Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Passengers not in J putting their luggage in J's overhead bins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers not in J putting their luggage in J's overhead bins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: TK *G
When I seat in wide body J seat where there is a bin above every seat, I usually close the bin right after I put my stuff in there. It does two things:

1. Help FA's a bit

2. Prevent the situation mentioned above.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:52 pm

Someone did this above my seat and tore the strap off my backpack by forcing his bag into mine. :-( So nice.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
On AA and UA the cabin crew make the announcement while boarding to only use the overhead bin by your seat...and when you think about it, it makes sense, everyone is entitled to have space overhead their respective seat.
The person who somehow thinks they own all the overhead bin space with umpteen bags is not tolerated on UA & AA...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
OTOH - The pricing structure on airlines is Bass-ackwards in my opinion. The passenger should be given a free bag to check and you pay for the overhead space. You see people boarding with a roll on bag, a bag pack atop it, a computer bag and a purse at times.

I don't mind it if I am in J, I feel a lot of empathy for the poor guy/girl who is last on because his boarding group is 9, the flight is full and they have a bag. What are they supposed to do?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state
I feel a lot of empathy for the poor guy/girl who is last on because his boarding group is 9, the flight is full and they have a bag. What are they supposed to do?
Just let the crew check it for free.

Mind you, OTOH that's not fair for people who paid for their checked luggage.

What about going the LH way and allow for only one cabin item in Y?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
What about going the LH way and allow for only one cabin item in Y?
This! I think this is a prudent and easy to implement solution.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm sometimes that guy in the first row of Y, with no floor storage for my briefcase, etc., and if I board after all of J/F is seated and there's ample space in the bins just ahead of me, I'll take it. Nobody has ever complained.
More than reasonable.

You also need to take into account which of the following two options is preferable as a J passenger:
- An economy passanger bag going into J bin
- Taking a 10 minute delay on the flight departing because the Y bins are full and there is one or two last minute bags that need to be gate checked.

Personally I would be happier with my flight departing and arriving on time.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
More than reasonable.

You also need to take into account which of the following two options is preferable as a J passenger:
- An economy passanger bag going into J bin
- Taking a 10 minute delay on the flight departing because the Y bins are full and there is one or two last minute bags that need to be gate checked.

I think we can all agree to that. Our bags don't need extra breathing space. The problem isn't when the last people in Y are using spare space in J that J pax have had the opportunity to use and haven't, it's the people who do it when there are J pax still to board/put bags up.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Plumber
I like this!

But my guess is that this is a one-off occurrence- ie that FA only....though I would like to see it more!
Not a one off. FA on my last DCA flight did it. She had closed the bins althouna few were empty. A Y pax who had not been to his seat started opening them. She politely but firmly told him "I need to save them for my business class pax". I complimented her. ^
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by kilarney
This happened yesterday on my ORD-YUL flight. But it happened only after all of the J class passengers had been seated. There was (surprisingly) still room in the overhead bin, so it didn't really bother me that someone put their bag in J class. They were clearly out of room in coach.

As long as everyone in J is seated, I really don't see the harm. At some point it's just J passengers being selfish.
I don't see the harm either providing all J pax are aboard and had first access to the bins. I've seen Delta follow this approach now and then, but not consistently.

Originally Posted by Stiff
Fly on any US-based carrier - pax simply find the first open space no matter what cabin and proceed to their seats in row 40...rarely seen FA's do anything about it.
Not sure how recently you've flown on US carriers Stiff, but that's changing fast. DL and AA are particularly attentive to ensuring J pax get first crack at the overheads at the front of the plane. As mentioned, I've seen DL stow Y bags in J bins if space remains, but not consistently. Have not seen the same on AA - ever.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Couldn't agree more. OTP trumps the "not in MY bin" attitude some seem to have.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
However, if Y pax then proceed into the J cabin hourly to access their bag, that is an issue.

If there is space, store it. But don't access it continually (to be honest this is annoying anywhere).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
However, if Y pax then proceed into the J cabin hourly to access their bag, that is an issue.

If there is space, store it. But don't access it continually (to be honest this is annoying anywhere).
But what if my bag I have stored up in J is where my 2 year old goes potty?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
But what if my bag I have stored up in J is where my 2 year old goes potty?
Either you go without or you pay extra for J access... And you owe everyone a drink.

Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: AC:50K
I took a BA flight a couple days ago, and as soon as the J passengers finished boarding, the cabin crew started saying "feel free to place your bags in the first available overhead bin space you see". It seemed like a good compromise between keeping J bin space for J pax and making sure departure wasn't delayed by people struggling to find space for their bags.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by kilarney
At some point it's just J passengers being selfish.
Yes, people with money appear to be so. Why do you think the elites and celebrities want more money all the time. Are you ever invited to box seats at the sporting events when these are not used?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.