Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread was originally started regarding the re-configuration and re-designation of Air Canada's legacy CRAs to CR9s. That project was completed in early 2018.

AC currently has five CR9s that were previously owned by SkyWest and in service with Delta. These are (fin/registration):
  • 780 / C-FIJZ
  • 781 / C-FJZN
  • 782 / C-FOJZ
  • 783 / C-FRJA
  • 784 / C-GJAN

These aircraft are still configured with the Delta interiors, have no IFE, and may or may not have working WiFi. AC has not published any details regarding the re-configuration of these aircraft to match the existing CR9 fleet.
Print Wikipost

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Over the past few days, all of the CRAs have been re-registered as CR9s with Transport Canada.

EF seat maps more than a couple weeks out now consistently match AC's CR9 seatmap, although 27AC seems to be consistently blocked. Closer in, 27C is still missing.

I don't know if that means that they haven't finished re-configuring all of the planes yet or that it will just take some time to flush its way through the system.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Anyone know if the two exit rows are any good on the reconfigured or if the aisle seats directly behind them are the best for Y that isn't bulkhead like the old CRA705? I do remember the aisle seats right behind exit on the CRA were spacious.

I haven't flown on any CRA in a while in and it was almost always in J but I'm in Y tomorrow on the reconfigured and have options of exit row,(19/20) aisle right behind exit 21C/D. All the Y+ seats are gone except window bulkhead F which I won't take.

Not really worth burning e ups for a Medicore meal on a 1.5 hours flight...
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I noticed (a while ago, though I forgot to post) that SFO<->YVR is going to start getting a fair bit of CR9 service.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Anyone know if the two exit rows are any good on the reconfigured or if the aisle seats directly behind them are the best for Y that isn't bulkhead like the old CRA705? I do remember the aisle seats right behind exit on the CRA were spacious.

I haven't flown on any CRA in a while in and it was almost always in J but I'm in Y tomorrow on the reconfigured and have options of exit row,(19/20) aisle right behind exit 21C/D. All the Y+ seats are gone except window bulkhead F which I won't take.

Not really worth burning e ups for a Medicore meal on a 1.5 hours flight...
If I recall correctly the seats behind the exit row are only 31”. 12D & F are now the best seats in economy. 12A is no longer so great as your tray mounts to the wall taking away leg space (it has to be pulled out and attached) and you now have 12C beside you.

I’m off on this bird tomorrow as well.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I noticed (a while ago, though I forgot to post) that SFO<->YVR is going to start getting a fair bit of CR9 service.
Ouch. Hasn't that been 320 family or E90 in the past?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Ouch. Hasn't that been 320 family or E90 in the past?
I haven't seen an E90 in years, but yes. 319, 320, 321.

There are a few YYZ-SFO-YVR turns too, so I wonder how this will impact the YYZ/YUL schedule.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Crappy. The CR9 is fine as a replacement for a DH4 on relatively short routes. But on longer routes like that, blech.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by djkyyc

If I recall correctly the seats behind the exit row are only 31”. 12D & F are now the best seats in economy. 12A is no longer so great as your tray mounts to the wall taking away leg space (it has to be pulled out and attached) and you now have 12C beside you.

I’m off on this bird tomorrow as well.
Are exit rows any good? 19/20? I dont recline but do they actually have good leg room?

I have 3 other people flying out on this bird out at different times and they all have the exit row available, trying to figure this out. +_ +
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
If the reconfig is done, hopefully they'll be ready to cater for hot food in J. If they're adding YVR-SFO hot food should be a minimum expectation.
canadiancow, SearsTower and djkyyc like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Are exit rows any good? 19/20? I dont recline but do they actually have good leg room?

I have 3 other people flying out on this bird out at different times and they all have the exit row available, trying to figure this out. +_ +
Exit rows looked fine.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
If the reconfig is done, hopefully they'll be ready to cater for hot food in J. If they're adding YVR-SFO hot food should be a minimum expectation.
Why? YYC-IAH is a far longer route and has never had hot food.

I don't know whether the ovens are installed or ready, but I don't think adding some YVR-SFO flights to the CR9 roster has anything to do with that.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Why? YYC-IAH is a far longer route and has never had hot food.

I don't know whether the ovens are installed or ready, but I don't think adding some YVR-SFO flights to the CR9 roster has anything to do with that.
Hopefully they will replace YYC-IAH with CS300s when those come out.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:47 pm

I'll do a walkthrough of the re config'd CRA tomorrow and try to take some pics, look at curvature in the back, exit rows etc and report back... Might get scared and just upgrade anyways but I'll stay focused LOL
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Hopefully they will replace YYC-IAH with CS300s when those come out.
That would be a huge upgauge. If AC converts some orders to CS1s, that would be a lot more likely.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Hi Folks

Took three flights in J on 3 different CRA's in the last week. All three with very different interior configs.

First one was C-GJVZ, a CR9. Light grey colour scheme. The overhead bins were miniscule. The ones above the single seats in J were ridiculous. All they could hold was a J class pillow, I couldn't even fold a sweater and fit it in. There also didn't seem as much room between the seats. I was seated in 3A.

Second flight was on a CRA C-FTJZ. A much nicer aircraft. Dark grey seats. More room between the seats, bigger over head bins. Very nice indeed. Seated in 3D.

Third flight back to a CR9 C-GJZV. Light grey colour scheme. Small overheads and less room between the seats. Seated in 3D.

Love the refreshed CRA, not so much the CR9's.

Finally, had a Q400 on my last leg. YVR-YXE. That's an awful long way in a Dash 8. But spare a thought for the inbound YXE-YVR passengers. Due to strong headwinds they were in the air for 3 hours and 16 minutes. Is there a longer Q400 flight than that?

YXEG

PS No hot food on any of the flights. Avoid the beef plate at all costs. The chicken plate was decent. Shout out again to the new AC sommelier, all 4 wines on board were excellent. Spanish Albarino and a very tasty Muscadet Sur Lie for the whites. A very decent California blend (with 5 years bottle age) and a nice Chianti for the reds. Bravo to the gal from Soif.

Last edited by YXEGeordie; Feb 15, 2018 at 8:22 pm Reason: Corrected CR7 to CRA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.