Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Assaulted abroad. Under what circumstances will AC waive change fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assaulted abroad. Under what circumstances will AC waive change fees?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
One-way drop-offs can be quite expensive.
Yes they can, especially internationally, but at least he wouldn't have to pay the change fee to the airline.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Welcome to Flyer Talk, @unsatisfied. Sadly, but understandably, you will get no compassion from Air Canada.

But you have been through something and deserve and need compassion. I implore you to seek out a friend, or trusted coworker. At least, dig through the papers the police gave you and call the local victim services group. You need that even if FL can miracle you to Vancouver today. FT can not give you a hug.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:53 am

Sorry this has happened to you, but it can happen anywhere including Canada.
For such instances, my suggestion is to engage the police and hotel management ASAP.

With regards to hotel, I also suggest using social media (i.e. twitter/facebook of the hotel and putting a warning note on Trip Advisor/Yelp). Hopefully this will catch the attention of the hotel management and make your stay more safe & secure.

Not sure what the airline can help you with, but you may want to search for AC fares out of SJC as alternative to SFO. I find SJC fares are a lot lower (to YYZ - $160 vs $455 on Tango One Way). In addition to searching SJC to YVR, try SJC to YTZ, YYZ, YYC, YEG and just drop the last leg.

Also you may want to travel domestic to a border city and find a ride home (i.e. Seattle, Buffalo etc...). In my recent stay (a few weeks back), one way rental fee with Enterprise from San Fran downtown to SJC was $25 on top of car rental cost.

Hope this helps and if you require further help, feel free to reach us.....
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:36 am

I didn't see anything inexpensive for today but if you fly tomorrow you can take Allegiant Airlines from Oakland to Bellingham $139.00
and then you can hop a bus to get you back to Vancouver
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:58 am

Here is the website for the shuttle between Bellingham and YVR
https://www.ridebooker.com/transfers.../quick-shuttle
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
It looks like all AC flights direct SFO-YVR for today, Feb 23 are pretty much sold out....not even an Aeroplan seat using Priority Rewards is available.

As others have mentioned, if you want to get home today, so will need to look at alternative airlines, and possibly airports.

Very sorry to hear what happened to you.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Regretable as the situation is, I am not sure why it is AC that should take the financial hit here. The desire to return home is absolutely understandable. But, the entity which could and likely would facilitate this is the hotel. OP has chosen for social reasons not to involve the hotel (although by contacting the police, she has effectively done so).. Those social reasons may be valid as well. We have to take OP's word for that.

But, why is AC the deep pocket of last resort? OP chose an inflexible fare and has someone (or some thing) which would handle the change. Either pay the cost of the change (or likely simply purchase a new ticket) or run whatever risk there is in asking the property to pay up.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Regretable as the situation is, I am not sure why it is AC that should take the financial hit here.
Why do you assume the change of flight would necessary cost AC anything. If there is a space now it will cost nothing other than the administrative cost to rewrite the ticket. I don't think they will do it but the financial angle is guessing and not debating.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:38 am

[QUOTE=unsatisfied;29448920]Long-time creeper, first-time poster. Unfortunately it is a negative experience tonight that has brought me to create an account and seek your advice and experience./QUOTE]

You should have indicated an emergency situation requiring an immediate return ............. If required a doctors note would be appropriate to get the change even on your credit card.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Why do you assume the change of flight would necessary cost AC anything. If there is a space now it will cost nothing other than the administrative cost to rewrite the ticket. I don't think they will do it but the financial angle is guessing and not debating.
And an additional 200lb sack of meat flying their longest route will cost pennies in gas and a few dollars in "food". It is an industry heavily weighted capitol and fixed operating costs. Fees are how they have any income at all.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
And an additional 200lb sack of meat flying their longest route will cost pennies in gas and a few dollars in "food". It is an industry heavily weighted capitol and fixed operating costs. Fees are how they have any income at all.
Oh, its you again, don't expect much more than you deliver.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:25 am

I would suggest reaching out to the hotel next since you reached out to the police, they are probably your best bet, especially since it was on their property. Most hotels would at least have lobby cameras, so that should be of some help. If it was just a knock on the door, likely you were targeted, which would mean he was following you at some point.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

I agree with others that while it would be a nice gesture for AC to wave change fees, doing so should be seen as a pleasant surprise not an expectation.

