Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada flight prices went up $120 in two days!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada flight prices went up $120 in two days!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:34 pm

I've found repeated searches counter-productive. I was watching a certain "YYZ to somewhere-USA" and after four or five days all of the AC prices started rising, and kept rising. I do attribute that to my daily checks, and although RandomBaritone denies individual searches have any effect, I'm pretty sure even AC's IT system can detect a pattern of searches.

I don't do that (daily checks) no more.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
It's worse than described. I was literally in the midst of purchasing business class to SIN and wham bam the system cut out on me in the middle of transaction and the fares went up $2000+ roundtrip. Even the routes that still have P fares have been whacked.
If I can't get what I want, I will go China Southern or try the Finnair option. This is just ridiculous. There is absolutely no consistency with AC. Meanwhile, Air China still has options of $3400-$3800. I am almost tempted to give AC the middle finger and purchase a more convenient option with Air China. It's just that I abhor transfers in PEK and PVG and flights on the B777 cattle carriers with non existent F&B that serve the routes to HKG/BKK/SIN/ICN. Thankfully, Cathay does the routes to SIN/HKG/BKK. Adding insult to injury, the only options available via aeroplan are via India or have the deceitful J class redemptions with most of the seats in Y. They offer the J seats I need on some segments for a different destination, but those same flights are unavailable if I book from potential ports. And now I see that Aeroplan is down for maintenance for a few hours. How absolutely brilliant. Yup, I am not a happy client.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It's worse than described. I was literally in the midst of purchasing business class to SIN and wham bam the system cut out on me in the middle of transaction and the fares went up $2000+ roundtrip. Even the routes that still have P fares have been whacked.
If I can't get what I want, I will go China Southern or try the Finnair option. This is just ridiculous. There is absolutely no consistency with AC. Meanwhile, Air China still has options of $3400-$3800. I am almost tempted to give AC the middle finger and purchase a more convenient option with Air China. It's just that I abhor transfers in PEK and PVG and flights on the B777 cattle carriers with non existent F&B that serve the routes to HKG/BKK/SIN/ICN. Thankfully, Cathay does the routes to SIN/HKG/BKK. Adding insult to injury, the only options available via aeroplan are via India or have the deceitful J class redemptions with most of the seats in Y. They offer the J seats I need on some segments for a different destination, but those same flights are unavailable if I book from potential ports. And now I see that Aeroplan is down for maintenance for a few hours. How absolutely brilliant. Yup, I am not a happy client.
Better call a lawyer immediately.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Yea my guess is you just missed a sale or something. The price fluctuate a lot, of course, but unless you NEED to fly AC, I'd open myself up to other options. That AC flight is gonna be Rouge, so it's not great, you could just as easily fly 1 stop on AA, UA, DL, CM or AM. Might be able to get a better price too. Don't be worried about arriving at like 2am in LIM, especially if you speak Spanish, it's perfectly safe and lots of flights arrive at that time, so there's plenty of taxis and whatnot. The only issue I had arriving that late on AM was I couldn't buy a sim card at the airport.

Back to the subject of pricing...the moral of the story is, set yourself a reasonable budget and stick to it. If you think you can get a YYZ-LIM return for < $700 and see one RIGHT AWAY, ok maybe keep searching a bit and circle back, but when you find a price you're ok with or like, just buy it. Don't worry about pinching every penny. The other option is you can buy from sites with price guarantees if you're really paranoid. Off the top of my head I can't think of one, but I know I've seen them. OTAs that guarantee if you find a lower price they'll pay the difference. Alternatively UA has a price lock that'll keep your price for 5-7 days (I forget) for like $10, so that you can lock it in, if your worried, while you keep looking. The LAST alternative is just buy a flight and living in north america all the airlines (at least I think it's all of them) will let you cancel within 24 hours of purchase for no fee and won't care why you're doing it. So if you like a price, you can grab it, then if you're feverishly looking the next day and find something better you can call back and cancel.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

That’s just not true. For one, there isn’t an airline in existence that has the IT capability to pull off such a stunt on a per-passenger basis. But more to the point, it flies in the face of everything we know about customer behavior. There simply isn’t credible marketing research showing that most customers are more likely to buy when they see prices going up. A few may behave this way, but not enough to make it a profitable strategy. In fact in most situations, the opposite is true: if a customer thinks s/he is getting a bargain, they’re more likely to pull the trigger.

