Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is there any point to ordering special meals...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Is there any point to ordering special meals...?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by karachi
I used to order the AVML meal because you'd usually get some decent Indian food .. far better than the usual choices. Then i had some horrible meals and stopped that.
if you have a couple of G&T's after takeoff and some decent Sauvignon Blanc, the meals tastes ok.
Avml meals are still better than most according to quite a few FTers. Voml is hit and miss and nlml is always bone dry chicken. Then again no AC meal is totally terrible but your trick is definitely required. At least for N. American meals.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC 2MM, ALT 75 k
Varied experience

My son is lactose intolerant and has flown bus class 20 times in last 5 years.
Confirmed low lactose meals show up 50% of the time - quality varies dramatically. Like the penguin he finds the fruit and appetizers that are main stream in the meal the most appetizing & digestible.

When he flies economy and the lactose meal is loaded (intl only) it is served before mainstream and is usually horrid.( I know as I swapped my J class seat for his economy seat on a YYZ - TLV & return this past May)
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Absolutely, if you have a medical condition/religion that requires you to.
(admittedly, I have neither, at least at this point in my life.)
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
they should have a CWML .. chicken wings i'd order that.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by SYM
My brother in law read somewhere that because SPMLs are prepared individually they tend to taste better. He thought he would be clever and ordered the Kosher special meal on a longhaul (he is not Jewish). But he neglected to check the date - it was Passover. So his meal was a plate of matzoh bread and some grapes

I can't recall if he experienced a sudden conversion or just went hungry
I ordered kosher special meals on domestic Y flights a few times (back when meals were served on domestic) and they truly were tasty. Never ended up with the Passover meal though. The only difficulty was getting through the industrial strength plastic wrap without metal cutlery. I had to saw through it with my car keys.

Kosher meals are prepared separately in a Toronto synagogue while the other special meals are made by the regular caterer.

These days I order gluten intolerant meals but the bread product is usually a bone dry tasteless corn bread I never finish.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Fragola
I ordered kosher special meals on domestic Y flights a few times (back when meals were served on domestic) and they truly were tasty. Never ended up with the Passover meal though. The only difficulty was getting through the industrial strength plastic wrap without metal cutlery. I had to saw through it with my car keys.

Kosher meals are prepared separately in a Toronto synagogue while the other special meals are made by the regular caterer.

These days I order gluten intolerant meals but the bread product is usually a bone dry tasteless corn bread I never finish.
It's my understanding that Gate Gourmet @ YYZ has a Kosher kitchen onsite and are prepared within that facility. KSML's were indeed outsourced years ago to a caterer - believe it was Peter Graben.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Ugh.

Is there any point in ordering special meals? After the NLML I just had on AC161 yesterday? No.

I didn't think that Chicken was ever inedible. I've had pieces of granite which are more satiable than the garbage I had yesterday.

Another NLML on AC2136 today. Oh YAY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.