Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-YOW Rapidair - now all E90

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Agreed entirely. The extra frequency at peak times has really only added a couple of flights, and does not make up for the diminished capacity. Most brutal of all is the three hour gap between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. The "increased frequency" has reduced the number of evening flights. Many transborder/international flights arrive just a little too late to connect to the 8 p.m. flight, thus inducing a 3 hour delay. Most annoying!
That 3-hr gap contributes to capacity challenges with the last two flights of the day, especially when recovering from IROPS. The fact that YYZ is the centre of AC's universe also means that the first flight out of YOW in the morning is full or nearly so on occasion.
--
13F
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan

YQB is the other one. It is a city of a million people, but virtually no useful air service.
Huh? First, YQB population just hit 800,000 this year. Second, what's not to understand? A good chunk of that sub-million population still drives to YUL for a flight to save a buck. Third, define useful?

For a city of that size, it has plenty of useful flights, including to a heap of intra-provincial destinations, a decent transborder/international lineup, including JFK, EWR, PHL, ORD, IAD, FLL and CDG, and that's not even counting the plethora of sun destinations served in the Caribbean. Passenger traffic at YQB has doubled in the last 10 years and should reach 2 million in a few years. That's not bad at all, considering how close it is to YUL.

The same can't be said about YOW, who's traffic has barely increased by 20% in the same time frame, and has all but stagnated in these last 5 years.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jun 26, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:54 am

YOW PAX stats can be found here: https://yow.ca/en/about-yow/facts-and-figures

Year-over-year growth was only 2% last year, but you can also see a shift of Transborder and International numbers to domestic. I believe the change of FRA-YOW from year round to seasonal is partly to blame.
--
13F
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I believe the change of FRA-YOW from year round to seasonal is partly to blame.
--
13F
Chicken? Or egg?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Are there any A32S still flying around without Wi-Fi? If so, this is a way to guarantee access.

Incidentally, I just flew an AC E90...with Georgian Airways. Had the same AC seats and still had the Air Canada En Route system.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I hope for the sake of your argument that they are better than the army of people working in their IT department.

Originally Posted by Simon
They have just lost my business on this route. I will quite happily drive instead.
What for?

Originally Posted by Rundosrun
You will drive because instead of taking an A319 you have to take an E190??

For the same J seat and roomier Y seats with only 2-2 config? And a drive of 4hours vs a 45min flight?
Exactly.

3 hours 58 minutes

And yes. I have hated this aircraft ever since I set foot on a US Air E170.

Exacerbated when we flew YYZ-YHZ and got thrown all over the sky while on approach. Everybody in J ended up drinking the whole way back to YUL on the diversion.

They feel plasticky, creaky, shoddily-made, and ride HORRENDOUSLY in even the slightest bit of turbulence.

And certainly it is not the same J seat as any of the Airbice.

Plus, at the moment, there's rarely a :45 minute flight YYZ-YOW or v-v. Add 90 minutes due to the crap planning of the runway construction.
Seriously, I don't get it here. I've flown the E-Jet family countless times and would take them, every single time, over a 737 or A32S. It just isn't even a contest in comfort levels. While AC has a marginally wider seat on the Airbus , that is more than made up for by having single seats on the port side of the cabin. The Y experience is absolutely no comparison, as there are no middle seats and the seats are the widest available.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:37 pm

YOW PAX stats can be found here: https://yow.ca/en/about-yow/facts-and-figures

Year-over-year growth was only 2% last year, but you can also see a shift of Transborder and International numbers to domestic. I believe the change of FRA-YOW from year round to seasonal is partly to blame.
--
13F
YOW-FRA has been summer seasonal for quite a few years now, so that's not the reason for the weak US and intl numbers.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Chicken? Or egg?
Very good question. I don't know. Perhaps someone with access to the Amadeus tools could dig deeper into the YOW origin/destination data.
--
13F
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone
YOW-FRA has been summer seasonal for quite a few years now, so that's not the reason for the weak US and intl numbers.
About 3 years actually. Go back and look at the international numbers and tell me it doesn't have an impact; of course it does.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by N1120A
Seriously, I don't get it here. I've flown the E-Jet family countless times and would take them, every single time, over a 737 or A32S. It just isn't even a contest in comfort levels. While AC has a marginally wider seat on the Airbus , that is more than made up for by having single seats on the port side of the cabin. The Y experience is absolutely no comparison, as there are no middle seats and the seats are the widest available.
Different strokes for different folks.

Like I said:

"They feel plasticky, creaky, shoddily-made, and ride HORRENDOUSLY in even the slightest bit of turbulence."

I am probably hyper-sensitive to the ride now after our diverted YYZ-YHZ in 120km/h cross-winds where they tried to land and finally diverted to YUL, but I just cannot do it.

I am a MM on AC and large status on UA, BA, AA, DL...

But being on an Embraer, I literally feel like I'm going to die.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
But being on an Embraer, I literally feel like I'm going to die.
Way over the top on that. Driving to the airport is going to kill you before any Embraer.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I didn't feel at all unsafe in an E90. My discomfort is told in another thread.

E190 uncomfortable

YOW-YYZ sounds the perfect length of flight. Less time for us long torso-ed folk to develop a back ache. Send the A320 family to YHZ instead...
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:16 am

YYZ-YOW today 30-June

I've made it from LHR to YYZ. Tried to be put on standby when I checked in at LHR, but AC450 was "zeroed out" I was told. Upon landing, the concierge calls to say 450 is cancelled (mechanical) and 452 (my original flight) is delayed. It has also been up-gauged to a A330. All of those Canada Day revellers!
--
13F
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
I've made it from LHR to YYZ. Tried to be put on standby when I checked in at LHR, but AC450 was "zeroed out" I was told. Upon landing, the concierge calls to say 450 is cancelled (mechanical) and 452 (my original flight) is delayed. It has also been up-gauged to a A330. All of those Canada Day revellers!
--
13F
I landed in YVR 90 mins ago. AC340 to YOW is delayed 3 hours. Connect through Toronto instead to get home sooner? "Sorry Mr. RatherBeInYOW, every flight from YYZ to YOW is completely full. If you fly to YYZ you'd be taking your chances on standby."

I know today is a particularly bad day, being the Friday before a long weekend, but come on AC. Your reduced capacity can't even handle a long weekend in the summer. What are you going to do when it is snowing in January? What a train wreck.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
--
13F
Maybe someone threw loonies into the engine for good luck

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-5-hour-delay/
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I landed in YVR 90 mins ago. AC340 to YOW is delayed 3 hours. Connect through Toronto instead to get home sooner? "Sorry Mr. RatherBeInYOW, every flight from YYZ to YOW is completely full. If you fly to YYZ you'd be taking your chances on standby."

I know today is a particularly bad day, being the Friday before a long weekend, but come on AC. Your reduced capacity can't even handle a long weekend in the summer. What are you going to do when it is snowing in January? What a train wreck.
Have you tried via YUL?
--
13F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.