Wiki Posts
Search

Access to MLL "Age of Majority"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Access to MLL "Age of Majority"

My daughter was travelling alone and refused access the YYZ domestic lounge using a guest pass that I gave her. She is 18 years old and they told her that she could not gain access as alcohol is served and she is not of legal drinking age in Ontario. The terms of the Guest Pass says that "anyone under age of majority must be accompanied by and adult" It goes on to state that "age of majority is determined by the jurisdiction in which the lounge is located" In Ontario the age of majority is defined as 18. This is different from the legal drinking age of 19. I called the concierge who spoke to the lounge agents who insisted that entry is tied into legal drinking age. I argued that under the terms of the pass they cannot deny her access and that if their intent which, I can understand is legal drinking age, then they should be amending the terms of the guest passes. Needless to say she was not allowed in even though I believe she had right of access
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 75K
Regardless of what was listing on the pass, the T&C's of admittance require adherence to local liquor laws, which in Ontario means you must be 19.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

"For the safety of our younger guests, each lounge strictly adheres to local laws and regulations regarding the serving of alcoholic beverages. Minors must be accompanied by an adult lounge guest."
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
There was an SE on FT a few years ago. I don't know if he still posts.

Was under age (musician, if memory serves) and wasn't allowed in, either.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by exCPT
My daughter was travelling alone and refused access the YYZ domestic lounge using a guest pass that I gave her. She is 18 years old and they told her that she could not gain access as alcohol is served and she is not of legal drinking age in Ontario. The terms of the Guest Pass says that "anyone under age of majority must be accompanied by and adult" It goes on to state that "age of majority is determined by the jurisdiction in which the lounge is located" In Ontario the age of majority is defined as 18. This is different from the legal drinking age of 19. I called the concierge who spoke to the lounge agents who insisted that entry is tied into legal drinking age. I argued that under the terms of the pass they cannot deny her access and that if their intent which, I can understand is legal drinking age, then they should be amending the terms of the guest passes. Needless to say she was not allowed in even though I believe she had right of access
Well, we can act like a Philadelphia lawyer on this one or we ask the common sense question of would an 18 year old be allowed unfettered access to alcohol in a province where the legal age is 19.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC
So if she presented the guest pass before 11am she would be granted access and asked to leave once alcohol is allowed to be served? As I originally posted, I get and understand what the intent is. The guest pass T&C's however are not reflective of this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by exCPT
So if she presented the guest pass before 11am she would be granted access and asked to leave once alcohol is allowed to be served? As I originally posted, I get and understand what the intent is. The guest pass T&C's however are not reflective of this.
I have to say I wondered about this. However I fear not... even if her BP said she was departing before 11 admitting her would mean AC was responsible for kicking her out before 11.

While some airlines may offer than service for those in F (or higher). AC won’t for non VIPS let alone those on a voucher.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
There was an SE on FT a few years ago. I don't know if he still posts.

Was under age (musician, if memory serves) and wasn't allowed in, either.

I believe you are referring to the renowned @jlisi984 .

If so, he certainly still posts here.
lcohen999 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You do need to be the age of majority. That doesn't mean it's the ONLY requirement.

You also can't be piss drunk. Or naked. Or below the legal drinking age if the self-serve alcohol is out.

I actually suspect that the rules might be different in YYC, where I continue to be asked to show my ID at the bar.

As for @jlisi984, I believe they actually changed the rules because of him, though I don't think it's for "everyone", just for people with (a certain level of?) status.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I actually suspect that the rules might be different in YYC, where I continue to be asked to show my ID at the bar.
Do you show something with a birth date on it, or your SE card?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Hey now, don't insult cow's intelligence.

He shows his father's SE card.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I'll make sure I name my little boy SK Jr.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I show something valid for boarding a flight

I've actually started asking how old they think I am. They're usually correct within a year or so. All that tells me is that they've been directed (by AC? the province?) to card anyone who looks even remotely young.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All that tells me is that they've been directed (by AC? the province?) to card anyone who looks even remotely young.
No different than when purchasing alcohol or smokes at a store?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
No different than when purchasing alcohol or smokes at a store?
Well I don't buy cigarettes, and I don't think I've ever purchased alcohol in Alberta, but I find I get carded more in the YYC MLL than in LCBO.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I don't buy cigarettes, and I don't think I've ever purchased alcohol in Alberta, but I find I get carded more in the YYC MLL than in LCBO.
Is "carded" and "cutoff" the same thing here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.