Accumulation changes for ANA!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Accumulation changes for ANA!

https://www4.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...016_2016_10_17

As of November 1, 2016 please note the following accrual structure changes for ANA,

Effective for travel November 1, 2016, earn 150% of the miles you fly in booking class J. For travel until October 31, 2016, earn 125%.

Effective for travel November 1, 2016, earn 100% of the miles you fly in new booking class G.

Effective for travel November 1, 2016, earn 100% of the miles you fly in booking class P. For travel until October 31, 2016, earn 125%.

Effective for travel November 1, 2016, earn 50% of the miles you fly in booking classes V, W or S. For travel until October 31, 2016, earn 70%.

Effective for travel November 1, 2016, earn 30% of the miles you fly in booking classes L or K. For travel until October 31, 2016, earn 50%.

To learn more consult the ANA accumulation structure right now.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:22 am

I would not be happy if I bought AC marketed flex fare that's code-share on NH metal and it books me in NH L, K, V, W, S, T, U, H, Q fare codes.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
It always boggles my mind that airlines get away with changing accumulation after someone has bought their ticket (e.g. I bought a ticket last week with a connector on ANA for flights in November that look like they will get impacted by this).

These kind of changes should be done effective with tickets purchased after the date.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I would argue that you would be eligible for a full refund since they changed the terms post purchase.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I would argue that you would be eligible for a full refund since they changed the terms post purchase.
I would respectfully disagree. A full refund doesn't remedy the situation, since my alternative is to re-book (often at a higher price) and still get the reduced benefits.

I would suggest that I should get what I paid for, or if they wish to reduce the benefits, I should get a partial refund (or if I wrote in I'd probably get a 5% discount code, which would accomplish the same outcome).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
I would respectfully disagree. A full refund doesn't remedy the situation, since my alternative is to re-book (often at a higher price) and still get the reduced benefits.

I would suggest that I should get what I paid for, or if they wish to reduce the benefits, I should get a partial refund (or if I wrote in I'd probably get a 5% discount code, which would accomplish the same outcome).
While I agree, I also disagree. What happens when they have a schedule change on a once daily flight, and rebook you for the day before (or after)... you get told to accept it, or cancel.

I don't think airlines should be able to unilaterally change a ticket and expect the passengers to like it or accept a refund.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I agree, I also disagree. What happens when they have a schedule change on a once daily flight, and rebook you for the day before (or after)... you get told to accept it, or cancel.
In that case they are supposed to look for accommodating you on other carriers if traveling the next day does not work for you.

So it's not simply "accept this or take the refund."

(Of course they will try bullying you. But even the TSA has not gone as far as letting them get away with that.)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
In that case they are supposed to look for accommodating you on other carriers if traveling the next day does not work for you.

So it's not simply "accept this or take the refund."

(Of course they will try bullying you. But even the TSA has not gone as far as letting them get away with that.)
Supposed to and actually do are very different.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Upcoming flight of mine cancelled. Protected on a different flight a few days earlier. Not advised by AC. Found out by accident due to something on FT (mega thanks).

In redoing tx, agent informed me change could only be + or - 3 days without a fee. Have never heard that before. Has anyone else?

Of course, I could cancel this P fare tx for free and rebook whatever I wanted. Fares are now apx triple what I paid since original tx was bought during one of those seat sales a while back.

Last edited by Bartolo; Sep 4, 2017 at 9:55 am
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Upcoming flight of mine cancelled. Protected on a different flight a few days earlier. Not advised by AC. Found out by accident due to something on FT (mega thanks).

In redoing tx, agent informed me change could only be + or - 3 days without a fee. Have never heard that before. Has anyone else?

Of course, I could cancel this P fare tx for free and rebook whatever I wanted. Fares are now apx triple what I paid since original tx was bought cutting one of those seat sales a while back.
If it's important, I'd suggest you insist they re-book you on an alternate carrier on your desired travel date. I'm sure somebody is flying to your desired destination that day. Escalate to a Supervisor if necessary.

their cancellation policy does say "on a flight with another airline with which Air Canada has an agreement for such transportation, if circumstances permit." If another Star carrier is going that day, be proactive and asked to be booked on that flight.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...fl_cancel.html
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Supposed to and actually do are very different.
Only if you let them bully you.

But surely if you read them the tariffs and stick to your gun...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
If it's important, I'd suggest you insist they re-book you on an alternate carrier on your desired travel date. I'm sure somebody is flying to your desired destination that day. Escalate to a Supervisor if necessary.

their cancellation policy does say "on a flight with another airline with which Air Canada has an agreement for such transportation, if circumstances permit." If another Star carrier is going that day, be proactive and asked to be booked on that flight.
Thank you for the encouragement. I was offered a connecting itinerary for original travel date (at least the option to investigate) same day but that didn't work for me. I was polite but very firm and got the three day thing waived.

It's a more complicated story and my post didn't go into all the details. I had never heard this three day rule before and wondered if it was true. Also, wanted others to know about this so as not to get a nasty surprise. Best would be for no itinerary changes. But, such is life.

Appreciate your suggestions.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
At-least they told y'all in advance as opposed to announce after the fact this time.

Pretty sure they did a couple of hit and run with CA this year.

Its actually funny they get away with stuff like this, maybe they will throw a bone with discount but since AE is no longer part of AC............
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The wording "another airline with which Air Canada has an agreement for such transportation" means any airline with which AC interlines, not only Star Alliance. The text quoted is a watered-down translation of the tariffs into grade 5 language.

When the tariffs still included Aeroplan rewards the wording for rewards limited them to Star only. But alas, there no longer exist applicable to rewards, and the CTA has accepted the notion that rewards are outside their mandate.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo
It's possible that the agent made it up. Or someone above the agent. But at the end of the day, tariffs and CofC are the bottom line. If that "rule" is not in there they won't be able to argue that the rule exists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.