Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dumping Air Canada for Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:49 pm

Delta is probably the best airline in NA in terms of operations and services.
However, a big drawback of Delta is Skymiles...the redemption rates on Skymiles are simply ridiculous and Delta keeps devaluing the redemption rates like there's no tomorrow.
In addition, Skyteam's award seat availability does not stand a chance against Star Alliance.
So if you don't care much about using miles effectively/economically then DL is a good choice, otherwise Air Canada/Aeroplan will give you better award travel options.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Member

I didn't so much choose DL as get pushed to them. But I found my experience as a Silver Medallion to be on par with Super Elite, flights departed and arrived on time, and DL F was typically much less than AC Tango.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l-traitor.html

And I found DL points to be very easy to use on the exact flights I wanted and almost fee and tax free.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I only have two data points. My short flight was fine, but my SFO-ATL flight, departing around noon, offered me the kind of meal I'd expect on a Rapidair flight.

I was really disappointed, and while the FA was absolutely outstanding with his service, he was surprised I expected a large, hot meal on a 4+ hour flight departing at lunch time.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I speak as someone else considering a swap, not a DL Medallion member -- but look at Skyteam versus Star Alliance. From my poking around, I think I prefer *A has stronger partners.

The fact that DL allows you to roll over unused Medallion (elite) miles is very nice. Hit 49,000 MQM in a year? You are still silver, but start the next year almost silver again at 24,000.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
On average, aren't delta flights more expensive than AC?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
No, on average DL flights are the same or less than AC. You can often find J seats on DL for about the same price as AC Flex.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by yosemite1
On average, aren't delta flights more expensive than AC?
hahahahahahahaha

NO!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Add me to the list of people in YYC that would switch in an instant if DL's service to YYC were a bit better. For all the many reasons listed in this thread.

Although I don't find DL cheaper than AC to most places in the eastern USA departing YYC. Even when compared to flight pass prices. Cheaper in J by light years but not in Y. Corporate discounts can be very significant on DL however (65%?) on some fares whereas that is never even remotely close to true on AC.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Respectfully disagree.

I find this to be a very pleasant thread. More importantly, there are two things in this thread that stand out:

1. People have professed love for an airline, Delta.

2. There is none of that UA-AC hate-fest that for so long filled this forum. It was tiresome and annoying.

Of the US3 on FT, DL has the least bombastic and aggressive posters, they have fun threads and that's a nice thing.

Either way, for every one person on AC FT who may have status on AC and another airline and alliance, there are a few people thinking about it.
My observation was one of what started out as unavailability in one post became hatred by a subsequent post. No issue that someone or anyone prefers one carrier over another. I have had the opportunity to do limited Delta flights and found Delta to be OK, the best of all the US based carriers I have flown to date.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by acysb87
My observation was one of what started out as unavailability in one post became hatred by a subsequent post. No issue that someone or anyone prefers one carrier over another. I have had the opportunity to do limited Delta flights and found Delta to be OK, the best of all the US based carriers I have flown to date.
I saw the OP's used of the word hatred. While I don't love or hate airlines, it was his post, his choice.

My post was related to the difference in the tone of posts in this thread versus many other threads where people post on AC FT asking about switching to another airline or how another airline is better.

IMHO, Adam Smith summed it up it best in his post.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 8, 2017 at 7:24 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
I saw the OP's used of the word hatred. While I don't love or hate airlines, it was his post, his choice.

My post was related to the difference in the tone of posts in this thread versus many other threads where people post on AC FT asking about switching to another airline or how another airline is better.

IMHO, Adam Smith summed it up it best in his post.
Ah, got it. ^
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
As a Canadian ex-pat in the US, and a UA elite living in a DL hub: I have a passing interest in this thread, but I'm confused in reading it.

First - It's not like DL has intra-Canada operations, right? So, when you're talking about dumping AC for DL, you're just talking about transborder? What would you do for intra-Canada, go to WestJet? Unless almost all your travel is transborder, wouldn't diluting your flying between multiple airlines be against your interests?

Second - If you're dissatisfied with AC, why wouldn't UA be the obvious alternative? I've found DL to be "meh" enough that I'm unmotivated to switch away from UA after re-basing from ORD to MSP. Seems like switching alliances away from *A would be very unattractive to a Canadian.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
For me United is the bottom of the barrel. *A seems to be falling apart as reciprocal treatment seems to be waning.

Since most of my travel is to the US or International, DL is not a bad choice. The 2x a year I fly domestic, I take Porter.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rowenb
As a Canadian ex-pat in the US, and a UA elite living in a DL hub: I have a passing interest in this thread, but I'm confused in reading it.

First - It's not like DL has intra-Canada operations, right? So, when you're talking about dumping AC for DL, you're just talking about transborder? What would you do for intra-Canada, go to WestJet? Unless almost all your travel is transborder, wouldn't diluting your flying between multiple airlines be against your interests?

Second - If you're dissatisfied with AC, why wouldn't UA be the obvious alternative? I've found DL to be "meh" enough that I'm unmotivated to switch away from UA after re-basing from ORD to MSP. Seems like switching alliances away from *A would be very unattractive to a Canadian.

Cheers.
For me: I have lifetime *G (E50k) on AC. 90% of my flying is transborder. And I have found DL to be better than UA. Not overwhelmingly so, but enough that they would be my clear first choice. But for Canadian travel I am set, status doesn't really matter unless it is SE. So I get SE by staying with AC. But they really do suck badly as of late, and they seem to be getting worse (extra grumpy due to another 12 hour delay yesterday/today). If I could switch to DL, I would. Scheduling out of YYC is suboptimal to do this for travel to eastern USA however.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
From my personal experience, Delta is much more generous than Air Canada in terms of handling and approving refunds and waiving change-fees and other fees for different kinds of situations, they don't just stick to what is written on the rules, even for a passenger without status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.