Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Urgent: Missed Air Canada Flight, Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Urgent: Missed Air Canada Flight, Options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Similar at TXL, I browsed landside because I was early and no queue at all. By the time it was time to head to gate, the queue was hundreds long. People were trying to cut in, "my flight, my flight", but the entire queue was for the same one flight. Nobody had any need to cut in front of anybody. They could have opened more of the closed checkpoints, I would say, but if you can go earlier and chill, that's better than making your other priorities someone else's problem.
On the OP, I would thank my lucky stars they offered to rebook for $150 SDC, not look for ways to get an even better deal.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Similar at TXL, I browsed landside because I was early and no queue at all. By the time it was time to head to gate, the queue was hundreds long. People were trying to cut in, "my flight, my flight", but the entire queue was for the same one flight. Nobody had any need to cut in front of anybody. They could have opened more of the closed checkpoints, I would say, but if you can go earlier and chill, that's better than making your other priorities someone else's problem.
On the OP, I would thank my lucky stars they offered to rebook for $150 SDC, not look for ways to get an even better deal.
^^

That said while queue was really bad at YYZ I've seen people patrol the line asking for flights in 45-60 (?) mins and skipping people ahead. I waited about 20 mins myself.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I have problems when individuals who come late to the airport are advised to ask people on the TSA line if they can go ahead. Everyone on that line has a flight to catch. Those of us who arrived at the airport to comfortably go through the line, deal with whatever extra BS TSA may offer AND get to our departure gate without running do not leave time to move backwards in line!

Everytime someone allows another person to get in front of them, they are not only moving themselves backwards BUT they are moving EVERY PERSON BEHIND THEM backwards too. So, please--dont' ask to cut in front of me. I'm going to say no!
But what if the person has a connection, and the inbound was late? Sure, that's unlikely at SAN (though I certainly have connected there due to IRROPS), but on SFO-YVR-YYZ, due to a late inbound, I had a concierge cut me to the front of domestic security. I didn't stupidly arrive late, we had a mechanical issue in SFO, and this was the last flight to YYZ of the night.

Originally Posted by etiene
No, they're not - if they're already ahead of you, reshuffling does nothing to affect your arrival at the head of the line. It's a reasonable accommodation for anyone who has arrived later than planned due to unforeseen circumstances to let them catch their flight as long as it doesn't mean you missing yours.

That said, arrive at the airport with time to spare if you can.
However, I do think it's a bit selfish to arrive late and expect other people to inconvenience themselves for you.

Maybe I arrived a bit early because I want to have a shower, or grab a meal. Wasting my time in the security line isn't going to make me miss my flight, but don't penalize me for your actions.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But what if the person has a connection, and the inbound was late? Sure, that's unlikely at SAN (though I certainly have connected there due to IRROPS), but on SFO-YVR-YYZ, due to a late inbound, I had a concierge cut me to the front of domestic security. I didn't stupidly arrive late, we had a mechanical issue in SFO, and this was the last flight to YYZ of the night.
But AC's crack IT systems will alert someone to the late inbound. Expecting the GA to reopen the flight because one PAX was lazy is unrealistic; Having the GA hold the flight open for a few minutes because someone is known to be late but inbound is strategic laziness on their part, otherwise they will have to spend time to find them another flight.

However, I do think it's a bit selfish to arrive late and expect other people to inconvenience themselves for you.
The phrase is "Your poor planning is not my emergency"
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
But AC's crack IT systems will alert someone to the late inbound. Expecting the GA to reopen the flight because one PAX was lazy is unrealistic; Having the GA hold the flight open for a few minutes because someone is known to be late but inbound is strategic laziness on their part, otherwise they will have to spend time to find them another flight.

The phrase is "Your poor planning is not my emergency"
I believe it's "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine". Someone at (running) a training session once said it was fine to put in my signature. The boss disagreed.

ACs team prefer to spend hours sorting out a misconnect than 2 mins to sort out an inbound (unless SE/VIP are involved). This is because the people who could spend 2 minutes would rather let someone else spend 2h and who cares about the pax anyway. Just my cynical view based on experiences.

