Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread was originally started regarding the re-configuration and re-designation of Air Canada's legacy CRAs to CR9s. That project was completed in early 2018.

AC currently has five CR9s that were previously owned by SkyWest and in service with Delta. These are (fin/registration):
  • 780 / C-FIJZ
  • 781 / C-FJZN
  • 782 / C-FOJZ
  • 783 / C-FRJA
  • 784 / C-GJAN

These aircraft are still configured with the Delta interiors, have no IFE, and may or may not have working WiFi. AC has not published any details regarding the re-configuration of these aircraft to match the existing CR9 fleet.
Print Wikipost

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Not sure I follow you, YXEGeordie, as I think you may be imagining some of it.

The bins on the A side in J are identically pathetic on CRAs and CR9s.

The bins on the DF side are no smaller on the CR9 than they are on the CRA. They might even be a very tiny bit bigger.

The pitch is stated by AC to be the same and I don't notice a difference at 6'4".
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Oh I could well be. It might be an optical illusion due to the darker colour scheme, but I got the distinct impression that there was more room on the CRA. As for the bins on the DF side my bag seemed to go in much more easily on one than the other with exactly the same contents

If I am indeed imagining all of this in a fog of factual inaccuracy (and an hour or so in the lounge beforehand) I can say that I found the CRA to be a far nice experience than the CR9.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Why? YYC-IAH is a far longer route and has never had hot food.

I don't know whether the ovens are installed or ready, but I don't think adding some YVR-SFO flights to the CR9 roster has anything to do with that.
Was just thinking that SFO was more high profile than IAH and I'm used to getting crap planes out of IAH.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
Oh I could well be. It might be an optical illusion due to the darker colour scheme, but I got the distinct impression that there was more room on the CRA. As for the bins on the DF side my bag seemed to go in much more easily on one than the other with exactly the same contents

If I am indeed imagining all of this in a fog of factual inaccuracy (and an hour or so in the lounge beforehand) I can say that I found the CRA to be a far nice experience than the CR9.
The CRAs that have been reupholstered with the dark blue (that's how I see it anyway, rather than grey), definitely do appear nicer. Why they're recycling the old upholstery that they ripped out of CRAs in brand new CR9s is beyond me.

In my experience, the ease of getting things in to the DF side bins on both CRA and CR9 is highly dependent on exactly where you're trying to put your bag and what else is in the bin, so even if the contents of the bag are identical and packed identically, it could be much easier or harder to get the bag in.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I noticed (a while ago, though I forgot to post) that SFO<->YVR is going to start getting a fair bit of CR9 service.
It is only supposed to be one flight per day per direction, and only from May to October when YEG-SFO is operating.

Based on the schedule, expected aircraft rotations should be:

YVR-SFO-YEG AC8840-AC8744 0855-1125/1200-1545
YYC-SFO-YVR AC8579-AC8839 0710-0904/0945-1208
YEG-SFO-YYC AC8743-AC8590 1620-1820/1855-2234
YYC-SFO-YYC AC8559-AC8578 1840-2034/0730-1109

I think those turnaround times in SFO are too aggressive though.

Crappy. The CR9 is fine as a replacement for a DH4 on relatively short routes. But on longer routes like that, blech.
All of my YVR-SFOs have been under 2 hours in the air. Same with YVR-SJC (which is CR9 service). I think they are fine for that length of flight (although of course I prefer a bigger jet).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I got an op up, so unfortunately no reports on Y. LOL
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:36 pm

I took a quick peak. Row 12 in economy, even with the reconfig, is the best. Definitely more legroom than J. This one has the dark blue seats which is much nicer than the old white coloured leather ones.

Buddy beside me in J is 300 pounds and literally spilling into my seat , with his legs Crossed and leg/foot onto my side of the seat. Should have stayed exit row.. Has a super elite tag on his bag 🙄

Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Crappy. The CR9 is fine as a replacement for a DH4 on relatively short routes. But on longer routes like that, blech.
I flew a CRA SFO-YYC last year and thought it was fine, and have flown it YYZ<>YQR many times. No complaints. Mind, that was with the relatively luxurious 34" seat pitch that is disappearing in the CR9 (without extra payment).

The overhead bin space is a bit tight but the actual plane is just fine by my books.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Are the CRAs going to be retrofitted with the new, larger, overheads that are in the CR9s and most of the DH4s? I reckon not, but there's always a hope.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Apparently the ovens went live on March 1. I was on a flight on the 2nd and had a hot omelette for breakfast!
YOWCDNFF, j_the_p and canadiancow like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG

Buddy beside me in J is 300 pounds and literally spilling into my seat , with his legs Crossed and leg/foot onto my side of the seat. Should have stayed exit row.. Has a super elite tag on his bag 🙄
And having SE status is an excuse for spilling into the neighbor's seat?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
And having SE status is an excuse for spilling into the neighbor's seat?
I'm just saying he probably feels like he's entitled to do so as an SE
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
New in 2020, AQWeightedDollar!

In a drive to maximize passage comfort and minimize fuel costs, Air Canada announces their Altitude Qualifying Dollar requirement will be replaced with Altitude Qualifying Weighted Dollar. AQwD will be calculated by dividing the previous AQD by the mass (in KG) of the member and their baggage, per flight.

"For passengers with healthy BMI and who can pack like a sane person, there will be little change. Women on a day trip with just a handbag will make bank." an unnamed Air Canada talking head was quoted as saying.

As they were leaving the scrum, they could be heard mumbling "Fatty will really be screwed over"
Stranger and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by SearsTower
Apparently the ovens went live on March 1. I was on a flight on the 2nd and had a hot omelette for breakfast!
I was on FIN 705 last night and had a hot dinner; it was a nice surprise after expecting the cold chicken. The SD was thrilled to be able to serve hot meals on that plane.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by j_the_p
I was on FIN 705 last night and had a hot dinner; it was a nice surprise after expecting the cold chicken. The SD was thrilled to be able to serve hot meals on that plane.
Are the hot meals aligned to what you find on mainline, or totally different catering/menus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.