Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Please note that due to recent updates to site-wide forum best practices eUpgrade credits may only be freely shared but not solicited in any form. Posts asking for credits will be deleted.

This thread isn't meant to serve as a substitute for the trading of airline instruments as those transactions are to be done within the Coupon Connection forum which does require a minimum number of posts & time on FT to be eligible to enter. This thread is meant to freely offer expiring eUpgrade credits to fellow forum members.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

Expiring e-upgrade credits!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
I have 10 unused credits left and I can't gift it to anyone. Frustrating. In reality there are tremendous number of credits left on the table each year by all members which benefit AC. It would be nice to be able to bank unused credits for another 12 months. Flight pattern - flying mostly on routes which doesn't offer J and maternity leave are all good reasons to extend the period.
I believe AC added an actual enhancement to privileges to adjust if not extend all privileges due to maternity or paternity leave.

I personally have 40 expiring. With no status anyway. If I was E50 it’d be less, and if I were SE I’d have given them away but would likely have been able to use them all.

I don’t see that AC has any reason to extend them. They certainly don’t often improve or extend benefits, but the parental leave thing could be helpful to some.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
That is their business model counting on most flyers to have credits left on the last day of February each year. You can see even on this forum, with so many knowledgeable flyers, it still happens. Imagine what the general community is like and how many credits go used? I can't help but to contrast this to a certain car rental company from which I have earned some free days. Those also expire. But I called them up and explained and asked for an extension. They said" Mr. Day, you are an important customer and we value your business with us, we would be happy to extend it for an additional xx months, does that work for you?" Wow.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
That is their business model counting on most flyers to have credits left on the last day of February each year. You can see even on this forum, with so many knowledgeable flyers, it still happens. Imagine what the general community is like and how many credits go used?
Actually, when I was a FOTSG E/E35K/E50K, I generally burned through my credits quite quickly and ended the year with zero. Even my first couple of years as SE, before I joined FT, I was left with few to no credits at the end of the year.

Being on FT has helped me find ways to fly J for cheaper (including racking up credit card miles then using IKK), use Latitude FPs, etc which lead to me consuming fewer eUps.

I can't help but to contrast this to a certain car rental company from which I have earned some free days. Those also expire. But I called them up and explained and asked for an extension. They said" Mr. Day, you are an important customer and we value your business with us, we would be happy to extend it for an additional xx months, does that work for you?" Wow.
Have you tried writing to AC nicely with a request to extend the credits and, perhaps, a rationale for doing so? Before you called them, that wonderful car rental company was going to let your free days expire. Some around here have had success in being able to borrow eUps to process upgrades just before they cross a threshold and other workarounds.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:59 pm

I found the details and will be contacting them about an extension. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
I have 10 eUpgrades that will expire on Feb 28, and I do have an open nominee slot - so I'd like to gift them. Send me a PM if you're travelling on or before Feb 28.

My preference would be to upgrade an infrequent traveler (perhaps an elderly parent or relative who's traveling?), and I will also be influenced by whether or not there is R space (it would be frustrating to "waste" the eUpgrades on a waitlist that won't clear - so an R positive upgrade that clears right away would be optimal) ...

But I'm willing to listen to any stories; send me a PM if you know of a good candidate.
Ding ding ... last chance. The eUpgrade site seems to be working again, and I have 10 eUpgrades that are going to self-destruct in just about 50 hours. If you're flying anywhere on a high flex or latitude fare, and would like an upgrade, drop me a PM.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: AC SE
Such a sad sight....

Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by jasdou
Such a sad sight....

Bummer...
This one looks better....
Diabeetus and jasdou like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:20 am

Such a sad sight....

Indeed. AC is happy though. Are the unused credits due to nature of your routes - not offering J cabin? You being a E75K, with 1/3 of your credits 19/58 unused , do you feel you are getting good value out of your status that you wouldn't otherwise get as a E50K? Would you consider stopping at E50K and move your business elsewhere next year? What incremental benefits do you get as E75 vs E50 other than more credits? I am even worse, 50% unused.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: AC SE
Indeed. AC is happy though. Are the unused credits due to nature of your routes - not offering J cabin? You being a E75K, with 1/3 of your credits 19/58 unused , do you feel you are getting good value out of your status that you wouldn't otherwise get as a E50K? Would you consider stopping at E50K and move your business elsewhere next year? What incremental benefits do you get as E75 vs E50 other than more credits? I am even worse, 50% unused.
Flying out of YQB, I am pretty much a captive customer. A lot of my flights nowadays are on Dash-8 and CRJ 100/200 aircrafts with no possibility to upgrade. I flew internationally last year which netted me my E75K status but my employer will not reimburse the copay. I now have shifted responsibilities and travel pretty much transborder exclusively, but unfortunately on a lot of single-cabin planes.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:09 pm

There is another thread about those customers like us whose regular routes don't offer J cabin. In that case the e Upgrades are not as useful. How about letting segments (not just miles) count towards lifetime status? Outside e upgrades, I can't see then how E75 offer something much more than E50.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Such a sad sight....

I expired 52. Do I win or lose?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
0 expired here. I think it's the first time I've ever managed to use all of them.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

I thought it was only 132 expiring but this shows 144. Oh well--easy come easy go, as long as I get my upgrades. Was nicer in the past to upgrade anyone on any fare just hanging around the gate with me.

Upgraded all my flights last year including transcons and flights to/from Frankfurt. Never bought a latitude fare or business class on AC either. Perhaps this year will be a bit more challenging? I have steadily had more eupgrades expiring in last few years but in past years, I banked a lot of eupgrades in last two months so they had extended expiries. Not so last year.

2018 expired 144
2017 expired 88
2016 expired 23
2015 expired 25
2014 expired 21
2013 expired 25

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Mar 4, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Feb 2019 expired 153 from 2018
Feb 2018 expired 144 from 2017
Feb 2017 expired 88 from 2016
Feb 2016 expired 23 from 2015
Feb 2015 expired 25 from 2014
Feb 2014 expired 21 from 2013
Feb 2013 expired 25 from 2012

many transcons and only one overseas flight (part in full PE, the other in cheap PE) this year, all ugpraded
but lots of Q400 and Dash 8 with no front cabin hence the leftover. Even upgraded two friends who were travelling with me (one who voluntarily paid the extra $150 for YOW-YYC; the other was on an eligible no copay Flex)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Same-day companions burned 10 of mine. @philelite managed to use a pathetic 38 of mine, so I had to do a 52 credit eUp burning run with him, and I still have 14 expiring. Though to be fair, he would have used my 52 for his own run if I hadn't found the idea so tempting and he hadn't found another nominator.

I managed to get AmericanBovine's account down to 1 though, thanks to 10yroldsuperelite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.