Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Stranger
For all practical purposes, paying for a seat assignment does. By virtue of moving you way down on the bumping priority list.
Another excellent reason for me to continue this. Along with the ability to fit, and get Zone 3.

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
When someone checks in, if the flight is oversold, they could answer a question about their flexibility if a VDB is necessary, and what they would expect in compensation. If necessary, AC could rank by compensation amounts.
I had this once. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Checking in at the airport on a Delta flight I think (possibly AA). Asked how much I'd want, I picked the middle option, which wasn't much, and never heard more. The options were all poor, $50/$150/$250 possibly.

Last week UA asked a friend if he would take money to go on a later flight, given he had a 1h connection already, on UA again, he declined.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Or far more. On that massive thread on the UA forum on small travel agent said he has had clients direct well into 6 figures of travel away from UA that they would have otherwise had since the dragging incident. I doubt there is a way for UA to account for business they never saw, but could have had.
This seems to be the raison d'etre in the business world these days. If you can't quantify something, it's value is 0. When you got *G at 35k miles for AE, I'd always on work rotations fly *somewhere* on star alliance. I could generally find a deal, and would deal exclusively with the alliance, while still looking for low cpm. With the "enhancements" we've seen over the years, I stopped bothering altogether around 2014. How do you account for things that didn't happen? Or is it just a plus in their book since they save on lounge access and eUpgrades?

Most award cards are moving to easily quantifiable % return compared to AE with a 10 leg Mini RTW which would book at $26k. What does that really cost them given that very few ppl would actually pay that? Even now you see a lot of these flying programs move to spend based deals. Copyright ppl say $X lost due to piracy, but really that's just a made up number since conversions between downloads and lost sales would never be 100%. It seems like there's always a motive, and you can massage the data and selectively ignore or trump up "soft" values to make whatever point.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think they are comparable for domestic economy and within North America.

Where they are different is less relevant. WestJet does not have a proper business class, however AC does not overbook business class any way.

Over time AC and WS are getting more and more like each other. That is especially true when you consider WS is now interlining with a lot of the Skyteam airlines and they are slowly moving to having a proper business class.

The WS rewards program is still on the crappy side, but Air Canada is working on catching up.
Ok, so Macintosh to Granny Smith?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by yyznomad
But is AC and WS comparable to each other? Do you consider the two as apples to apples?
As a non status economy passenger what's the difference? Very little that I can see, except WS generally treats you better. For many travellers I see them as comparable.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Which is why schedule is not part of the contract.
It's not an explicit part of the terms of carriage, but it's certainly implicit. The way things are now, I could show up to the airport for a flight that departs at 0700 but compliments of IDB, I might only depart at 0700+1 or something like that. While this is well within the terms of carriage, it cannot be viewed as reasonable unless compensation makes it so.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
It's not an explicit part of the terms of carriage, but it's certainly implicit. The way things are now, I could show up to the airport for a flight that departs at 0700 but compliments of IDB, I might only depart at 0700+1 or something like that. While this is well within the terms of carriage, it cannot be viewed as reasonable unless compensation makes it so.
The conditions of carriage make it very clear.

There are even cases when they end up busing you to your destination. All within contractual obligations.

BTW I have no issue with these conditions. While on stuff like throwing out the last segment, I have serious doubts on the validity of the rules from a legal standpoint. "Your sandwich is $5 if you eat it, but it's $20 if you end up throwing it in the garbage."
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The more I think about this, the more I support IDBing the cruise crowd. The cruise crowd being a real nuisance. :-)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I support rewriting the conditions of carriage.

What about changing the first group of involuntary denied people in the policy for "passengers who do not read the conditions of carriage?"

I think that would appease some.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jagboi
As a non status economy passenger what's the difference? Very little that I can see, except WS generally treats you better. For many travellers I see them as comparable.
I meant the companies, their operations, their business models, their products, etc.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
The more I think about this, the more I support IDBing the cruise crowd. The cruise crowd being a real nuisance. :-)
Lol
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I meant the companies, their operations, their business models, their products, etc.
Some key differences from a North American frequent flyer perspective:

- I like the Airbus (AC) better than the Boeing (WS). However AC is working on fixing that difference.

- WS lounge rewards for elites are a handful of certs. I have an AMEX Platinum that uses the same lounges domestically. The one problem that needs to be filled is Montreal.

- WS premium economy is more like euro-Business Class except with comp. BOB instead of a proper meal. It is not as nice as AC but a lot cheaper.

- Everything about WS is more casual, everything about AC is just a bit more formal. Feel like a more western Canada company.

- WS interlines and codeshares with Delta and American. They are picking up more skyteam partners. If they were to finally join skyteam or oneworld, I probably would shift completely over to them.

- No overbooking.

- WS 767 service to Europe needs work. Their frequent flyer program also needs work, but you can credit WS flights to Delta so it is ok.

- Along the way WS stopped trying to be a low cost airlines. The CEO at WestJet now use to be the CEO at Canadian Airlines and spent some time at as a VP at Alaska airlines. It is becoming more appealing year over year.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

- WS premium economy is more like euro-Business Class except with comp. BOB instead of a proper meal. It is not as nice as AC but a lot cheaper.
That's because it is not even close to AC J class. WS PY is basically AC PY without hot food. This is why I believe AC is/will be starting dom PY soon.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
That's because it is not even close to AC J class. WS PY is basically AC PY without hot food. This is why I believe AC is/will be starting dom PY soon.
Yes on the 737. On the 767 it is AC J type seats without the same quality of food.

Some of the rumours floating around is the next generation of 737 is getting ovens and proper business class seats.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Yes on the 737. On the 767 it is AC J type seats without the same quality of food.

Some of the rumours floating around is the next generation of 737 is getting ovens and proper business class seats.
But AC's 767 international flights are not J, they are PY. Those are big rumours in my books. Westjet is trying to cut costs, not increase them.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
But AC's 767 international flights are not J, they are PY.
Rouge are PY. Mainline 763s are pods and real J with real J food, no matter how poor it usually is. Admittedly the previous poster was thinking Rouge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.