Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possibly flying AC for the first time ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possibly flying AC for the first time ...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Your clear customs anyway, not sure if it's immigration too. The D to E YYZ does not yet have machines as the queue is usually short (but I mentioned it as I have seen people who waiting there - including going thru myself).

Have you flown out of DEL before? There's a reason AC lists boarding 60 mins before take off.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Originally Posted by jc94
Your clear customs anyway, not sure if it's immigration too. The D to E YYZ does not yet have machines as the queue is usually short (but I mentioned it as I have seen people who waiting there - including going thru myself).

Have you flown out of DEL before? There's a reason AC lists boarding 60 mins before take off.
K thanks. I'm gonna try the SDC advised above... it'll involve getting to ATL a few hours early, but, I guess I'll get to check out the United Club at ATL if it doesn't work...

​​​​​​Flown put of both BOM and DEL, numerous times. Most India to Europe or NA departures are late at night. I just get to the airport a few hours early and park myself in the lounge. The exit passport checks can take forever, even with dedicated F/J lanes (which aren't enforced anyway) too, so I always plan for that too. BOM's T2 lounges are excellent. DEL isn't terrible.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Jul 28, 2017 at 4:13 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by gashwingomes
Well, I dun it ... went ahead and booked the ticket.

Will be back with a trip report sometime early Dec. -- thanks for all the good info.
If you are not flying until December, odds are good that there will be some minor schedule changes before then. Keep an eye on the schedule later this summer since notifying passengers of changes is not one of AC's strong points. If your connection gets shorter, you might be able to convince AC to confirm you on the earlier flight. If it gets longer, you may no longer want to take the earlier flight.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
If you are not flying until December, odds are good that there will be some minor schedule changes before then. Keep an eye on the schedule later this summer since notifying passengers of changes is not one of AC's strong points. If your connection gets shorter, you might be able to convince AC to confirm you on the earlier flight. If it gets longer, you may no longer want to take the earlier flight.
Late November actually. Thanks for the heads up. There's def a schedule change already (and a flight number change) - currently there's a 644p departure out of ATL. My itinerary says 550p, with an 8p arrival. The BOM flight leaves at 935p. The earlier flight out of ATL is 345p IIRC. I'll keep an eye out for further changes.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Well, whaddaya know. AC changed their schedules. It seems the BOM flight now departs at 835p, an hour earlier. They also changed my booking. I'm now on an 1105a out of ATL, getting to YYZ at 1318, with a long layover till the 835p departure.

The thing is, I have some commitments that morning. There's a 340p out of ATL, getting into YYZ 1753. That's a 2h42m layover window. Should be sufficient.

My initial query in this thread was whether the original scheduled layover was sufficient, and now I'm on an earlier flight without having done anything. Of course, it's a bit earlier than I'd originally wanted ... !

So
a) call AC and see if they can put me on the *later* flight (hey you didn't notify me of the change!), the 340p departure.
b) rearrange my commitments for the morning of departure.

Seriously -- they can't send an email? For a departure change from 550p to 1105a, and you can't figure out how to contact your passengers? Wow.

[Is it likely to snow in the latter half of Nov in Toronto? I think they might be better able to handle snow than ATL though ... haha ]
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
AC is pretty poor at notifyinf at schedule changes within any reasonable timeframe thus far out in my experience. That's a pretty significant change though, and they may change it again. I'd call them and ask, no harm aside from potentially a chunk of your time.

YYZ collapses when we get significant snow. But November doesn't normally get too much. That said I've seen -20 and +10 in November so no guarantees. I recommend friends who don't like the cold avoid Nov to March/April.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Tell them you want the 1540 departure, and they'll give it to you.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Tell them you want the 1540 departure, and they'll give it to you.
I didn't even have to ask. I mentioned that the schedule had changed -- she pulled up the reservation and said, "oh that's a very long layover" and offered to change it right away to the 1540 departure. It was painless, about 4 min total time on the phone. (She also laughed when I said I wanted seat 2A. 'You know what you want!')

Incidentally, the original YYZ-BOM flight was on a 787-9. The equipment changed to a 777-200LR. (My return, out of DEL, still shows as a 787. I hope it stays that way!)
jc94 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.