn't work out.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:02 pm

related question :

flying YEG-YUL-GVA on paid PE tix. Need to add my 1month old baby and want to use bid for upgrade to C. should I add my kid first and then place the bid or the opposite way (place the bid, add kid afterwards, but before/after bid has been accepted ?)
any advice appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PursuitTraveller
Thanks for the reply. In theory, what you're saying works. However, in my case, the reward flight I'm looking for, on google flights they are much more expensive so it doesn't work out.
A bit confused here.

You saying you are comparing between getting a seat vs. a lap infant with no seat? Presumably the trip will end before the kid is 2 then?

Doesn't Aeroplan have a provision for lap children, which requires phoning in after you book your reward?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
A bit confused here.

You saying you are comparing between getting a seat vs. a lap infant with no seat? Presumably the trip will end before the kid is 2 then?

Doesn't Aeroplan have a provision for lap children, which requires phoning in after you book your reward?
Correct - trip will end well months before he turns 2. We want to know how we can add(and pay) another seat on aeroplan for the infant without having the extra miles. We have enough points for two passengers, and not three. Although, we can book the trip with the baby on lap, we're considering getting a seat as he's an active baby and for our sanity.

We're hoping to for example use the 60K per passenger, book the flight and PAY for the infant seat as an extra cost. Is that possible on aeroplan? Buying miles is obviously not an option as @ 4c we're looking at easily $2,400 for one seat.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct - trip will end well months before he turns 2. We want to know how we can add(and pay) another seat on aeroplan for the infant without having the extra miles. We have enough points for two passengers, and not three. Although, we can book the trip with the baby on lap, we're considering getting a seat as he's an active baby and for our sanity.

We're hoping to for example use the 60K per passenger, book the flight and PAY for the infant seat as an extra cost. Is that possible on aeroplan? Buying miles is obviously not an option as @ 4c we're looking at easily $2,400 for one seat.
Did you read the Aeroplan reward search page?

For infants under two years old, please book your flight reward online, then call the Aeroplan Contact Centre to include any infants to your booking. Fees may apply. [...]

Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Yes, calling them after booking your flight is to pay for the infant taxes $50 + taxes. We wanted to know what happens if we wanted to book a seat for the infant without having the miles and what cost. I couldn't connect a call with them as they have been busy all day.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:52 pm

But he wants to buy a seat for the kid........ even though under 2....
PursuitTraveller likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, calling them after booking your flight is to pay for the infant taxes $50 + taxes. We wanted to know what happens if we wanted to book a seat for the infant without having the miles and what cost. I couldn't connect a call with them as they have been busy all day.
Obviously then it's the same as for an adult... Whether paying or on points. (OK, might be marginally cheaper, possibly because of taxes.)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:56 pm

GHT Jr just turned 2.....and we leveraged Aeroplan for all our travels during the first 2 years...... Here is what I understand:

Option 1 - Book Aeroplan tickets for adults, and add kiddo for $100+tax or 10,000 miles. In this option:
(1) most airlines reservations will lock your PNR and you cannot select seats in advance
(2) big bird you may be able to request for a bassinet, however it sits on your lap on planes w/o bassinet
(3) most airlines kiddo is limited to baby meal (BBML). I only had 1 exception experience on another *A partner

Option 2 - If you want a seat for kiddo, then its another reward or revenue ticket
(1) everyone gets a seat
(2) everyone gets a meal and you can request for child meal (CHML)
(3) expensive & costly, something I personally would wait for 2+ when it becomes mandatory
(4) some airlines may have issues w infant and J/F pods

Personally, I look at Option 1 as a limited time great deal offer!

Hope this helps.
GHT
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E%dK
I found trying to buy a seat for my son when he was under 2 to be one of the most difficult things I've ever done with Air Canada. Some agents will mistakenly tell you that it's not even possible. It seemed like it was completely impossible with Air Canada Vacations. I never did try to buy an Aeroplan ticket for my son.

You are doing the right thing by buy your son a seat - both for safety and comfort.

