Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-LHR options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Other than being an hour late leaving YYZ, Today's 868 was excellent. U/G cleared, service was spot-on, and they had buttonholes and KitKats!

The cherry on the Sundae was that I was third off the a/c, breezed through the eGates thanks to Registered Traveller and when I got the luggage carousel my priority tagged bag was lined up on the floor waiting for me. Yes it is a bit of a hike to get there, but does that ever happen at YYZ?

Looking forward to a proper sleep tonight and minimal jetlag tomorrow.
--
13F
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I'm booked on 858 later this week, on a D fare.

If I want to SDC onto 856 or 848, do I need D>0, or just J>0?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
LHR has been getting worse. My last two arrivals on AC were 75 mins and 50 mins wait. But now I have Registered Traveller membership so I can use the kiosks! :-)
--
13F
I was advised by many "experts" in this forum that getting the Registered Traveller membership was a waste of money. This after my hundreds of flights into LHR. So it seems that you and and I have wasted our money.

Total waste. Like super duper trooper waste.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The eGates are well worth the money or keeping a second passport My record at LHR remains wheels down to (priority) baggage (coming out as I approached) in 20 mins.

That said I do wish they'd open up all the gates when it's busy ... Reminds me of grocery shopping when there are 50 people waiting and 5/15 gates open filled with people who clearly FOTSG (at most).
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: SE (1mln+), BA Bronze, Starwood Gold, Marriott Rewards, Fairmont President's Club
The Registered Traveller card has been a godsend for me and even more so since I replaced my conventional passport with an e-one. For anybody travelling often to these shores, I would strongly recommend applying for it.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
isnt the registered traveler card 99gbp a year? vs nexus $50 for 5 years?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
isnt the registered traveler card 99gbp a year? vs nexus $50 for 5 years?
£70 I believe. And 4 visits in the last 2 years. Not that it's worth it if you only do it once a year!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I was advised by many "experts" in this forum that getting the Registered Traveller membership was a waste of money. This after my hundreds of flights into LHR. So it seems that you and and I have wasted our money.

Total waste. Like super duper trooper waste.
I agree that it is expensive, when compared to other similar programs, but standing in the immigration queue for an hour is not for me when there is another way.
--
13F
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I agree that it is expensive, when compared to other similar programs, but standing in the immigration queue for an hour is not for me when there is another way.
--
13F
£70 is about C$120. Who here charges out at $120 or more?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:46 am
Original Poster

I'm intrigued at adding wait times for immigration at LHR into the mix - thanks for that insight.

So it sounds like the morning flight means potential long lines at Heathrow in the evening.

Can anyone offer insights as to how long it takes to clear immigration when arriving first thing in the morning or midday?

(That frequent traveller option would be nice, but I'm afraid I don't qualify.)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
£70 is about C$120. Who here charges out at $120 or more?
How much time does it take to register though?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
PDQ.

I registered online, got my conditional approval, and on my next LHR trip, got my card... all within three weeks' time.

I don't give a crap what people say about this card, but it is darn well worth it. Maybe because I travelled to LHR more than most who don't live there. Also, having been grilled to the nth degree by one over zealous agent (and trying to avoid her on subsequent visits), getting this card helped avoid being asked stupid questions.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
PDQ.

I registered online, got my conditional approval, and on my next LHR trip, got my card... all within three weeks' time.
I meant more like what the process is to get the card.

NEXUS required taking time and energy to go to the interview, and would probably not be worth it if I only had one trip every 5 years.

I don't give a crap what people say about this card, but it is darn well worth it. Maybe because I travelled to LHR more than most who don't live there.
That's my point.

With the number of times I've cleared in the UK in the past 5 years, it absolutely would not be worth it for me.

If it were priced like NEXUS, and could be done entirely online with the card mailed to me, I'd do it.

But it's not worth it for everyone.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I meant more like what the process is to get the card.

NEXUS required taking time and energy to go to the interview, and would probably not be worth it if I only had one trip every 5 years.
Like I said, three weeks. Would've been faster if I has an earlier trip to LHR. The interview took place when I showed face at LHR. The "interview" took less than five minutes, then I got my card.

That's my point.

With the number of times I've cleared in the UK in the past 5 years, it absolutely would not be worth it for me.

If it were priced like NEXUS, and could be done entirely online with the card mailed to me, I'd do it.

But it's not worth it for everyone.
Yes, but that's my point too. People just tell me it's not worthwhile to anyone and everyone but they only fly into LHR like a FOTSG.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
For the UK Registered Traveller program, everything is done online.

I was approved 6 days after I applied. You get a letter that you have to bring with you on your next trip to the UK, show it to an immigration agent and they give you the card on the spot.

I believe to be eligible to apply, you need to have travelled 4 times to the UK over a 24-month period.

Renewable yearly for £50 (also done online).

Totally worth it IMO.

Last edited by DNAwizard; Nov 2, 2017 at 6:51 am Reason: Corrected the eligibilty criteria (24 months, not 48).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.