FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Best way to rack up as much Aeroplan points as possible before March (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1874746-best-way-rack-up-much-aeroplan-points-possible-before-march.html)

travelvlogger Oct 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Best way to rack up as much Aeroplan points as possible before March

Hi everyone......I am a member of aeroplan and also member with asia miles. New to flyertalk. Ask for forgiveness if approach is wrong. I plan a trip to Hong Kong in March. I wish rack up as much points as possible before i reach HK. time is not a problem. what is the best way to go about it? Thanks

24left Oct 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by travelvlogger (Post 28991044)
Hi everyone......I am a member of aeroplan and also member with asia miles. New to flyertalk. Ask for forgiveness if approach is wrong. I plan a trip to Hong Kong in March. I wish rack up as much points as possible before i reach HK. time is not a problem. what is the best way to go about it? Thanks

Welcome to FT.

Can you be more specific as to what you want to do in terms of paid flying and earning on Aeroplan?

Are you planning a trip on Aeroplan to HKG or on Asia Miles?

Are you looking at J or Y reward tickets?

Are you planning on earning all these miles by flying Air Canada?

mapleg Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Fly Premium economy to HK. Use this offer (assuming it is a round trip)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...istration.html

yosemite1 Oct 30, 2017 2:02 am

Assuming you're talking about getting Aeroplan Miles, churning credit cards would be your best bet.

Chances are AMEX MR are the biggest welcome bonuses right now (unless TD/CIBC have some competitive offers). I'd suggest applying for multiple cards from the same provider on the same day. (ie. Amex gold + Amex aerogold on the same day)You'll want to hit the minimum spend on the cards and then not use them again / cancel later in the year before the annual fee charge.

Symmetre Oct 30, 2017 5:18 am

Why do you want Aeroplan points in the first place? Just pay cash for your flight, it will be cheaper.

Aeroplan points are great if you earn them for travel and purchases that you're doing anyway, and you're not spending any extra money. But to pay out of pocket specifically to collect them is insane, the points will cost you far more than they're worth.

yosemite1 Oct 30, 2017 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 28993540)
Why do you want Aeroplan points in the first place? Just pay cash for your flight, it will be cheaper.

Aeroplan points are great if you earn them for travel and purchases that you're doing anyway, and you're not spending any extra money. But to pay out of pocket specifically to collect them is insane, the points will cost you far more than they're worth.

Though, to be fair... I might argue that churning your way to a mini-RTW might be cheaper than paying for it in cash (even in Y)

flyquiet Oct 30, 2017 8:30 am

Assuming the OP wants to accumulate points to fly to HK "free", OP should be aware of cash co-payments required to use points on certain airlines, including AC. Otherwise we are merely responding to the prequel of a future rant "outrageous! my 'free' flight cost me $1000!!!"

Dorian Oct 30, 2017 10:48 am

Buy hundreds or thousands of unlimited flight passes.

alc Oct 30, 2017 2:37 pm

My comment to OP will be that are you sure by you waiting to earn all your points, will the seat still be available.. since you are talking a trip in March of next year, not 2019, correct?

If you can share your dates and the class of service, along with number of passengers, I am sure many of the experts there will provide some more options:idea for your.

yyznomad Oct 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 28994735)
Buy hundreds or thousands of unlimited flight passes.

+1

I was going to suggest a million but that would be overkill.

Symmetre Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by yosemite1 (Post 28993546)
Though, to be fair... I might argue that churning your way to a mini-RTW might be cheaper than paying for it in cash (even in Y)

The sign-up bonuses are great, to be sure, but again only if you're using the cards for spending that will be done anyway, and you can churn the card before the annual fee kicks in, and when the time comes you can even find award availability. And then there are the taxes, fees and scamcharges to contend with.

In spite of what Aeroplan claims in their advertising, there is no free lunch.

biglinguist Oct 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 28994127)
Assuming the OP wants to accumulate points to fly to HK "free", OP should be aware of cash co-payments required to use points on certain airlines, including AC. Otherwise we are merely responding to the prequel of a future rant "outrageous! my 'free' flight cost me $1000!!!"

Not so much so for a redemption to Hong Kong, though.

But, as everyone else has mentioned, that's an awfully short time to earn enough miles and then still have time to book a flight on points.

And a cash ticket toronto-HKG can be had for well under a thousand bucks...

Travellin_man Oct 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 28991724)
Fly Premium economy to HK. Use this offer (assuming it is a round trip)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...istration.html

Beaver Creek to St John's?

:confused:

yyznomad Oct 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Travellin_man (Post 28997152)
Beaver Creek to St John's?

:confused:

Like, totally... who does that? IMPOSSIBRU!

I am curious to know if the OP is a true travel vlogger. If so, is there a hidden agenda of some sort.

yosemite1 Oct 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 28997171)
I am curious to know if the OP is a true travel vlogger.

Who isn't nowadays