FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Expiring e-upgrade credits! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1803985-expiring-e-upgrade-credits.html)

canadiancow Feb 4, 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29379613)
So are you saying you're using that nominee slot that you're in control of to use the remaining 12 eUps, or are you offering that nominee slot to others here?

I'm in control, and I'd be willing to offer it to someone whose name I would recognize, and is not a troll.

AskTravis Feb 4, 2018 9:21 pm

This was a new one for me, does this sound right?

I upgraded my YYZ-FLL using my friend's (also SE) nominee spot with his last few expiring credits he couldn't use.

FLL-YYZ window came available to upgrade, and I tried to use my eUpgrades, but I get a note that "Another eUpgrade account owner has already completed one or more upgrade requests for this itinerary. If you wish to modify an existing upgrade request or make a new one, please contact the other account owner."

Seems odd that I cannot upgrade an itinerary from two different eUp accounts, so I called assuming it was a technical limitation on the site. Agent I talked to said nope, it was policy - even after the first segment is flown, I can't use my eUps if someone else upgraded me on the previous segment.

I asked if he could split the PNR or some other magic, and he said nope, I'm SOL.

Seems odd... is it correct though?

canadiancow Feb 4, 2018 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by AskTravis (Post 29380152)

I upgraded my YYZ-FLL using my friend's (also SE) nominee spot with his last few expiring credits he couldn't use.

FLL-YYZ window came available to upgrade, and I tried to use my eUpgrades, but I get a note that "Another eUpgrade account owner has already completed one or more upgrade requests for this itinerary. If you wish to modify an existing upgrade request or make a new one, please contact the other account owner."

Seems odd that I cannot upgrade an itinerary from two different eUp accounts, so I called assuming it was a technical limitation on the site. Agent I talked to said nope, it was policy - even after the first segment is flown, I can't use my eUps if someone else upgraded me on the previous segment.

I asked if he could split the PNR or some other magic, and he said nope, I'm SOL.

You'll be able to do it after flying the outbound (maybe add a day or two for the segments to drop off).

You cannot do it before then.

gateguard0 Feb 4, 2018 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29380185)
You'll be able to do it after flying the outbound (maybe add a day or two for the segments to drop off).

This certainly used to be the case. I did it myself multiple times in the 2012-2015 time frame.

However, my most recent experience was February 2018, and despite the outbound segments dropping off the reservation in 1 day, an upgrade for the return flight 3 days later could not be requested from a second account according to online system and airport agent.

Appreciate other recent experiences that may suggest Cow's comment and my previous observations still apply.

AskTravis Feb 5, 2018 7:36 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29380185)

You cannot do it before then.

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know WHY this is a rule... it seems like it's based on a technical limitation perhaps and not a policy they are trying to enforce?

gcashin Feb 5, 2018 8:16 am

Originally Posted by AskTravis (Post 29380152)

Yes, agent is correct. It's well documented on the eUpgrade website. Can't answer the question about why, but it's been this way for a number of years. From the website:

Currently, only one member may sponsor an upgrade per reservation. For instance, if a Super Elite 100K and Prestige 25K member are travelling together on the same booking, it is not possible for the Super Elite 100K member to sponsor an upgrade for the departing flight(s), and for the Prestige 25K member to sponsor an upgrade for the return flight(s).

YEG_SE4Life Feb 5, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by gcashin (Post 29381486)
Yes, agent is correct. It's well documented on the eUpgrade website. Can't answer the question about why, but it's been this way for a number of years. From the website:

The word "currently" is probably a clue that it is a system limitation.

canopus27 Feb 23, 2018 11:58 am

I have 10 eUpgrades that will expire on Feb 28, and I do have an open nominee slot - so I'd like to gift them. Send me a PM if you're travelling on or before Feb 28.

My preference would be to upgrade an infrequent traveler (perhaps an elderly parent or relative who's traveling?), and I will also be influenced by whether or not there is R space (it would be frustrating to "waste" the eUpgrades on a waitlist that won't clear - so an R positive upgrade that clears right away would be optimal) ...

But I'm willing to listen to any stories; send me a PM if you know of a good candidate.

jasdou Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Regarding expiring eUp credits... Does the flight have to be flown before Feb 28th to use 2017 credits? Or can I request an eUpgrade before the 28th for a flight on March 8th, for example, without digging in my 2018 credits?

Plumber Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 29450828)
Regarding expiring eUp credits... Does the flight have to be flown before Feb 28th to use 2017 credits? Or can I request an eUpgrade before the 28th for a flight on March 8th, for example, without digging in my 2018 credits?

Flights need to be taken by Feb 28, 2018....if you try for a flight in March, it will draw from the credits expiring in Feb 2019.

Stranger Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by AskTravis (Post 29381346)

it seems like it's based on a technical limitation perhaps and not a policy they are trying to enforce?

AC "policies" stem from system limitations. At least, many of them.

Academic Feb 24, 2018 12:58 pm

(Is the upgrade site not working?)
Delete

qrctraveller Feb 25, 2018 10:23 am

Anyone travelling and looking for an upgrade to J from Premium Economy or High Flex fares on AC 858 on Wednesday, February 28, please PM me.

Sunny Day Feb 25, 2018 11:45 am

I have 10 unused credits left and I can't gift it to anyone. Frustrating. In reality there are tremendous number of credits left on the table each year by all members which benefit AC. It would be nice to be able to bank unused credits for another 12 months. Flight pattern - flying mostly on routes which doesn't offer J and maternity leave are all good reasons to extend the period.

Isn't SE the only one allow to gift and transfer credits to another person?

Adam Smith Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Sunny Day (Post 29457091)
I have 10 unused credits left and I can't gift it to anyone. Frustrating. In reality there are tremendous number of credits left on the table each year by all members which benefit AC. It would be nice to be able to bank unused credits for another 12 months. Flight pattern - flying mostly on routes which doesn't offer J and maternity leave are all good reasons to extend the period.

Isn't SE the only one allow to gift and transfer credits to another person?

This would increase the cost of the eUp program to AC and likely result in reduction in number of eUps we get or further increases in eUps/copay required to use them. Breakage (i.e. expiry of unused credits) is definitely a part of AC's business model for eUps.