Now obviously if an airline sees demand in the aggregate going up, it may raise prices or restrict fare classes. That goes without saying. But the notion that they’re watching your individual search patterns and price-maximizing you is a conspiracy theory.
Still a very unscientific comment so just take it with a grind of salt - it's true that most consumers will pull the trigger when there is a bargain - that's given that the consumers can walk away because there is no urgent need for the said product and no harm will be done to the said consumers. However, airlines know that you have a need for travel and there are only certain ways to go from places A to places B on any specific day. Don't forget AC has monopoly on a lot of direct routes ex-Canada, especially international travel.

I think I should have more specific - when one clicks through all the purchase process when the inventory is taken away from GDS but doesn't pull the trigger - I have seen enough times that the inventory does not go back to the system - resulting into higher fares available later. For the searching part at least my experience with Delta numerous time forces me to think that simply searching will result into higher fare. But again, coupled with people buying and cancelling and time closer to departure no one really know why.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
AC and most other airlines don't want you to be able to predict when the prices will be low
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
AC and most other airlines don't want you to be able to predict when the prices will be low
Not airlines, or most other businesses either.

Remember, *they set prices.* It's not a market.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Armchair Conspiracy Theorists!

ACT now!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
In the spirit of this thread, I had been looking for a TATL flight, and I found one for ~$1040 in K. I wasn't quite ready to book, so I called my TA and got her to hold the space. Lo and behold, today, when I'm ready to ticket, K is zeroed out, and the next lowest class that would be available had I not held that space is in H for $600 more
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by pewpew
In the spirit of this thread, I had been looking for a TATL flight, and I found one for ~$1040 in K. I wasn't quite ready to book, so I called my TA and got her to hold the space. Lo and behold, today, when I'm ready to ticket, K is zeroed out, and the next lowest class that would be available had I not held that space is in H for $600 more
how can I find travel agents that cando such things as hold space, book complex itineraries shown on ITA Matrix and so on ?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

how can I find travel agents that cando such things as hold space, book complex itineraries shown on ITA Matrix and so on ?
Not a problem finding a TA able to book an itinerary found on Matrix. If transatlantic or transpac leg(s) on AC, usually even phoning AC will work.

Last three times I ended up using our former corporate TA, he did get me a one way ticket on BR with YYC-YVR on AC, which neither AC or BR would sell directly, Then a YYC-NRT mixing NH and BR that again I was unable to book online. Then an itinerary from ICN to China on some Chinese airline, followed by a Chinese domestic leg to Dalian, and finally back to ICN on Asiana. All three from Matrix.

This year I got two AC+LH itineraries found on Matrix booked on the phone with AC. In one case (+SN also) the agent suggested I would get it cheaper using for instance Expedia. Was quite surprised when his price came up precisely as I expected.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by khkchan
I have seen enough times that the inventory does not go back to the system - resulting into higher fares available later.
There is a latency regarding "does not go back to the system". It's not permanent, but not immediate speed of light.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
There is a latency regarding "does not go back to the system". It's not permanent, but not immediate speed of light.
Wrong.

AC has the worst IT of all airlines except for this. Somehow they are masterful IT wizards for managing inventory and published fares on a customer by customer basis.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Prices do not drop. When seats at the lowest fare bucket sell out you will have seats at higher fare buckets.
Not quite true. Prices do indeed fluctuate up and down, even when certain fare classes sell out. Although I have yet to discover a pattern (likely because there isn't one without inside knowledge of specific loads/yields), it's possible to get lucky and snag a seat at a lower price than was advertised beforehand.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by pewpew
while it’s possible to hold the space I believe the fare still needs to be current and valid when you call in the following day to complete the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.