FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada and CIBC launch multicurrency prepaid card for travellers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1793085-air-canada-cibc-launch-multicurrency-prepaid-card-travellers.html)

ffsim Oct 23, 2016 11:42 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 27383053)
If they made ATM withdrawals free, there would be real value to this, but as it stands, this card is useless to me :mad:

I thought they were free at CIBC ATMs

pewpew Oct 23, 2016 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 27383067)
I thought they were free at CIBC ATMs

I mean, if you can find a CIBC ATM in FRA..

ffsim Oct 23, 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 27383085)
I mean, if you can find a CIBC ATM in FRA..

Yeah, I should've realized who I was replying to lol

Diabeetus Oct 23, 2016 3:22 pm

When you buy foreign currency to load this card, do you pay a foreign transaction fee?

Or is there simply now foreign transaction fee, period?

ffsim Oct 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 27383832)
When you buy foreign currency to load this card, do you pay a foreign transaction fee?

As mentioned upthread, a foreign transaction fee (percentage) is built into the card-loading process.

djjaguar64 Oct 24, 2016 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88 (Post 27287198)
according this the only place in Canada to buy&load by CC is YYZ:confused:

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...visa-card.html

Can I buy/load a CIBC Smart™ Prepaid Travel Visa* Card with cash or with a debit/credit card?

CIBC clients can buy and load from an existing bank account or Personal Line of Credit. If you want to buy or load your prepaid card using cash, simply deposit the cash to your CIBC account and complete the purchase from that account. At CIBC Banking Centres in Toronto Pearson Airport, you can also buy and load your prepaid card from a debit or credit card.

CIBC replied on LinkedIn that the card can be loaded online through their website when travelling overseas restricted only to CIBC clients. Oh well, not worth it if you are a non client of CIBC but yet an Aeroplan member.

MasterGeek Oct 24, 2016 11:24 am

Any datapoints on which card issuers consider load purchases for this card as cash advances ?

I'll start:
  • Chase Marriott Visa: transaction declined. customer service says quasi-cash transactions are not allowed
  • Rogers Platinum Mastercard: purchase

Any feedback on RBC Avion Visa or MBNA Alaska Mastercard ? :D

yyz_atc_qq Oct 24, 2016 1:43 pm

I can't get any card to work for reloading other than the card I used initially when ordering the card.

Ace Cdn Oct 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 27387070)
Any datapoints on which card issuers consider load purchases for this card as cash advances ?

I'll start:
  • Chase Marriott Visa: transaction declined. customer service says quasi-cash transactions are not allowed

RBC Avion visa allows the purchase and is shows as a regular transaction not a cash advance.

sss1609070 Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq (Post 27387700)
I can't get any card to work for reloading other than the card I used initially when ordering the card.

Same here, but I have not received the card yet. I will try again once I receive and activate the card.

sss1609070 Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 27387070)

I'll start:

MBNA works just like a regular purchase.

newfbc Nov 10, 2016 5:29 pm

I got a $100 credit applied to my card today..
'Administratively crediting Customer accounts with $100 CAD'

No idea why.

Ron.

ffsim Nov 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc (Post 27464706)
I got a $100 credit applied to my card today..
'Administratively crediting Customer accounts with $100 CAD'

No idea why.

Ron.

Good for you! I guess I should've kept some CAD currency on my card lol

Error 601 Nov 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Any recent experience with postal shipping time on this? I need to come up with a GBP gift card.

philmen Dec 11, 2016 7:52 pm

Anyone have any experience loading these cards at YYZ using a CC?
I am specifically interested in the non-foreign currency one (CIBC Smart Prepaid Visa Card) or data points on how Amex treats the transaction.

Thanks