Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

1 credit left on Europe flight pass; worth it to extend for $250?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 credit left on Europe flight pass; worth it to extend for $250?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have FP'd SFO-YYZ, then Aeroplan'd YYZ-Europe-SFO.

It's very easy to end up with one leftover.
On my last flight to Europe, I used a FP credit on the way there and used AP points for business class (for me and my gf) on the way back...so more or less like what Cow describes above.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I would bet an unused extension would be more profitable.
My thinking as well....I guess my FP will expire worthless....in less than 2 hours.

This will now be my 2nd FP with expired credits...
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by CanRulez
My thinking as well....I guess my FP will expire worthless....in less than 2 hours.

This will now be my 2nd FP with expired credits...
That's a bummer. I would've gladly taken it off your hands , lousy rules.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There are some 2 person personal FPs, and I think some even allow name changes for a fee. But the 1 person passes do not allow name changes. I almost bought a 2 person SFO-YVR pass a couple times, because all I need is for one friend to need one round-trip and it makes sense. But no one ever wants to commit. Why spend that much money when you could buy Tango for half the price! And then they book at T-5 and pay more than an FP credit would cost
I do agree with you, except EVERY SINGLE TIME I've tried to convince myself to buy an FP, I can't justify the cost. Partly it's because of the flex vs tango cost. Partly because I never NEED to book last minute. My travel is all leisure now, so there's no reason to travel last minute. Even when I was looking at commuting for work from YMM-BOG-YMM the FP was basically double the cost of just buying the tango or K fares (on UA), it would've been nice to pick the same route every time, plus YYZ-BOG wasn't Rouge at that point, but each credit was like $900 when that was the same price as the return flight in tango. My other problem is with some of the passes, this one specifically, is that GRU/GIG/EZE was the same price as BOG as AC wasn't cutting SA in half, had BOG been lumped in with the Caribbean maybe it could've been better priced. The cost however for GRU etc was actually kinda competitive I felt.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I do agree with you, except EVERY SINGLE TIME I've tried to convince myself to buy an FP, I can't justify the cost. Partly it's because of the flex vs tango cost. Partly because I never NEED to book last minute. My travel is all leisure now, so there's no reason to travel last minute. Even when I was looking at commuting for work from YMM-BOG-YMM the FP was basically double the cost of just buying the tango or K fares (on UA), it would've been nice to pick the same route every time, plus YYZ-BOG wasn't Rouge at that point, but each credit was like $900 when that was the same price as the return flight in tango. My other problem is with some of the passes, this one specifically, is that GRU/GIG/EZE was the same price as BOG as AC wasn't cutting SA in half, had BOG been lumped in with the Caribbean maybe it could've been better priced. The cost however for GRU etc was actually kinda competitive I felt.
So obviously you need to do what works for you, but...

1. I have literally been invited to YVR for dinner at T-75 from the last SFO-YVR flight. I think I wrote up an "I booked an international flight at T-58" post once. Do I "NEED" to book last minute? No, this was a strong want. But it was 100% leisure, and a non-FP fare was around 50% of the cost of a 6 credit pass, and would have had me in Y instead of J.

2. I'm going to YYZ for Christmas. Either Dec 16, 17, 22, or 23. But I don't know yet. I'll find out in a day or two which "weekend" is better. That's an expensive flight, booking into Flex. Latitude FP credits offer various benefits, including free changes

FPs can be useful if you're not making firm plans 6 months out.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Free Agent
late to the thread but extending for 3 months doesn't seem to do anything other than gifting more $$ to AC. so letting it lapse seems the choice. I reconcile the 'lapse' by reminding myself how much I saved with the European FP by being able to book one ways...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:50 am

Too late for this suggestion, and since I'm using mobile I can't see where OP is located, but if not located in a major hub there could have been an option to use this for hidden city purposes.

For example, if based in YVR you could book YVR-YYZ-Europe (book separate ticket back) and then you essentially have a domestic lat flight credit for $250.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.