Search

YYZ-YOW Rapidair - now all E90

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
YYZ-YYJ has been E190 in the past.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
That would seem to be the case, as E90's seem to be scarce in YYC these days as well.
They started disappearing as AC started sending them off to Boeing. But they're around for the occasional run like YYC-EWR and a handful of YYC-YULs and so on. YYC-YYZ is another route that used to have an E90 or two most days that no longer does.

I believe on the YYC-YVR run they've reduced frequency to offset the larger planes and keep total capacity about the same.

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Ahh so another long one exists on the E90 out west

There's also the slightly longer YUL-YYC still happening as well.

Was there a YYZ-SEA? IIRC that one was THE longest but I'm not too sure if I am remembering correctly. Maybe it was YYZ-YYJ. Haven't flown either routes so I could be completely wrong on both
YYC-EWR is also quite long. According to gcmap, it's 2022 vs 2060 for YYZ-SEA. YYZ-YYJ is 2100, so if they still operate that, it would be the longest, although YYZ-SEA would seem to be the longest regular route.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have flown YYZ/PDX numerous times on E90 equipment
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!

Was there a YYZ-SEA? IIRC that one was THE longest but I'm not too sure if I am remembering correctly. Maybe it was YYZ-YYJ. Haven't flown either routes so I could be completely wrong on both
I have flown YYZ-SAN a couple of times on the E90. That is 2157 miles according to Great Circle Mapper, more than either YYZ-SEA or YYZ-YYJ.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by martyYOW
If you look at schedules, it appears they've added more frequent departures at evening rush hour - 30 minutes apart. With the mess in YYZ with runway construction those always seem to be running late these days - maybe they want to give themselves more flexibility.

Essentially appears to be more flights but smaller aircraft.
I posted about this in another thread a while back: Has policy changed for Rapidair East standby?. At the time, I thought AC were just using E90s across the board as placeholders while the summer schedule was being rolled out.

Even though AC are adding 2 additional YYZ-YOW Rapidairs per day, total capacity on the route is CUT BY MORE THAN 15%! That is utter insanity. It's not like on April 30th where there are still mostly A32x ops that demand suddenly disappears. May is always a STRONGER month than April is for domestic traffic at YOW yet capacity is getting cut.

If you check online, fares are through the roof. Tango sold-out almost everywhere. This will do wonders for YOW's already terrible pax numbers. It's hard to believe that with so much going on in Canada's Capital for Canada 150 that YOW's pax numbers for 2017 are likely going end the year negative.

For the month of May it's 17x E90 and 1x 763 on YYZ-YOW.

In June 1 320 gets added back. It's hard to believe that YOW will have zero A319 and A321 ops and only 4x A320 ops this summer. That's unheard of. AC continues to inexplicably shrink YOW...actually there is an explanation - NOT ENOUGH COMPETITION! Our beloved AC is so focussed on trashing yields at the big 4 hubs these days (there's a reason why AC now almost always releases financial results on a Friday) thanks to near-zero competition elsewhere. We desperately need a real new ULCC in Canada to shake things up.

The thing is, they've done the same with YYZ-YUL. Everything is on a 320 + 2x E75 & ZERO WIDEBODIES some days of the week (max. 2x/day) & flight frequencies cut to as low as 18x on some weekdays = 10% cut.

Last edited by YoYUL; Apr 26, 2017 at 8:09 am
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton

YOW-YYC and YOW-YEG are pretty much exclusively on the E90.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YoYUL
Even though AC are adding 2 additional YYZ-YOW Rapidairs per day, total capacity on the route is CUT BY MORE THAN 15%! That is utter insanity. It's not like on April 30th where there are still mostly A32x ops that demand suddenly disappears. May is always a STRONGER month than April is for domestic traffic at YOW yet capacity is getting cut.
And of course you have access to more data regarding loads and capacity than AC's route planning and scheduling team to support your claims. Air Canada has an army of people dedicated to optimizing utilization of assets in order to increase revenue. If they pull the A32x from this route, it is because they can be better used elsewhere. If they choose to operate E90s instead, it is because they feel that is the plane that will give them the highest revenue stream with the lowest cost. Simple, really.

I would be thrilled to fly on CRAs or E75s in YQB instead of the gaggle of DH4s we see over here - similar capacity, but obviously wrong planes for the mission in AC's opinion.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YoYUL
The two extra flights are in the evening when the flights are maxed out (going YYZ to YOW anyway). The reduced capacity during the middle of the day might be able to even things out. But you are right, loads look high now, will be interesting.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:16 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Air Canada has an army of people dedicated to optimizing utilization of assets
I hope for the sake of your argument that they are better than the army of people working in their IT department.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
The two extra flights are in the evening when the flights are maxed out (going YYZ to YOW anyway). The reduced capacity during the middle of the day might be able to even things out. But you are right, loads look high now, will be interesting.
I find that the morning and evening/ late night flights are the only ones that are full. I've been taking more mid day flights recently and the 319/320 are 60% full (if that).
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
They have just lost my business on this route. I will quite happily drive instead.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Simon
They have just lost my business on this route. I will quite happily drive instead.
You will drive because instead of taking an A319 you have to take an E190??

For the same J seat and roomier Y seats with only 2-2 config? And a drive of 4hours vs a 45min flight?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The other very plausible explanation is that AC is trying to drive away some connecting traffic to/from YYZ through some of the other direct flights out of YOW. As noticed earlier on AC.COM, there was a marked reduction in the # of YYZ connection options for flights between YOW and YVR for example.

Also, as others have pointed out, some of the midday flights are often far from full and some of these are already on E90s. Not uncommon to see at least 1 set of YYZ-YOW-YYZ flight cancelled sometime midday

Last edited by YOWCDNFF; Apr 26, 2017 at 4:30 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
The other very plausible explanation is that AC is trying to drive away some connecting traffic to/from YYZ through some of the other direct flights out of YOW. As noticed earlier on AC.COM, there was a marked reduction in the # of YYZ connection options for flights between YOW and YVR for example.
YYZ/YVR is likely reduced in capacity this summer with more 32x/767s than I recall from previous summers. Don't have the previous years' schedule to see if it's a capacity change or simply more frequency with smaller aircraft.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF

Also, as others have pointed out, some of the midday flights are often far from full and some of these are already on E90s. Not uncommon to see at least 1 set of YYZ-YOW-YYZ flight cancelled sometime midday
For your first point, maybe, although I have to wonder how many people are really funneling though YYZ when they don't have to. I guess sometimes when I go to YEG to go through YYZ when the timing is terrible (typically on the way there) but I typically never connect through YYZ when there is an option not to. There just frequently is no option for where and when I am going - YOW just does't have enough direct connections anywhere.

For the second point, yes, agreed. Based on my eyeball of doing YYZ to YOW on connections several times a month in 2016 and 2017 the midday loads are quite light. However the evening loads are always nuts and I'm trying to wedge my way on in standby in to a middle middle seat on a 320 when I am trying to get home an hour earlier, and sometimes I don't make it on because the plane is full even with misconnects. I guess we'll see soon enough if this helps or hurts the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.