Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Nice.

Next flight I take I will ask for my free bag at the gate.
You don't have to ask. The GAs invite you up to the gate to check your bag.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
You don't have to ask. The GAs invite you up to the gate to check your bag.
Sorry, I meant them giving me bag.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Ok, honest question and not trolling, but will the change really affect key customers?
I know some of the travelpros on here are experts at packing and pride themselves on being able to travel for a week with only a carry on, while others keep it to a minimum one bag. When I am traveling I do it with just one checked bag because of the hassles of transfers between airports, ferries and trains etc. and even then I have room in the bag. This is why I ask, does it really matter? Maybe the change is intended to deal with the Y pax one sees on certain routes who max out the baggage allowance with appliances, auto parts etc. and all sorts of quasi cargo baggage?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It obviously is only targeted at Y pax. In J, you have a pretty decent allowance.

The only reason they would have done this is if there were a lot of *G passengers checking bags in Y, and either they felt it was unreasonable, or that Altitude members were not getting the same treatment on foreign airlines.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Ok, honest question and not trolling, but will the change really affect key customers?
I know some of the travelpros on here are experts at packing and pride themselves on being able to travel for a week with only a carry on, while others keep it to a minimum one bag. When I am traveling I do it with just one checked bag because of the hassles of transfers between airports, ferries and trains etc. and even then I have room in the bag. This is why I ask, does it really matter? Maybe the change is intended to deal with the Y pax one sees on certain routes who max out the baggage allowance with appliances, auto parts etc. and all sorts of quasi cargo baggage?
I know a guy that runs a custom car parts store and flies to Toronto to "stock up" every now and then, or for "super rush" orders that he charges his clients a fortune for.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Sorry, I meant them giving me bag.
Man, that went right over my head. Whoosh.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
If I was non-Altitude *G, the reduction in weight would bother me more than the reduction in # of bags. I think I am never over 50, but having the 70# limit allows me not to worry whether I am.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyquiet
If I was non-Altitude *G, the reduction in weight would bother me more than the reduction in # of bags. I think I am never over 50, but having the 70# limit allows me not to worry whether I am.
Yeah, I can do 2 bags TATL, but when I came over to Berlin, one was 24kg and the other was 11. It's nice not having to repack in front of everyone, especially when you've stuffed your bags to the gills already
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Ugh. This will be fun for my flights next year (fare error), as the only proof I have is in the itinerary.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Seems like *S gets nothing extra no matter what.

*G appears to get one extra bag over standard allowance, and not at 32kg unless J.
I purchased my tickets one day before the change Star Alliance Gold. I am okay for this flight. I just purchased tickets next year from LAX TO HKG AND PVD TO LAX looks like three bags at 23kg. Air Canada had some competitive prices recently in most markets that I am interested in traveling to.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hydrogen
From the AC website:

So looks like:

1x50lb for domestic/TB Tango
2x50lb for domestic/TB Flex

Wonder why they did it... (end sarcasm)
(but really I probably shouldn't be complaining)
Just checked the allowance on my March 2018 flights the weight of each bag has been reduced from 70 pounds to 50 pounds.

FROM Los Angeles (LAX)TO Hong Kong (HKG)

FROM Shanghai (PVG)TO Los Angeles (LAX)
AIR CANADA ALTITUDE STATUS Star Alliance Gold

Per Adult
1st bag
Free
2nd bag
Free
3rd bag
Free
Each additional bag:
$225 CAD/USD
(per direction, plus taxes*)

No overweight or oversize charges apply when the additional bag fee is paid.

Max. weight per bag:
23kg (50lb)
Max. linear dimensions per bag:
158 cm (62in)
Overweight bag:
$100 CAD/USD (per direction, plus taxes*)
for bags between 23-32kg (50-70lb)
Oversized bag:
$100 CAD/USD (per direction, plus taxes*) for bags between 158-292cm (63-115in)
If a bag is both overweight and oversized, the $100 fee is charged only once.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I booked an award with my Aeroplan account. When I went to manage my booking with my PNR it stated a $28 fee for baggage. However it did show a table stating that Star Alliance Silver gets 1 free bag. At the Airport I told the guy that I had Star Alliance Silver and he immediately said "you don't get Star Alliance benefits on Aeroplan award bookings". I was kinda taken aback by this as this was not the area I thought I would be pushed back on. I said that I had gotten free bags on Aeroplan awards before(allbeit when I was Gold) and he immediately and confidently said, "well they were wrong". Surely it cannot be the case that Star Alliance benefits do not apply to award bookings when you show the card? Anyway I wasn't necessarily expecting to get the free bag because of the change in policy, but surely the agent was wrong on the general principal e.g. even if I was Star Gold he would not have given me a free bag.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I booked an award with my Aeroplan account. When I went to manage my booking with my PNR it stated a $28 fee for baggage. However it did show a table stating that Star Alliance Silver gets 1 free bag. At the Airport I told the guy that I had Star Alliance Silver and he immediately said "you don't get Star Alliance benefits on Aeroplan award bookings". I was kinda taken aback by this as this was not the area I thought I would be pushed back on. I said that I had gotten free bags on Aeroplan awards before(allbeit when I was Gold) and he immediately and confidently said, "well they were wrong". Surely it cannot be the case that Star Alliance benefits do not apply to award bookings when you show the card? Anyway I wasn't necessarily expecting to get the free bag because of the change in policy, but surely the agent was wrong on the general principal e.g. even if I was Star Gold he would not have given me a free bag.
I thought *S baggage was "as per fare rules" ? How long ago did yiu book your ticket?

Agent either was uninformed, or expressed it wrong. Likely the former, but in the end I don't think you were eligible for a free bag anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
The problem with reward tickets is that your Aeroplan number is not on the file. However, the agent at checkin can input your number thus allowing the computer to checkin the free bags. This does not work or course if you are checking in online.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I thought *S baggage was "as per fare rules" ? How long ago did yiu book your ticket?

Agent either was uninformed, or expressed it wrong. Likely the former, but in the end I don't think you were eligible for a free bag anyway.
I was able to change my FFP number into my A3 number when I check in online for AP ticket. However, when I called in before, the agent kept saying "you CANNOT get miles with AP ticket and that's why you CANNOT change to another FFP"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.