Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Compensation and Promo Code discounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM

Received a couple promo code discounts which I'd like to share:

15% - for seat charge refund request for a $40 priority seat paid on J award originally confirmed in Y but later moved to J at the gate. (makes no sense that
a J award should even pay for a priority Y seat if no J seats available) An email apologizing for the delay and indicating the refund should be 3-4 weeks. Surely it would be cheaper for all to simply automated the refund when you are moved in the J cabin.

25% - for delayed / lost bags that actually turned up after 35 days - After all contents were replaced. I'm assuming much cheaper than honoring the Montreal convention compensation with lost bags.

Doesn't seem to be too much difference in discounts between the delay in providing a $40 refund and 25% for delaying / losing bags for over a month.

Wondering what other discounts are commonly offered for other minor and major issues.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
5/17/2012 I wrote in to compliment excellent service. They told me they normally give out 5% codes but bumped me to a 10% code for anywhere LOL!

I know I got a 5% for a broken IFE for INTL J sometime in 2013/2014 but I can't find the email. Might have been one of those blue/green cards(cant remember colour) they used to give out? I think that was AC?

No other discount codes for me.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The only "real money" I've received was a $150 gift card for a really bad weekend. I think I had 3-4 service issues, and I was requesting something like $15 for lying to me about the currency a SDC was going to be charged in (the funny thing is, if she'd said "dollars", I would have assumed US, but she explicitly said "Canadian dollars" a couple times), but they couldn't easily refund that amount.

I tend not to write in for compensation much. I'll report issues, but some of my submissions have started with "I am not looking for compensation, I just want you to fix this for the future."
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:57 pm

I got 30% for 2 non-functional pods on an A333 last August.

Still haven't used the coupon yet. Suppose I should get on it since it expires in October
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:57 pm

I tend not to write in for compensation much. I'll report issues, but some of my submissions have started with "I am not looking for compensation, I just want you to fix this for the future."
Which sounds like an excellent way to lead off for some compensation LOL!

I've actually had that issue too where they said CDN but charged in USD. This is with AC but also with Hertz(more than once). Didn't really matter back then when things were 1:1 but now it definitely makes a difference and I ALWAYS confirm currency amounts as chasing refunds are so annoying + you lose out on the conversion for most CDN CC's.

I didn't even know AC gave out cash compensation besides meal voucher+VDB/IDB! Good to know!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:38 pm

Got 10% promo codes 4 times for IFE issues on domestic flights so far this year. Also received 3000 miles for an IFE issue on YUL-YVR and 5000 miles for an IFR issue on YQR-YYZ, both also this year.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by iMedic
I got 30% for 2 non-functional pods on an A333 last August.

Still haven't used the coupon yet. Suppose I should get on it since it expires in October
I had the expiry of my code extended by 6 months just by sending them an email.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Received 15% today actually. It was for 3.5 hour delay due to flight being cancelled for mechanical on an Aeroplan J ticket. In the email the agent wrote they don't give out real compensation for <4 hour flight delays. Checking FlightAware, I see my delay was exactly 3 hours and 56 minutes :|
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Received 15% today actually. It was for 3.5 hour delay due to flight being cancelled for mechanical on an Aeroplan J ticket. In the email the agent wrote they don't give out real compensation for <4 hour flight delays. Checking FlightAware, I see my delay was exactly 3 hours and 56 minutes :
How is that not "real" compensation? That code could easily be worth hundreds of dollars.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:35 pm

Are the discount codes nowadays for 2 pax or 4 pax? Or do they have both floating around depending?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC.SE
25% discount code earlier this year for various issues surrounding a misconnect. Good for 2 people.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How is that not "real" compensation? That code could easily be worth hundreds of dollars.
Because the agent literally said I can give you a code but not compensation. i.e. according to her, it is not compensation.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Because the agent literally said I can give you a code but not compensation. i.e. according to her, it is not compensation.
That's defining "compensation" in an unrealistically narrow sense.

I got a 15% off code last year that saved me over $800, I think. Would have been even more if the fares hadn't dropped in the couple of days before I booked!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:03 am

I got a 15% off code last year that saved me over $800, I think. Would have been even more if the fares hadn't dropped in the couple of days before I booked!
I'm just using the definition the AC agent used.

Not that it matters, I'm a bottom feeder who needs to cheapen the J cabin and so I haven't paid for a revenue ticket in years. I'll probably give the code away on FT if I can't think of a way to use it.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

that's the first time I've heard someone complain about a fare drop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.