FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1878437-deflategate-new-executive-pods-deflating-flight.html)

Dorian Nov 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29079070)
Imagine a wooden park bench.

Lay a t-shirt on top of it.

Sit on it.

That's what it feels like.

When the seat deflates, you can knock on it and make a sound. That is not possible if it is even partially inflated.

It's like you're literally knocking on wood.

Excellent description.
I've had it on two TPAC's this year.

yyznomad Nov 19, 2017 5:29 pm

I've had a deflated seat on AC5. For the entire flight. I didn't write in and now seeing cow's comp, I hate myself for not doing so.
Funny thing is I figured I was lucky to be in J and just took it in the butt... the flight was fine.

Thank you AC for making my butt a star attraction with my friends of the opposite gender.

RatherBeInYOW Nov 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29079071)
Ugh, imagine this.. but on a TPAC

Had it happen to the lady across from me SYD-YVR this summer. They moved her behind me, which was the only empty J seat in the cabin.

D404 Nov 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Happens to me fairly often, and not just on AC...happens on OS and LH too, a not-insignificant number of times, either. Seems endemic these sorts of seats in general. FA's reactions vary from "oh this again" to complete bewilderment to calling maitenence before the doors shut.

I've had AC pro-actively offer me $500 after I brought it to the FA's attention on one occasion this year, only. Nothing on the rest, and nothing from LH or OS this year.

Unfortunately I don't know the secret AC seat codes, since even after coaxing a re-inflate, they seem to deflate again in a while. So, I usually end up using a makeshift pillow seat.

flyquiet Nov 19, 2017 5:58 pm

When it happened to me (I fly J TCON or longer very rarely), I had no idea that that wasn't what the seat was supposed to feel like, so it did not occur to me to complain or ask for a fix. But every body part in contact with the platform ("mattress") was numb and painful, and I ended up basically whirling around continuously for the duration of the flight, and did not manage any sleep. Mr. FQ had a great flight, so his seat must have been not-deflated-yet.

ridefar Nov 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Flew an AC 789 TPE-YVR. 1/8 of the J seats were deflated and unfixable. That I know of. If I had paid P/Z/J prices I would expect a lot more than $500 compensation if I was stuck in one for 13 hours.

yyznomad Nov 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Based on this thread, I calculate that AC owes me at least $25,000 (Canadian Funds).

However, because my buttocks were made firm and lovely by these seats, I'll call it a wash.

C W Nov 19, 2017 6:08 pm

What is the point of inflatable seats in the first place? Never heard of it before.

yyznomad Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 29079227)
What is the point of inflatable seats in the first place? Never heard of it before.

You can set the level of firmness/softness of the seats on the seat menu display.

This isn't coach we're talking about.

acysb87 Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29079105)
I agree.

Is it so hard to describe so hard? :p

I would suggest that those of us that regularly fly Dash bench seats know how tough your suffering is.;)

Dorian Nov 19, 2017 6:10 pm

On my last TPAC Deflategate flight I was offered two extra pillows to sit on. That was my compensation.

C W Nov 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29079229)
You can set the level of firmness/softness of the seats on the seat menu display.

This isn't coach we're talking about.

Snideness aside, does it work well? I've flown many airlines in J and F and never wished for this feature, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Dorian Nov 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 29079227)

It allows one to modify the firmness of the seat.....or in this case not.

yyznomad Nov 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 29079237)
Snideness aside, does it work well? I've flown many airlines in J and F and never wished for this feature, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

According to this thread, it never works.

But when it does, it's fine. I usually just keep it whatever it was when I plunk my butt down, unless it's completely deflated meaning I have to reset it.

InTheAirGuy Nov 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Fascinating thread. I experienced this on a LHR-YYZ earlier this year. I thought it was just me.