The only flight I've seen wait for pax was YVR-YYJ. Well, the only "AC" flight that is, when it was announced.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
I believe it's "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine". Someone at (running) a training session once said it was fine to put in my signature. The boss disagreed.

ACs team prefer to spend hours sorting out a misconnect than 2 mins to sort out an inbound (unless SE/VIP are involved). This is because the people who could spend 2 minutes would rather let someone else spend 2h and who cares about the pax anyway. Just my cynical view based on experiences.

The only flight I've seen wait for pax was YVR-YYJ. Well, the only "AC" flight that is, when it was announced.
Is everyone here an IT geek?

At least 3 times over the winter last year, the 2310 AC 626 , YYZ-YHZ was held for as long as half an hour because the inbound from KIN was late. But it was 20-30 PAX per incident. Maybe that is the break even for being preemptive. And that that A/C was going to sit overnight in Halifax and thus wouldn't screw up anything else isn't insignificant. That might also imply that at least some of the PAX could be entitled to a hotel. Hmm.

Was your YVR-YYJ flight late at night?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:12 pm

When flights are held, it's generally because of LARGE numbers of misconnects.

But they won't risk the crew timing out.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:55 pm

All right, let's take bets. I say 80%. Next?

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 8, 2017 at 11:25 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
All right, let's take bets. I say 80%. Next?
It's funny I was speaking to some strangers recently and even before we got technical they figured out the general field I was in

No it was mid afternoon I believe. I think we waited for 5 people. I can't recall load but it was summer so odds are fairly full. What's that; 30 people?

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 8, 2017 at 11:26 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: AC E75K
4 hours out of SFO?

Holy crap. I usually take a 1530 BART from Powell for a 1650 flight.
My record at SFO was 15 minutes from my front door to the gate. 13-minute Uber ride from Dogpatch + 2-minute speedwalk through the terminal (thanks to Pre✓).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
My record at SFO was 15 minutes from my front door to the gate. 13-minute Uber ride from Dogpatch + 2-minute speedwalk through the terminal (thanks to Pre✓).
I don't think I could get from my door to the airport in 15 minutes even if I was the only car on the road

My favorite is still when I booked a ticket at T-58 while at home on my couch, and I made the flight

Point being, 4 hours is crazy. Maybe if I'm going with my mom and her checked bags and I want her to not freak out. But I have to wonder what "4 hours" means when you have a 6am flight. Do you get there at 2am?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I don't think I could get from my door to the airport in 15 minutes even if I was the only car on the road

My favorite is still when I booked a ticket at T-58 while at home on my couch, and I made the flight

Point being, 4 hours is crazy. Maybe if I'm going with my mom and her checked bags and I want her to not freak out. But I have to wonder what "4 hours" means when you have a 6am flight. Do you get there at 2am?
For a flight with no immigration checks at the origin, anything more than two hours is generally excessive. Certain exceptions (LHR, looking at you) do apply
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: AC E75K
It helped that my apartment at the time was basically right across the 25th Street on-ramp to the 280.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I have problems when individuals who come late to the airport are advised to ask people on the TSA line if they can go ahead. Everyone on that line has a flight to catch. Those of us who arrived at the airport to comfortably go through the line, deal with whatever extra BS TSA may offer AND get to our departure gate without running do not leave time to move backwards in line!

Everytime someone allows another person to get in front of them, they are not only moving themselves backwards BUT they are moving EVERY PERSON BEHIND THEM backwards too. So, please--dont' ask to cut in front of me. I'm going to say no!
I don't share the same concern as you. Ultimately, I'll arrive at my destination at exactly the same time. However, allowing the late-running passenger ahead of me could save them several hours. Why ruin someone else's day when all it means is 30 seconds less waiting at the gate or in the lounge for me?
etiene and sfosin like this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by cedric
I don't share the same concern as you. Ultimately, I'll arrive at my destination at exactly the same time. However, allowing the late-running passenger ahead of me could save them several hours. Why ruin someone else's day when all it means is 30 seconds less waiting at the gate or in the lounge for me?
This. The inconvenience is minor for me but the consequences for the late passenger would be significant. I never argue with people when they need to bypass a queue due to a tight connection or similar circumstances. And I trust people will extend the same courtesy to me when the roles get reversed.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.