Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Surprsingly Positive Aeroplan Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador

Hi,

I am usually quick to vent when AC or Aeroplan frustrate me, so figured it was worth sharing a positive experience.

Last week I called in to make a change to my interary, MLE-SIN(Y)-DPS(J) when I went on to select my seats this week I noticed it was waitlisted. After an hour on the phone Aeroplan confirmed that there was an error and seats were not properly booked, and could not be booked now. They instead got me seats on CP MLE-HKG(J)-DPS(J). Overall I was impressed as these were not available for an award redemption online and get to do our entire trip in J now.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Hi,

IThey instead got me seats on CP MLE-HKG(J)-DPS(J).
CP? They have been dead by what 17 years?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Cathay Pacific perhaps? CX?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger

Let's make a bet OP meant CX
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

CX !!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad

Let's make a bet OP meant CX
I'll bet 0.01 LTC
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by montezume
I'll bet 0.01 LTC
No even just 1.0?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Okay. Stop with the joking, people. First a thread about AC IT working, now one about a positive Aeroplan experience. Look, I'm already dreading the fact I have to fly AC TPAC in a couple of months. I need to manage my expectations and I really don't want to end up enjoying it in spite of everything I've read here on FT.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Assuming it is really CX (and given the itinerary, I don't see how it can't be), isn't anyone questioning how Aeroplan was able/willing to book this ticket? Other than in an IRROPS situation, I would have thought that booking on a non *A carrier would be unlikely.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Assuming it is really CX (and given the itinerary, I don't see how it can't be), isn't anyone questioning how Aeroplan was able/willing to book this ticket? Other than in an IRROPS situation, I would have thought that booking on a non *A carrier would be unlikely.
I imagine it has something to do with this?

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by montezume
Yes, but it's only on certain routes, Male-Hong Kong and Hong Kong-Bali aren't on that list.

It's entirely possible...stay with me here...that AP went around their own rules (which they've done for me in the past as well) and BOUGHT a segment in J on CX because they're a "semi-partner" now and maybe didn't totally get hosed on it?

If I were the OP, I'd double check the booking classes etc you might be able to squeeze a bunch of Marco Polo/Oneworld miles out of that leg.

I had a similar situation where somehow my booking went sideways and the 1 seat I was getting from (IIRC) SCL-LIM had disappeared. Of course it was of no fault of my own, and not that particular agent either, the previous agent had botched it or something I forget. This new guy went and just bought me a J class segment on the flight and I earned the 125-150% miles on that segment.

Obviously they'll never do this just to be nice, like because you can't find J availability, but if there's a screw up, or the agent is just really awesome they can do stuff like this. The program can easily still be one of the best out there if they organize their "IT" issues and if the agents all perform the way we know SOME of them can. I'm not just referring to doing you a favor like this either. It's so nice to be able to have a legitimate conversation with the agent, explain what you want and have them execute it without giving you the third degree about trying to stretch it too far, or trying to force you onto the high YQ carriers...or just being generally cranky about having to take your specific routing, as if that's not the reason they have a job.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marlin240
Okay. Stop with the joking, people. First a thread about AC IT working, now one about a positive Aeroplan experience. Look, I'm already dreading the fact I have to fly AC TPAC in a couple of months. I need to manage my expectations and I really don't want to end up enjoying it in spite of everything I've read here on FT.
Sorry, that's partially my fault.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sorry, that's partially my fault.
I'd accept your apology if I could get down from the high saddle on my comfort llama that I'm planning to try and get AC to give me a free extra seat in J when I fly with them in a couple of months. Watch out: she's a nervous flyer so will need to bray often and make use of the facilities at least once every hour.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Hi,
Last week I called in to make a change to my interary, MLE-SIN(Y)-DPS(J) when I went on to select my seats this week I noticed it was waitlisted. After an hour on the phone Aeroplan confirmed that there was an error and seats were not properly booked, and could not be booked now...
While I understand that eventual outcome was acceptable I don't understand how the above event is a "positive experience."

To me a positive experience might have been "I successfully selected my seats."

I say "might" because in reality that would actually be a neutral experience.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Positive as one of SQ segments was in Y, now in CX which has actual lie flat from MLE-HKG, booking class is "D" shows that I can earn Asia Miles on their site. Anyone know of a oneworld program I can put these to then transfer out off as I only fly star alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.