Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SQx/Aeroplan earning on tickets booked with RBC Avion points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQx/Aeroplan earning on tickets booked with RBC Avion points

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Airmiles book into revenue buckets and almost invariably do not earn Aeroplan miles. Maybe Avion is now flagged the same way.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:41 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
I've always called in and requested a file to be open. Then, I book direct on aircanada.com using my Avion and submit the bill for redemption.
How recently have you done this may i ask? i have been shut down twice asking for this. Also did you follow the schd (35,000 avion = 750$ max within north america) or just book for 100 avion = 1$ ?
Old May 31, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ABG
How recently have you done this may i ask? i have been shut down twice asking for this. Also did you follow the schd (35,000 avion = 750$ max within north america) or just book for 100 avion = 1$ ?
It's been about a year for me. But I just say I want to book something in Business class or with specific fare classes I can't find on the site. Maybe the policy has changed?

In both cases, I used the redemption schedule and not 100 avion -> $1.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
I did this about 3 weeks ago for a trip last weekend. No problems to report. Just told them the fare class I wanted wasn't available on their website and they opened a file.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ABG
I also did this about three months ago. However it was case where some computer system somewhere between Avion and Air Canada was down. You could go through the booking process but it failed at checkout. Called into Avion, the agent said, yes our systems are down but I can open a case for you and can book direct with AC. It was 35,000 and the agent told me max covered is $750. They gave a case number, said bill it to the card, then call back and they would issued the credit.

What was odd is you could not complete the transaction on the AC website, (same problem at checkout). Phoned in, agent looked it up. asked me how much did it cost on line, I told her, her numbers were a bit higher, see put me on hold while she figured out how to match it. She did. Only after did I realise I was talking all in, and she was taking about the price before taxes.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K; *G; VIPorter Priority; HHonors Gold; Fairmont President's Club Premier; Nexus
Just as a follow up to this: I was upset and discouraged after reading all the replies and thought there was no hope. Angry and stubborn, I requested a mileage credit anyway and got it. So, if this happens to you, request the credit.

Thanks to all for responses and advice.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: WJ Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DLovehall
Just as a follow up to this: I was upset and discouraged after reading all the replies and thought there was no hope. Angry and stubborn, I requested a mileage credit anyway and got it. So, if this happens to you, request the credit.

Thanks to all for responses and advice.
Appreciate that follow up! I've sent in a mileage credit as well (the automated form rejected my request, so now I've sent in picture of my boarding passes and waiting for the response on that....)

With that said, I also had sent in a request for the AQD for the missing flights (figured I'd give that a shot) and received the following feedback from the Altitude team:
In the past, RBC Rewards cardholders may have earned miles on Air Canada flights redeemed through the RBC Rewards program. Going forward, RBC Rewards cardholders will no longer accrue mileage on Air Canada flights for tickets redeemed through the RBC Rewards Air Travel Redemption scheduled on/after May 1, 2017.

However, as the flights on this ticket were booked prior to May 1st, they are indeed eligible for mileage accrual. We would like to invite you to contact Aeroplan directly with a retro-credit request via this page: http://bit.ly/1Vvnfga Your AQD will be adjusted automatically shortly after your AQM is credited to your account.

Confusing for sure if these still book into a Tango/Flex class but don't end up with mileage credit - I'm not sure what on the ticket would flag them to be non-accruing.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Maybe the ticket endorsement? Or the issuing agent iata #? Probably the same way AE market fares work.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Did any Avion cardholders received notification of this change on or before May 1st? Looking through relatively recent statements there has not been a notification of this change. The only thing mentioned with RBC Rewards (beside the AA transfer devaluation) is the new RBC Rewards website.

Since RBC hasn't communicated anything, I'm hesitant to use points to book on United as I previously have (and received AQM).
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC *Gold
Have not seen anything about this from Avion.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Just looked at some flights, and the fare rules RBC Rewards is finding are marked as "CORP" and

TICKET ENDORSEMENTS

THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED - RBC REWARDS AVION/AC - AND - NOMILEAGEACCRUALPERMITTED - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.
so I think they are indeed now non-mileage tickets. That's unfortunate...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
I can confirm this no longer counts, Im a little disappointed, but I got value from the points.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
I commented earlier in the thread that I was always able to book direct, and request a statement credit from RBC. I had a recent booking (flown outbound, inbound is in a few days) where when I called in, they wanted me to book using the tool. They even requested specific flight #'s to see if it was available there.

My work-around was to request a high flex fare, which is NOT available on the tool. The rep couldn't find it, and immediately gave me a reference # for a statement credit. So, still possible, but requires some work. I think the difference from lo-flex to high was about 30-40$ one way at time of booking.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by somedude3210
Did any Avion cardholders received notification of this change on or before May 1st? Looking through relatively recent statements there has not been a notification of this change. The only thing mentioned with RBC Rewards (beside the AA transfer devaluation) is the new RBC Rewards website.

Since RBC hasn't communicated anything, I'm hesitant to use points to book on United as I previously have (and received AQM).
Hard to tell these days with all the junk mail and junk mail filtering tools.

That said, I am also disappointed. Clearly I am not going to make E35k anymore. That said, these days I have been leaning more and more to WestJet, Alaska and Delta. With an AMEX Platinum I have access to better lounges than the AC ones.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
I commented earlier in the thread that I was always able to book direct, and request a statement credit from RBC. I had a recent booking (flown outbound, inbound is in a few days) where when I called in, they wanted me to book using the tool. They even requested specific flight #'s to see if it was available there.

My work-around was to request a high flex fare, which is NOT available on the tool. The rep couldn't find it, and immediately gave me a reference # for a statement credit. So, still possible, but requires some work. I think the difference from lo-flex to high was about 30-40$ one way at time of booking.
Saw your note from the other thread and you are correct with this workaround, however, the first level RBC Travel Rewards agents are trying to discourage even mentioning this option. It was only with the second level agents where a request for a specific fare class was mentioned and a file number was setup and the call transferred to a much more competent agent. She advised that AC was being forceful with removing any frequent flyer numbers and referred to memos received last month.

Where AC gets off with this action I have no idea. Tickets that were $7,500 CAD with a $1,300 CAD credit should be eligible, period. They are not like Air Miles at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.