Depending on the destination, an infant can fly on a child's fare which will save you some (but not a lot) of money. For example, the last time I flew to Europe, our son was about $100 cheaper. There is no child discount on Aeroplan points though. I would probably find the flights you want on Aeroplan, then immediately call AC reservations to get a price for the same ticket for a child to decide if the fare is worth it. If you book then book the Aeroplan ticket - and get a PNR, they should be able to book an individual child ticket and then link the PNRs.

Make sure to reserve seats together, which should be complimentary as you're flying with a child (this is true even if on separate PNRs - I've done it, though having one as an Aeroplan reservation could complicate).

Note that linked PNRs isn't ideal in that it you'll likely be seated apart in the case of IRROPS or equipment changes, though you will likely be given at least 2 seats together and can always try to swap for the 3rd.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
GHT Jr just turned 2.....and we leveraged Aeroplan for all our travels during the first 2 years...... Here is what I understand:

Option 1 - Book Aeroplan tickets for adults, and add kiddo for $100+tax or 10,000 miles. In this option:
(1) most airlines reservations will lock your PNR and you cannot select seats in advance
(2) big bird you may be able to request for a bassinet, however it sits on your lap on planes w/o bassinet
(3) most airlines kiddo is limited to baby meal (BBML). I only had 1 exception experience on another *A partner

Option 2 - If you want a seat for kiddo, then its another reward or revenue ticket
(1) everyone gets a seat
(2) everyone gets a meal and you can request for child meal (CHML)
(3) expensive & costly, something I personally would wait for 2+ when it becomes mandatory
(4) some airlines may have issues w infant and J/F pods

Personally, I look at Option 1 as a limited time great deal offer!

Hope this helps.
GHT
Thanks. How old was your toddler ? I'm scared that 22-23 months may be too old?

Also, confirmed with Aeroplan. You can purchase infant ticket separately by calling the airline directly and then requesting the seats together.

​​​​
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
I have several opinions as well as experience with this.
Air Canada / Aeroplan seem to have no clearly documented way to sell / award seats to a person under 2 years of age.
The Skyriders program does not exist for a person under 2 years of age, try explaining to a very observant child why the older sibling gets something they are denied when both are flying paid J with fairs equal to their parents fairs. Other * airlines (ANA) get this right.
Respect yourself, your significant other and your children's safety, ensure they have a seat to themselves with an appropriate car seat / restraint.
Bassinets are never a sure thing and are not able to be used in turbulence and in unexpected turbulence provide near zero safety.
Show up early to check in, we have had several issues, most common is the booking agent adjusting the birth year to get the tickets issued and not adjusting it back to the correct date.
Ensure you have a printed boarding pass available for the duration of the flight to ward off those who insist on moving your child out of that spare seat without undo conflict.
If your children can not behave or are disruptive in J then get used to Y or alternatives to flying.
A ratio of one child to one adult is recommended, now is the time to recruit other family members for your round the world jaunts.
We traveled 70,000 mi + as a family last year and are traveling this year with a new baby and not regretting it yet.

P.S. for the respect of others in the plane please ensure you bring bags that can be sealed to dispose diapers in.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:16 am

Thanks. How old was your toddler ? I'm scared that 22-23 months may be too old?

Also, confirmed with Aeroplan. You can purchase infant ticket separately by calling the airline directly and then requesting the seats together.

​​​​
We did multiple TPACs and several Canada-US flights from 2 months to 22 months..... On average we did a trip every 4-6 months or so.....
Problem with paying for infant tickets is some airline uses full fare basis to calculate 10%, which may end up similar to a regular fare.
Also Aeroplan's $100 or 10,000 miles flat rate to add an infant is a pretty sweet deal for overseas travels (not so much for North America)

Honestly, I still don't see how buying a separate ticket for kiddo is 'safer'...... For me, we ended up having to hold GHT Jr, because he couldnt sit still regardless of his own seat or being seated with us.
AceReport likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.