Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Please note that due to recent updates to site-wide forum best practices eUpgrade credits may only be freely shared but not solicited in any form. Posts asking for credits will be deleted.

This thread isn't meant to serve as a substitute for the trading of airline instruments as those transactions are to be done within the Coupon Connection forum which does require a minimum number of posts & time on FT to be eligible to enter. This thread is meant to freely offer expiring eUpgrade credits to fellow forum members.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

Expiring e-upgrade credits!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So are you saying you're using that nominee slot that you're in control of to use the remaining 12 eUps, or are you offering that nominee slot to others here?
I'm in control, and I'd be willing to offer it to someone whose name I would recognize, and is not a troll.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
This was a new one for me, does this sound right?

I upgraded my YYZ-FLL using my friend's (also SE) nominee spot with his last few expiring credits he couldn't use.

FLL-YYZ window came available to upgrade, and I tried to use my eUpgrades, but I get a note that "Another eUpgrade account owner has already completed one or more upgrade requests for this itinerary. If you wish to modify an existing upgrade request or make a new one, please contact the other account owner."

Seems odd that I cannot upgrade an itinerary from two different eUp accounts, so I called assuming it was a technical limitation on the site. Agent I talked to said nope, it was policy - even after the first segment is flown, I can't use my eUps if someone else upgraded me on the previous segment.

I asked if he could split the PNR or some other magic, and he said nope, I'm SOL.

Seems odd... is it correct though?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AskTravis

I upgraded my YYZ-FLL using my friend's (also SE) nominee spot with his last few expiring credits he couldn't use.

FLL-YYZ window came available to upgrade, and I tried to use my eUpgrades, but I get a note that "Another eUpgrade account owner has already completed one or more upgrade requests for this itinerary. If you wish to modify an existing upgrade request or make a new one, please contact the other account owner."

Seems odd that I cannot upgrade an itinerary from two different eUp accounts, so I called assuming it was a technical limitation on the site. Agent I talked to said nope, it was policy - even after the first segment is flown, I can't use my eUps if someone else upgraded me on the previous segment.

I asked if he could split the PNR or some other magic, and he said nope, I'm SOL.

You'll be able to do it after flying the outbound (maybe add a day or two for the segments to drop off).

You cannot do it before then.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You'll be able to do it after flying the outbound (maybe add a day or two for the segments to drop off).
This certainly used to be the case. I did it myself multiple times in the 2012-2015 time frame.

However, my most recent experience was February 2018, and despite the outbound segments dropping off the reservation in 1 day, an upgrade for the return flight 3 days later could not be requested from a second account according to online system and airport agent.

Appreciate other recent experiences that may suggest Cow's comment and my previous observations still apply.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow

You cannot do it before then.
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know WHY this is a rule... it seems like it's based on a technical limitation perhaps and not a policy they are trying to enforce?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AC SE

Yes, agent is correct. It's well documented on the eUpgrade website. Can't answer the question about why, but it's been this way for a number of years. From the website:

Currently, only one member may sponsor an upgrade per reservation. For instance, if a Super Elite 100K and Prestige 25K member are travelling together on the same booking, it is not possible for the Super Elite 100K member to sponsor an upgrade for the departing flight(s), and for the Prestige 25K member to sponsor an upgrade for the return flight(s).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gcashin
Yes, agent is correct. It's well documented on the eUpgrade website. Can't answer the question about why, but it's been this way for a number of years. From the website:
The word "currently" is probably a clue that it is a system limitation.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I have 10 eUpgrades that will expire on Feb 28, and I do have an open nominee slot - so I'd like to gift them. Send me a PM if you're travelling on or before Feb 28.

My preference would be to upgrade an infrequent traveler (perhaps an elderly parent or relative who's traveling?), and I will also be influenced by whether or not there is R space (it would be frustrating to "waste" the eUpgrades on a waitlist that won't clear - so an R positive upgrade that clears right away would be optimal) ...

But I'm willing to listen to any stories; send me a PM if you know of a good candidate.
eracerblue and Plumber like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC SE
Regarding expiring eUp credits... Does the flight have to be flown before Feb 28th to use 2017 credits? Or can I request an eUpgrade before the 28th for a flight on March 8th, for example, without digging in my 2018 credits?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by jasdou
Regarding expiring eUp credits... Does the flight have to be flown before Feb 28th to use 2017 credits? Or can I request an eUpgrade before the 28th for a flight on March 8th, for example, without digging in my 2018 credits?
Flights need to be taken by Feb 28, 2018....if you try for a flight in March, it will draw from the credits expiring in Feb 2019.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it seems like it's based on a technical limitation perhaps and not a policy they are trying to enforce?
AC "policies" stem from system limitations. At least, many of them.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
(Is the upgrade site not working?)
Delete

Last edited by Academic; Feb 24, 2018 at 1:03 pm Reason: Just saw the other thread concerning the upgrade site.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Anyone travelling and looking for an upgrade to J from Premium Economy or High Flex fares on AC 858 on Wednesday, February 28, please PM me.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I have 10 unused credits left and I can't gift it to anyone. Frustrating. In reality there are tremendous number of credits left on the table each year by all members which benefit AC. It would be nice to be able to bank unused credits for another 12 months. Flight pattern - flying mostly on routes which doesn't offer J and maternity leave are all good reasons to extend the period.

Isn't SE the only one allow to gift and transfer credits to another person?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
I have 10 unused credits left and I can't gift it to anyone. Frustrating. In reality there are tremendous number of credits left on the table each year by all members which benefit AC. It would be nice to be able to bank unused credits for another 12 months. Flight pattern - flying mostly on routes which doesn't offer J and maternity leave are all good reasons to extend the period.

Isn't SE the only one allow to gift and transfer credits to another person?
This would increase the cost of the eUp program to AC and likely result in reduction in number of eUps we get or further increases in eUps/copay required to use them. Breakage (i.e. expiry of unused credits) is definitely a part of AC's business model for eUps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.