Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best way to rack up as much Aeroplan points as possible before March

Old Oct 29, 17, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: asia miles

Hi everyone......I am a member of aeroplan and also member with asia miles. New to flyertalk. Ask for forgiveness if approach is wrong. I plan a trip to Hong Kong in March. I wish rack up as much points as possible before i reach HK. time is not a problem. what is the best way to go about it? Thanks
Old Oct 29, 17, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by travelvlogger View Post
Hi everyone......I am a member of aeroplan and also member with asia miles. New to flyertalk. Ask for forgiveness if approach is wrong. I plan a trip to Hong Kong in March. I wish rack up as much points as possible before i reach HK. time is not a problem. what is the best way to go about it? Thanks
Welcome to FT.

Can you be more specific as to what you want to do in terms of paid flying and earning on Aeroplan?

Are you planning a trip on Aeroplan to HKG or on Asia Miles?

Are you looking at J or Y reward tickets?

Are you planning on earning all these miles by flying Air Canada?
Old Oct 29, 17, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Fly Premium economy to HK. Use this offer (assuming it is a round trip)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...istration.html
Old Oct 30, 17, 2:02 am

Programs: *G, AC E50K, Nexus, Amex Plat
Assuming you're talking about getting Aeroplan Miles, churning credit cards would be your best bet.

Chances are AMEX MR are the biggest welcome bonuses right now (unless TD/CIBC have some competitive offers). I'd suggest applying for multiple cards from the same provider on the same day. (ie. Amex gold + Amex aerogold on the same day)You'll want to hit the minimum spend on the cards and then not use them again / cancel later in the year before the annual fee charge.
Old Oct 30, 17, 5:18 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Why do you want Aeroplan points in the first place? Just pay cash for your flight, it will be cheaper.

Aeroplan points are great if you earn them for travel and purchases that you're doing anyway, and you're not spending any extra money. But to pay out of pocket specifically to collect them is insane, the points will cost you far more than they're worth.
Old Oct 30, 17, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
Why do you want Aeroplan points in the first place? Just pay cash for your flight, it will be cheaper.

Aeroplan points are great if you earn them for travel and purchases that you're doing anyway, and you're not spending any extra money. But to pay out of pocket specifically to collect them is insane, the points will cost you far more than they're worth.
Though, to be fair... I might argue that churning your way to a mini-RTW might be cheaper than paying for it in cash (even in Y)
Old Oct 30, 17, 8:30 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
Assuming the OP wants to accumulate points to fly to HK "free", OP should be aware of cash co-payments required to use points on certain airlines, including AC. Otherwise we are merely responding to the prequel of a future rant "outrageous! my 'free' flight cost me $1000!!!"
Old Oct 30, 17, 10:48 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Buy hundreds or thousands of unlimited flight passes.
Old Oct 30, 17, 2:37 pm
alc

My comment to OP will be that are you sure by you waiting to earn all your points, will the seat still be available.. since you are talking a trip in March of next year, not 2019, correct?

If you can share your dates and the class of service, along with number of passengers, I am sure many of the experts there will provide some more options:idea for your.
Old Oct 30, 17, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Buy hundreds or thousands of unlimited flight passes.
+1

I was going to suggest a million but that would be overkill.
Old Oct 30, 17, 3:18 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by yosemite1 View Post
Though, to be fair... I might argue that churning your way to a mini-RTW might be cheaper than paying for it in cash (even in Y)
The sign-up bonuses are great, to be sure, but again only if you're using the cards for spending that will be done anyway, and you can churn the card before the annual fee kicks in, and when the time comes you can even find award availability. And then there are the taxes, fees and scamcharges to contend with.

In spite of what Aeroplan claims in their advertising, there is no free lunch.
Old Oct 30, 17, 6:59 pm

Programs: aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
Assuming the OP wants to accumulate points to fly to HK "free", OP should be aware of cash co-payments required to use points on certain airlines, including AC. Otherwise we are merely responding to the prequel of a future rant "outrageous! my 'free' flight cost me $1000!!!"
Not so much so for a redemption to Hong Kong, though.

But, as everyone else has mentioned, that's an awfully short time to earn enough miles and then still have time to book a flight on points.

And a cash ticket toronto-HKG can be had for well under a thousand bucks...
Old Oct 30, 17, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
Fly Premium economy to HK. Use this offer (assuming it is a round trip)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...istration.html

Beaver Creek to St John's?

Old Oct 30, 17, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Travellin_man View Post
Beaver Creek to St John's?

Like, totally... who does that? IMPOSSIBRU!

I am curious to know if the OP is a true travel vlogger. If so, is there a hidden agenda of some sort.
Old Oct 30, 17, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I am curious to know if the OP is a true travel vlogger.
Who isn't nowadays

Search this Thread