Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada reports loss in first quarter as fuel costs rise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada reports loss in first quarter as fuel costs rise

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Okay, I think I'm about done.
"More please", said Oliver Twist - enlightening so carry on ^
Old May 5, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's actually a lot harder.

Right now, they're required to show the price that everyone must pay.

But between seat selection and preferred seat selection, 1 bag 2 bag 3 bag, etc. you end up with a matrix of prices for every fare. And I'm not sure that's any better than just not showing it.
Not totally true. You could show an all-in pricing and then offer discounts for things you choose not to pick.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Oh no. All I can see after these published numbers are:

1) Higher fares (YQ charges+Bags+seat selection etc)
2) More tightly crammed seats
3) Higher costs for AP redemptions
4) Further cuts to Altitude FF

I must admit I don't understand the numbers, just remembering when Oil was closed to and over $100 pb.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The smallest state
This is really frightening though..........Air Canada said its net loss was $37 million, or 14 Canadian cents per share, in the quarter, compared with a net income of $101 million, or 35 Canadian cents per share, a year earlier.

Net loss = EXPENSES +/- INCOME minus $37 million.

This is not sustainable year over year. AC needs to increase revenue, cut costs to close a $37 million dollar shortfall for the first 3 months of the year. If the rest of the year is like this they will lose $148 million dollars.
Yes, and I got paid several thousand dollars the other day. If I sustain that every day the rest of the year, I'll make millions.

Profits are volatile, especially in a cyclical industry like the airline business. To simply say this is unsustainable and multiply the amount by four for the rest of the year is ignorant and asinine. There's a lot more to the health of the business than one quarter's net income.

Originally Posted by jc94
Isn't that true of most taxes?

Just noticed, Oil is still way down, $46 a barrel.
Blaming this apparent issue on fuel is ridiculous. More likely to be overpaid top executives in my opinion, or too much management.
AC's net income line swung from a profit of $101MM in the comparable quarter to a loss of $37MM. That's a difference of $138MM.

Fuel costs were $244MM higher in that period. Even ignoring the $63MM due to higher volumes, that's still $181MM, or over 1.3x more than the difference in net income.

It's simplistic to blame everything on fuel prices, since there are other things that moved against AC and some that moved in its favour in that time, but the pay for top executives doesn't come anywhere close to the impact that fuel prices have. Calin made $9MM in 2016, Ben Smith $4MM, and progressively less down the line.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:07 pm

@Adam Smith what have I told you about bringing logic to a FT fight? Clearly Exec bonuses and salaries exceed fuel costs etc.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
@Adam Smith what have I told you about bringing logic to a FT fight? Clearly Exec bonuses and salaries exceed fuel costs etc.
I wonder when trying to be the voice of reason will drive me insane...
Old May 5, 2017, 10:11 pm

I wonder when trying to be the voice of reason will drive me insane...
Ask @YOWgary.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:38 pm

TL;DR
Too bad for you.
It was a good primer and very unusual for FlyerTalk
Old May 5, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Too bad for you.
It was a good primer and very unusual for FlyerTalk
lol @Adam Smith knows I read it. He also knows I was mocking him for saying TL;DR but still responding to the post in full.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:48 pm

lol @Adam Smith knows I read it. He also knows I was mocking him for saying TL;DR but still responding to the post in full.
I was wondering what was going on.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I don't beleive a word AC says, where did all the scam charges go?
Into general revenue where they belong.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Any idea why Air Canada doesn't report information in constant currency? (especially regarding impact of jet fuel etc.)
Old May 6, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not totally true. You could show an all-in pricing and then offer discounts for things you choose not to pick.
But tht would defeat the purpose.

Goal being to get lowest price search engines to put you first on the list. Competitors who unbundle always come out winning.

AC was among the last finding that had to play the same game. Blame goes straight to people who buy "the cheapest" without doing their homework or paying close attention to what they are actually buying, or not.

Then you can make a case, why should I subsidize low fare folks who travel with the kitchen sink? The fuel costs of people who weigh twice as much as I do...
Old May 6, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Any idea why Air Canada doesn't report information in constant currency? (especially regarding impact of jet fuel etc.)
What are you looking for, exactly? Read the MD&A, it talks about the impact of changes in currency on fuel costs.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
What are you looking for, exactly? Read the MD&A, it talks about the impact of changes in currency on fuel costs.
I was going to ask the same thing. What is your objective?

Personally, I prefer it when companies dont start to mess with numbers and "adjust for this" "adjust for that".

Better report the true numbers, and then let me do the math wizardry if I need to factor some stuff out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.