If you are open to a different kind of travel experience, you could take Amtrak to Seattle tonight and then connect to a bus to Vancouver - takes about 24 hours, but consider it a scenic adventure. Cost per amtrak.com for the journey is anywhere from $117 to $368 US depending on what level of comfort you want.

There are also some regular posters to this forum who live in SFO and might be willing to provide some company/emotional support over the weekend if you elect to stay until Sunday.
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by The Lev
If you are open to a different kind of travel experience, you could take Amtrak to Seattle tonight and then connect to a bus to Vancouver - takes about 24 hours, but consider it a scenic adventure. Cost per amtrak.com for the journey is anywhere from $117 to $368 US depending on what level of comfort you want..
Amtrak does go to Vancouver (Pacific Central station, same as Via) but I don't know if it can be bought as one ticket from San Francisco. You may have to change trains in Seattle.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thank you for your help, everybody.

Originally Posted by newfbc
There's a flight available @ 06:35 - 12500 Aeroplan plus $70. You don't have that in your Aeroplan account or Amex MR?
Thanks for checking for me. Actually, I do not, as I just emptied out my account for an upcoming trip.

Originally Posted by JumboJet
Can't you rent a car and drive home?
Also looked into this; would take me two days to drive up and the money would be the same as a flight change.

Originally Posted by expert7700
Or $259 including taxes on American leaving at your choice of 6am, 8am, or 12:20pm today sfo-yvr (via phx or lax). If you'd have gotten Air Canada to waive the change fee but charge fare difference.... OR waive fare difference but charge the (?$200) change fee it would still have only saved you a few $.
Thanks for your replies, expert7700, super helpful. The American fare was in USD and after being on the phone with AC until 2:40am (wait times were 90 minutes+) and with what happened yesterday, I needed some rest.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
The hotel is unwilling to help you despite the fact they are associated with your employer? How would they treat a normal guest?
More a case of I am unwilling. I work for the hotel brand, am here on an associate rate approved by my boss, and going after the hotel would essentially mean having to disclose the extent of the assault to my employer, which I am not comfortable with right now. Need to give this more thought, though I will eventually report it for sake of future guests' safety to the brand. This is not an avenue that will help me get home today anyway -- not like this franchised hotel is going to buy me $1000 flights.

Originally Posted by smallmj
Once you get home, however you get home, be sure to contact a mental health professional.
Thank you for saying this and for your concern. I absolutely will be doing so, for the reasons you stated.

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Not sure what the airline can help you with, but you may want to search for AC fares out of SJC as alternative to SFO. I find SJC fares are a lot lower (to YYZ - $160 vs $455 on Tango One Way). In addition to searching SJC to YVR, try SJC to YTZ, YYZ, YYC, YEG and just drop the last leg.
Great point, never thought of SJC. I will start looking for that now and hopefully can find something reasonable.

Originally Posted by Often1
Regretable as the situation is, I am not sure why it is AC that should take the financial hit here.
While I did not want to dignify your post, I just want to point out AC would not be taking any financial hit. They may miss out on a $200 change fee, but still have an opportunity to resell a seat two days out. No financial hit there. I work in revenue management so I'm well-aware of what their counter-argument would be. When somebody's house burns down, as a hotelier, we offer reduced rates as to not 'take advantage' of an unfortunate situation, even if it is our last available room. Clearly wishful thinking, but I assumed some level of the same courtesy would be offered here.

Thank you everybody for your kind suggestions and help. Still working on a way to get back home, with more avenues to explore thanks to you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.