Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lots of AQD, but low AQM/AQS. Mileage runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi FT AC friends!!

I currently have no status. However for 2017, I have over 9k AQD but only 22k AQM and 16 AQS. Obviously I want to get status -- any suggestions for mileage runs?

I also need to do these trips this year (out of my own student pocket, so economy Tango fares):
YYZ <-> HKG (summer)
HKG <-> Japan (summer)

I'm debating whether to fly AC or CX for my YYZ<->HKG trip. AC obviously gives me AQM, but CX seems like a better product for basically the same amount of money.

Are there any other easy ways to rack up more AQMs since I've already fullfilled the AQD requirements.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by phdtraveller; Jun 3, 2017 at 9:52 am
Old May 15, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by phdtraveller
Hi FT AC friends!!

I currently have no status. However for 2017, I have over 6k AQD but only 12k AQM and 10 AQS. Obviously I want to get status -- any suggestions for mileage runs?

I also need to do these trips this year (out of my own student pocket, so economy Tango fares):
YYZ <-> HKG (summer)
HKG <-> Japan (summer)

I'm debating whether to fly AC or CX for my YYZ<->HKG trip. AC obviously gives me AQM, but CX seems like a better product for basically the same amount of money.

Are there any other easy ways to rack up more AQMs since I've already fullfilled the AQD requirements.

Thanks!!!

1. Welcome to FT

2. Define the specific status you want to aim for.

3. You did not mention the cabin you plan on flying in to achieve status, i.e. more AQM

4. Google Flights is a fun place to start. Pick dates, throw it out there, see what shows up.

5. If you want AC Altitude Status, flying CX is not going to help you.

6. Everyone on FT or elsewhere has a different view of mileage runs and where they would fly to maximize miles or dollars

You can peek here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

or here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
Old May 15, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Hi FT AC friends!!

I currently have no status. However for 2017, I have over 6k AQD but only 12k AQM and 10 AQS. Obviously I want to get status -- any suggestions for mileage runs?

YYZ <-> HKG (summer)
HKG <-> Japan (summer)

Thanks!!!
What level of status do you want? And which benefits appeal to you.
Assuming you want at least 35K status then you are 23K short. Even a round trip to HKG will not get you that. For E50K (Star gold) you would need even more AQM. Unless you plan to fly a lot what is the benefit of status?
Also for you to get the full AQM you will need to travel flex or higher, not Tango.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by 24left
4. Google Flights is a fun place to start. Pick dates, throw it out there, see what shows up.
Last year, I had the same problem you have now: Too much AQD for the AQM and AQS. After several Google Flights searches and playing with different choices, I picked up 10 segments in one day, with the longest flight around 50 minutes. Cost $500, more or less.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
To get to 35,000 AQM, flying Tango at maximum 50% AQM, you'd need to fly 46,000 actual miles. That's YYZ-HKG, round trip, three times. Flying domestic, at 25% AQM, you'd need to fly 92,000 miles. That's roughly YYZ-YVR, round trip, 22 times.

Getting status on AQM is very difficult if you are only flying Tango, and it may end up costing you more in mileage runs that you get in benefits.

You could probably do it in segment runs for a lot less time and money. Under $2000 for sure. But even then, is it worth it?
Old May 15, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
How much are you planning to travel AC / *A in 2018?

If you are planning on mileage runs in 2017 I'm assuming early recognition wouldn't be a big advantage. Well you'd get priority boarding for some of the mileage runs potentially.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Getting status on AQM is very difficult if you are only flying Tango, and it may end up costing you more in mileage runs that you get in benefits.

You could probably do it in segment runs for a lot less time and money. Under $2000 for sure. But even then, is it worth it?
And if you're flying this little (e.g. less than 20 flights a year, which you seem to be indicating) it isn't even remotely. Get a credit card with some benefits, buy some lounge passes for long layovers and save yourself some time and money.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
OP welcome to FT.

