Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What is up with TATL fares in mid March?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is up with TATL fares in mid March?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Good time to consider a world traveler pass no?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jc94
Colleague recently had $7k quoted to fly YYZ WAW return around this time. He’s going with another carrier for $2.5k.
Forget WAW, for $7,000 he can fly AC to SYD or BNE.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was thinking of starting my own thread about this, but it fits here pretty well.

I have an annual budget for "learning and development". It's fairly large. However, I still have a travel policy. And while it doesn't explicitly say "don't book full Y when Tango K is available", I also don't want to be the guy who ruins something good.

I'm willing to book AC to attend a conference in Europe. However, I want to upgrade. So I want to book PY, Latitude, or Flex. Preferably PY (since it's cheaper than Latitude, and higher onload priority than Lat or Flex).

However, on the dates I looked at (which are pretty fixed because it's a conference), the cheaper of Flex and PY (I think it was PY one way, Flex the other, to get the cheapest upgradeable ticket) is twice the price of "cheapest AC", which is slightly more than "cheapest".

So sure, this means that little old bottom-feeding cow can't upgrade.

Except this travel is entirely discretionary.

So I stay home, and AC gets no money. *A gets no money. No airline gets any money.

They really suck at extracting revenue from discretionary travelers.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by 24left
Forget WAW, for $7,000 he can fly AC to SYD or BNE.
Random Dates, Business Lowest YYZ-LHR April 19-23 $7,532
On the same dates,YYZ-SYD is $7,670
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

However, on the dates I looked at (which are pretty fixed because it's a conference), the cheaper of Flex and PY (I think it was PY one way, Flex the other, to get the cheapest upgradeable ticket) is twice the price of "cheapest AC", which is slightly more than "cheapest".

So I stay home, and AC gets no money. *A gets no money. No airline gets any money.

You need to plan more in advance.

Mind you, these fares may come down too. I would not rush. Also, there is always latitude passes. Which I was ready to give up on because P fares often look good; but if the issue of the current thread is here to stay, sure I can change my mind again.

(I am looking at summer already. So far, looks OK.)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I was thinking of starting my own thread about this, but it fits here pretty well.

I have an annual budget for "learning and development". It's fairly large. However, I still have a travel policy. And while it doesn't explicitly say "don't book full Y when Tango K is available", I also don't want to be the guy who ruins something good.

I'm willing to book AC to attend a conference in Europe. However, I want to upgrade. So I want to book PY, Latitude, or Flex. Preferably PY (since it's cheaper than Latitude, and higher onload priority than Lat or Flex).

Depending on where the conference was, I'd still take a few days off work, fly in Y and not worry about AQM. You're pretty privileged regardless brother!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
You need to plan more in advance.

Mind you, these fares may come down too. I would not rush. Also, there is always latitude passes. Which I was ready to give up on because P fares often look good; but if the issue of the current thread is here to stay, sure I can change my mind again.

(I am looking at summer already. So far, looks OK.)
I can't buy a flight pass for this. At best, I could buy one with my own money and expense the credits. But even that would be significantly more than cheapest fare, which probably would be frowned upon.

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Depending on where the conference was, I'd still take a few days off work, fly in Y and not worry about AQM. You're pretty privileged regardless brother!
I have no interesting in flying Y TATL. And I don't need to, so I won't. But it means AC loses my fare.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You're still a noob here if you suggest that cow fly Y when there is a J cabin.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I find it funny that people have often said that AP redemptions on this route is highway robbery because YQ is so darn expensive.

You see, Air Canada fixed this problem by then raising prices to astronomical numbers, thus making an AP redemption look cheap.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hahaha fair enough! Flying in Y is much better than some of the days I have work, so I'd do it for sure. Especially if it's a solid city in EU.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I find it funny that people have often said that AP redemptions on this route is highway robbery because YQ is so darn expensive.

You see, Air Canada fixed this problem by then raising prices to astronomical numbers, thus making an AP redemption look cheap.
Oh right. This explains it. But then I can also same money by travelling LX instead of AC.

Originally Posted by 24left
Random Dates, Business Lowest YYZ-LHR April 19-23 $7,532
On the same dates,YYZ-SYD is $7,670
I’m sure he’d prefer SYD over WAW in March but the travel requirement is for WAW. His last trip also avoided AC metal over LH for most legs because again, massively cheaper (J TPAC at like a week out)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That's maybe part of my problem - the same week I'm travelling.
Must be nice having parents who take their kids to Paris for Spring break.
My kids think so... Taking them to Sydney, Australia for Spring break this year- using up 4 J seats that could have been available for upgrade- sorry guys !!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Is it? I had not noticed.

(OK, for us SEs they still do things reasonably right.)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't buy a flight pass for this. At best, I could buy one with my own money and expense the credits. But even that would be significantly more than cheapest fare, which probably would be frowned upon.
Some of us end up paying the difference out of our own pocket... Life is just too short.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Depending on where the conference was, I'd still take a few days off work, fly in Y and not worry about AQM. You're pretty privileged regardless brother!.....Flying in Y is much better than some of the days I have work, so I'd do it for sure. Especially if it's a solid city in EU.
No kidding! The old clichés "sometimes half the trip is getting there" or "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey" don't ring true in cases such as this.
Professional development. Set in Europe. For free? Yes please.

So sure, this means that little old bottom-feeding cow can't upgrade. Except this travel is entirely discretionary. So I stay home...I have no interesting in flying Y TATL. And I don't need to, so I won't.
Your loss, I guess. Carpé diem, even it it includes not having warm nuts, or having your nuts warmed. The indignities of zone 3 boarding and 9 hours not being fawned upon by faux-interested FAs is a very small price to pay for the upsides of such travel. I just finished four full-xQM TATL crossings in Y, and had very comfortable row-to-myself travel each time, for a fraction of the cost of PY or J. And enjoyed immensely my destinations.

But it means AC loses my fare.
Your fare, perhaps. But it sounds like they'll get somebody else's fare instead, so I can't imagine them feeling too badly.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Life is just too short.
Amen.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Feb 15, 2018 at 1:38 pm Reason: quote attribution

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.