Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice: stick with UA for 2018, or switch to AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: stick with UA for 2018, or switch to AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I find this kinda of funny. Do you really have so many miles you can't burn them? I never have that problem. Even if you needed to use them to pay taxes and fees which is a horrible redemption/use of them.
I'm a bit of a hoarder by nature, but I've adopted a more churn-and-burn attitude since the split was announced. Nevertheless, I don't like knowing that there is a deadline by which I need to use up my miles, especially when there is no graceful way to transition to the new AC program.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Life’s too short to make choices of airlines on supposed loyalty - access policy to AC Signature Suite good reminder of AC very short term thinking.

fly what works best for schedule, service, dollars - count status as incidental benefit.

good luck in your decision as in long run, well you know the answer to that phrase

Last edited by skybluesea; Jan 2, 2018 at 8:32 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Member

He he he... never having heard of Signature Suites I went looking for info. I was not surprised to find that the text describing who is NOT allowed in is about 5x longer than that describing who is:

All bookings in R (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, AC Bid Upgrades) and I (including, but not limited to, Aeroplan® Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards® for travel on Air Canada flights or Star Alliance® member airlines, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers will not be allowed guests.
And stay out!!!

SLAM!
AleEat likes this.

Last edited by KenHamer; Jan 2, 2018 at 2:16 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I find this kinda of funny. Do you really have so many miles you can't burn them? I never have that problem. Even if you needed to use them to pay taxes and fees which is a horrible redemption/use of them.
I think I have written that I view them as a sort of liability. I do have trouble burning them. I mostly give them away to friends, family and charities I work with which also means I incur the costs of taxes/fees (hence the liability)(and yes I have occasionally used them for taxes and fees too). I appreciate the miles and status so I can be generous to others that need to use them but don't see them as anything particularly useful for most of my personal travel (short haul last minute high cost trips excepted).

I only fly when I need to and usually gets me to 100k (more or less) and $20k AQD (more or less). If I used Aeroplan for too much of my own travel, I wouldn't get SE.

I have "wasted" tens of thousands of miles on error bookings (my mistakes), flights that couldn't be taken due to civil strife in a country etc. It doesn't really bother me anymore as there always seem to be more miles where they came from.

I have the same concerns about accumulating miles whether with UA or AC (ie. there is always risk to both the longevity of the program and to how I might or might not be able to use my miles). My prime motivations now are convenience, cabin comfort and value (fly cheap in the front cabin whether through upgrades or reasonable F/J fares).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Free Agent
For OP- I have never found cheapest fare + seat fee to be a bad deal for NA flights but everyone has their own metrics. Truth be told, this is how we fly the kids, not us...

As comfort and access to tools like seat assignment is important, then some level of AC status would help you get to that goal with your travel pattern- esp if you can use the outside of Canada 50% dollar waiver to meet *G status.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I appreciate the miles and status so I can be generous to others that need to use them but don't see them as anything particularly useful for most of my personal travel (short haul last minute high cost trips excepted).
I can see this if most of your travel is international and you want to take non-AC flights, but couldn't you easily burn these miles on a "market" fare J trip?
Old May 15, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond
Advice AC or UA after reaching UA Gold

Hi all,

I would like some friendly advice on where to credit my weekly flights between YUL & ORD. I am based off Montreal.
Since April, I've been travelling between YUL & ORD almost weekly. Depending on pricing and scheduling, I use both AC & UA metal.
However, I have been crediting all the traveling to my UA MP account. With a few MR to asia, I just achieved UA MP Gold (*A Gold).
I'm wondering if I should switch to my AC aeroplan and credit the short weekly flights between YUL & ORD, or should I continue with UA MP and try achieving higher status? I read somewhere that I can request a fast track with AC and get Altitude 50K with something like 18.5 PQM.
Most of my work flights will be transborder, but since YUL is my home airport, I will most probably be using AC for other travels.