You state "Obviously I want to get status" but in the words of every PhD exam committee, this overstates the evidence. It is not at all "obvious" why you would want status. Now, I've been there done that: PhD cabin fever. But post # 6 is on point: how much are you going to fly in 2018?

Status just enhances the quality of your travel experience. It doesn't make you a fancier more distinguished person. Unlike your PhD, status is perishable. You have to earn it over and over. It takes a lot to earn it. Not just overpaying ($6k AQD) but frequent flying too. Don't earn it for no reason; earn it when you need it.

If you fly 6 times a year, you don't care. You may think you care, but you don't. You care when you fly twice a month. You really care when you fly twice a week and more if you fly daily.

If you fly only a handful of times a year, pay as you go for the comforts you need: seat assignment, lounge access, checked bag fee, etc. You don't get priority check-in but the total hours in queues per year is trivial; when you fly twice a month, twice a week, or daily, cutting queue time does matter because it adds up. For those of us who may get to *G but unlikely to get to SE, and certainly not top tier on multiple programs, committing to status means giving up that better value proposition on CX, or going wholesale over to CX and their alliance. You'll need to make some trade offs. Status is far from an "obvious" objective. Even among those who fly a fair bit, a lot of people have opted for free agency, just booking the best flight/itinerary/value-for-money and paying for the amenities.

When the time comes, you may have people fly you somewhere to do a job talk or you may be able to charge airfare for a conference to your grant, and then you will angle for refundable economy for 100% AQM (or better) and accumulate status miles more easily. In the mean time, consider whether you do want to invest in one alliance and if so, which one. Don't let the sunk cost of $6,000 AQD pull you down a rabbit hole that isn't really in your best interests this year.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

edit, I've updated my status, now I have over 9k AQD but just 24k AQM

I still have my YYZ<->HKG trip coming up, planning to fly premium economy out of pocket -- then I will guarantee myself status next year.

The biggest benefit for *Gold status for me is the priority baggage, I hate wasting time at an airport waiting for baggage... probably order of days wasted every year.

The lounge access would be nice too for WiFi since not all airports have free WiFi. I've also never been in a lounge before as well.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
edit, I've updated my status, now I have over 9k AQD but just 24k AQM

I still have my YYZ<->HKG trip coming up, planning to fly premium economy out of pocket -- then I will guarantee myself status next year.

The biggest benefit for *Gold status for me is the priority baggage, I hate wasting time at an airport waiting for baggage... probably order of days wasted every year.

The lounge access would be nice too for WiFi since not all airports have free WiFi. I've also never been in a lounge before as well.
If all you care about is the priority baggage and the lounge you should really take a look at some credit cards that will offer exactly what you're looking for.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eithay
If all you care about is the priority baggage and the lounge you should really take a look at some credit cards that will offer exactly what you're looking for.
Can you name a credit card that entitles you to priority bags across *A?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
... who said anything about *A access; if the OP flies a particular route he only needs it to have access on that particular carrier....

Holding one of the more pricey TD cards gets you Priority 2 boarding and a free bag (I believe) and a few amexs will cover lounges...

If you dont fly enough to make status or when traveling on personal dime; imho status is no longer worth chasing. Holding a few cards (that get you nice bonuses anyways in churn mode) gets you what you need, without complicating your life with unnecessary routing, pricer routing, shittier planes, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't, but I assumed OP was looking to fly mostly on AC. If one needs priority bags across *A, status is the only way to go AFAIK
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Eithay
I can't, but I assumed OP was looking to fly mostly on AC. If one needs priority bags across *A, status is the only way to go AFAIK
The only way to get priority baggage on AC or the *A is to have E50K or *G status, buy latitude fares, premium economy or business class. There is no credit card that gives it on AC.

To be honest I find that the priority baggage really doesn't do that much. Maybe your bags come out quickly 50% of the time.

As for lounge access it seems like you will be flying outside of North America, so E35K won't get you lounge access when you are abroad. You'd need E50K to get access to international MLLs and *A lounges.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Priority bags are not even reliable. I had SE100K and I find that my bag comes out around the second quartile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.