Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Bringing food on a domestic flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Bringing food on a domestic flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Bringing food on a domestic flight

My wife is flying YYZ - YVR tomorrow and is on a very restrictive diet. Looked at the AC website but couldn't find an answer to the question "Is it OK to bring your own food on a domestic flight?"

I'm aware that food on a trans-border is a no-no, but am wondering if either Security or AC have a problem with it on a domestic transcon.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:48 pm

People bring their own food all the time... Unless a doctor's note explicates medical necessity, the only formal restriction is on fluid (incl. gel-like foods) volume (soups, pudding, yogurt, etc).

And for etiquette reasons, nothing smelly or messy.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
I'm aware that food on a trans-border is a no-no, but am wondering if either Security or AC have a problem with it on a domestic transcon.
As long as you buy after security, or can pass security, which has the same rules for domestic/trans-border/international, you can take anything you want to eat on board.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by visitor
As long as you buy after security, or can pass security, which has the same rules for domestic/trans-border/international, you can take anything you want to eat on board.
Just be careful to consume it all on board as many countries have strict rules about the importation of food.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:19 pm

My wife is flying YYZ - YVR tomorrow and is on a very restrictive diet. Looked at the AC website but couldn't find an answer to the question "Is it OK to bring your own food on a domestic flight?"

No biggie at all.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
People bring food onboard all the time. Everything you can imagine. Transborder as well.

I know the OP is asking about domestic but TSA just issued an updated list of non acceptable food from security perspective. I believe it's on their website.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
People bring food onboard all the time. Everything you can imagine. Transborder as well.

I know the OP is asking about domestic but TSA just issued an updated list of non acceptable food from security perspective. I believe it's on their website.
For TB the issue isn't security, it's CBP. The hassle of having them inspect your meal because someone's in a mood can make it not worth while.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
People bring their own food all the time... Unless a doctor's note explicates medical necessity, the only formal restriction is on fluid (incl. gel-like foods) volume (soups, pudding, yogurt, etc).

And for etiquette reasons, nothing smelly or messy.
The only other restriction is alcohol consumer in flight must be purchased on board. For some that may or may not fall into the food category.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The only other restriction is alcohol consumer in flight must be purchased on board.
While this may seem pedantic, the rule is actually that any alcohol consumed onboard an aircraft must be served by the crew. So giving a bottle to the crew to serve you is fine. Pouring yourself a drink out of the duty-free bottle they sell you onboard is not.

If you want to have JW Blue everytime you fly, you just need to convince the FAs to pour your own bottle for you
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just be careful to consume it all on board as many countries have strict rules about the importation of food.
You don't have to consume it all, just don't take it off the plane.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by visitor
Not durian.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Not durian.
I have a love hate relationship with durian.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Irrelevant

Not an issue for domestic travel whatsoever. You can get food before security or after, your choice.

A couple of other Fters and I routinely make weekend food runs to Vancouver and bring back plastic containers full of food. Usually a dozen or so Japadogs, a couple of K-bowls and occasionally some Fukuoka style ramen from Dabo.

I think only once I was asked about the food, and it wasn't from a security pointo f view, but more of a why you bring so much food back?

So, bring whatever you want. Liquid drinks regardless of the container type on the other hand will not be permitted through security.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by jaysona
So, bring whatever you want. Liquid drinks regardless of the container type on the other hand will not be permitted through security.
I had to check a jar of jam once as it was considered a gel. The check in guy and I had a good laugh about how dangerous blackcurrants could be...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I had to check a jar of jam once as it was considered a gel. The check in guy and I had a good laugh about how dangerous blackcurrants could be...
I have witnessed a scientific and philosophical debate over whether honey is a liquid or not at YYZ and I was not impressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.