Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Celebrity Sightings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Are you certain she was alone? That poor woman has been subject to death threats because of the meeting she attended and the position she delivered. There must have been an RCMP agent with her or in proximity to her. If not, it's shameful to not provide her with more protection.
She was alone! She had a young man sit next to her with his mom way in the back. He switched seats with her so his mom sat next to her and he sat in the back.

I was three folks behind her when her assistance was at the door. i walked behind the two of them all the way to the customs hall. They turned right and I turned left to my Nexus machine. She was very comfortably dressed and he was a pretty suited young man. I was thinking to myself, to look that good, dressed up at 5:30 AM takes talent!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
There must have been an RCMP agent with her or in proximity to her. If not, it's shameful to not provide her with more protection.
As she is a federal cabinet minister, there would have been an RCMP protective detail with her at all times. That HerpaYVR did not recognize them as such verifies they did their job as designed.

Originally Posted by ridefar
I have delayed posting about seeing PM Harper for just such a reason.
Mr. Harper is a private citizen. If one is concerned about delaying breathless accounts of seeing him in the flesh, let's hope the same courtesy would be extended to every other private citizen we see.

I simply do not understand the need to state who we happened to see, and when it occurred, no matter how famous or powerful. It strikes me as creepy.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
She was alone! She had a young man sit next to her with his mom way in the back. He switched seats with her so his mom sat next to her and he sat in the back.

I was three folks behind her when her assistance was at the door. i walked behind the two of them all the way to the customs hall. They turned right and I turned left to my Nexus machine. She was very comfortably dressed and he was a pretty suited young man. I was thinking to myself, to look that good, dressed up at 5:30 AM takes talent!
I don't think dignitary protection doctrine requires the guard to be attached at the hip. A Minister on a foreign trip is going to have several staff with them, but that isn't to say that they need to sit with her, or even acknowledge her, on the safe - controlled - flight home.

And the airside of a Canadian airport is going to be pretty safe, from anything but hecklers.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I don't think dignitary protection doctrine requires the guard to be attached at the hip. A Minister on a foreign trip is going to have several staff with them, but that isn't to say that they need to sit with her, or even acknowledge her, on the safe - controlled - flight home.

And the airside of a Canadian airport is going to be pretty safe, from anything but hecklers.
i have seen her travelling as well and she was very obviously alone at the time.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I believe that Ministers have the right to waive protection if they choose. Only the Prime Minister is obligated to have protection attached to him at the hip.

Aside - I've seen the PM in public a few times and the protection detail has been discrete in their presence.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I believe that Ministers have the right to waive protection if they choose.
You're correct; the mandate is only compulsory for the PM (& family) and the Governor General. However, I have it on good authority that the current Minister of Foreign Affairs no longer travels internationally without protective detail. Or for the most part anywhere beyond the corner grocery store. Claims that she "was very obviously alone at the time" are admissions that "well, I didn't notice anybody near her at the time". Admittedly, the details, date and context of where she was observed in this case are absent.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
As she is a federal cabinet minister, there would have been an RCMP protective detail with her at all times. That HerpaYVR did not recognize them as such verifies they did their job as designed.

Mr. Harper is a private citizen. If one is concerned about delaying breathless accounts of seeing him in the flesh, let's hope the same courtesy would be extended to every other private citizen we see.

I simply do not understand the need to state who we happened to see, and when it occurred, no matter how famous or powerful. It strikes me as creepy.
I think I am pretty good in spotting security folks. The PY cabin was full and mostly kettles, the gentleman in 12D complained that he was not upgraded and the SD apologized as the gate agents made errors so she brought him beers and snacks free of charge to keep him happy.

When walking i was very aware of my surroundings and there was no one who resembled any kind of security. Most folks wore clothing unable to conceal any form of hardware. Dignitary security have their RCMP badge mounted on their belt in front and then the side arm holster with side arm with a dark blazer as outerwear. When she turned right to go through customs it was just her and her staffer standing alone. I was across on the Nexus side and i could see the two walk towards the customs booth and then I lost interest.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The simple solution to that is to just not read this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The simple solution to that is to just not read this thread.
People with growth mindsets often read things they don't understand and listen to those with contrary opinions, in order to gain a wider understanding. Those with fixed mindsets, well, never mind.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I know he's not an MP, and most of you didn't know who he was, but I certainly knew him from the moment I spotted him a few people back in zone 1. He sat across the aisle from @philelite

I showed my 14 & 11 year old nieces this photo and they were suitably impressed at your encounter.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
I showed my 14 & 11 year old nieces this photo and they were suitably impressed at your encounter.
“Suitably impressed” seems like a more reasonable reaction than my nearly 38-year old wife’s upon seeing cow’s encounter.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:13 pm

YYZ-YEG.

Sitting beside two cops with badges who are with a guy in leg and arm chains. Prisoner transfer. They are having just a normal discussion about weather and Instagram and stuff.

It’s pretty weird.

I wold think this would qualify for celebrity.

(They weren't in J. They did board before Zone 1.)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How exactly is "celebrity" defined these days?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:32 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Not celebrity, but certainly high profile.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Not celebrity, but certainly high profile.
So all the FTers here who were or are currently DHP are considered celebrities as well?
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.