Thanks for any the advice
Old May 15, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by ttyl
Hi all,

I would like some friendly advice on where to credit my weekly flights between YUL & ORD. I am based off Montreal.
Since April, I've been travelling between YUL & ORD almost weekly. Depending on pricing and scheduling, I use both AC & UA metal.
However, I have been crediting all the traveling to my UA MP account. With a few MR to asia, I just achieved UA MP Gold (*A Gold).
I'm wondering if I should switch to my AC aeroplan and credit the short weekly flights between YUL & ORD, or should I continue with UA MP and try achieving higher status? I read somewhere that I can request a fast track with AC and get Altitude 50K with something like 18.5 PQM.
Most of my work flights will be transborder, but since YUL is my home airport, I will most probably be using AC for other travels.

Thanks for any the advice
It depends in part what you ultimately want to use those points for. UA has historically had lower fees and surcharges on redemptions, and has often had better availability than AC. Apart from that, I'd also continue crediting to UA to achieve higher status with one, rather than splitting and having lower status with two.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
It depends in part what you ultimately want to use those points for. UA has historically had lower fees and surcharges on redemptions, and has often had better availability than AC. Apart from that, I'd also continue crediting to UA to achieve higher status with one, rather than splitting and having lower status with two.
Also depends on the fare price, since UA MP uses a revenue-based system. As the crow flies, it's about 1500 miles YUL-ORD roundtrip so with AE you'll get some derivative of points based on that distance. However, if you credit to UA MP, as a Gold member you will get 8x the fare price. Anything above $200 USD (1600 miles) will earn you more redeemable miles by crediting to United.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Stick with UA. I am regularly bailing out family members who can’t use their Aeroplan miles due to no availability or scam charges (can’t bear to see them getting ripped off like that).

Plus if you you can reach 1K, the treatment is outstanding!

I was SE for 7 yrs and have been 1K for the last 5 yrs. Zero regrets about moving to UA.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Also depends on the fare price, since UA MP uses a revenue-based system. As the crow flies, it's about 1500 miles YUL-ORD roundtrip so with AE you'll get some derivative of points based on that distance. However, if you credit to UA MP, as a Gold member you will get 8x the fare price. Anything above $200 USD (1600 miles) will earn you more redeemable miles by crediting to United.
Also if you try for AC SE you need $20K AQD. Since you are based in YUL, you do not have a AQD requirement on UA. Assuming this is still the case.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by vernonc
Also if you try for AC SE you need $20K AQD. Since you are based in YUL, you do not have a AQD requirement on UA. Assuming this is still the case.
Good point. I forgot about that. I would never qualify for SE today.

And correct, no PQD requirement with UA for non US residents.

Old May 15, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks all for the advices.
my intention was more for status benefits vs redemption miles. But as RT fares are more expensive than 200$, then UA MP would net more miles anyways

UA MP seems to be the way to go. But getting a status higher than UA MP gold will take a long time to reach unless I do some more MR to Asia.
On the other hand, I could have requested AC status challenge and should be easier to get to Altitude 50K with the 18PQS requirement. I can route through YYZ to double the PQS. For PQD, with US address would be 50%.

Would crediting to UA MP still be better that said?

thanks again
Old May 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ttyl
Thanks all for the advices.
my intention was more for status benefits vs redemption miles. But as RT fares are more expensive than 200$, then UA MP would net more miles anyways

UA MP seems to be the way to go. But getting a status higher than UA MP gold will take a long time to reach unless I do some more MR to Asia.
On the other hand, I could have requested AC status challenge and should be easier to get to Altitude 50K with the 18PQS requirement. I can route through YYZ to double the PQS. For PQD, with US address would be 50%.

Would crediting to UA MP still be better that said?

thanks again
I’m in a similar situation to you that my regular travel gets me to gold / platinum and then mileage running gets me over the line for 1K.

MR’s to Asia ex Canada are very easy to do and relatively good value on UA. Not sure where your personal travel will take you, but I think you’ll find your treatment on UA as a 1K or even as a gold far superior to what you would get with AC (at least I did).

the trade off is sometimes you’ll need to take a less convenient connection to stay on UA metal. Most of the time this isn’t a big deal for me (and wouldn’t be for you since you would have tons of connection options from YUL via IAD, EWR, ORD). And if it becomes and issue you can always book those extra 1-2 flights per year with AC and still get some of the benefits through *G status
Old May 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
With the looming AC / AP uncertainty, I'm considering the reverse (switching to UA or DL). So my vote would be a 'no'.
Aye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.