Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SE100K incentive to fly AC past 100k just isn't there

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

Honestly I believe this requires it's own thread, as there is big $ involved.

I, like others, made SE100k earlier this year. I now find myself looking to book my next half dozen int'l paid J trips (for the next 8 weeks) and I feel that any incentive to fly AC (from a FF program perspective) is gone.

The only 'benefits' to be received is the continual collection of AE miles and a paltry 20 e-upgrade credits for every 40k AQM, which frankly is a complete joke.

I almost feel incentivized to fly the other carriers that I'm periodically on to earn top tier in those programs (QR, EY, KL, KQ) as I feel like AC doesn't care about me. For my Asia flights I really see no reason to not fly CX now.

Honestly I guess I feel let down by AC that they don't do something more for those of us who can direct large sums of money towards whichever airlines we want. My next 2 months of travel is a relevant sum...between $35k and $48k by my estimate. Remainder of the year likely $100-200k.

Yes, I realize that AC is a business and they are out to make money...etc etc and yes I fully realize that the above is obvious....just saying I'm surprised that AC doesn't care.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Better yet let us know what you end up doing. We will see what you do!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
You don't find the threshold gifts to be encouraging?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
I'll assume you are asking seriously. Not even close.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:01 pm

If AC doesn't care then why should you? Seems like a great opportunity if you're getting top tier status in another alliance.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
I fully agree. I've slowed my AC travel way back this year, essentially only using them for South America and Domestic. I will ensure I scrape into SE at 100k, but should achieve OneWorld Emerald this year as well. That is a lot of money (almost all PE and J) going to the competition.

I agree with Dorian that the program after 100k needs serious help.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Dorian
Yes, I realize that AC is a business and they are out to make money...etc etc and yes I fully realize that the above is obvious....just saying I'm surprised that AC doesn't care.
Dorian
I was thinking the same thing at 3:00am this morning when I was looking at the Altitude chart and my post-100K flying.

I understand the logic behind weeding out the low-hanging fruit (as AC may see some of the SEs and other Es). I understand part of that strategy was to require more flying to earn less credits while needing more credits to upgrade.

But nowhere in the plan did I see any incentive for anyone to go much past 100K. Keeping in mind that those on FT represent only a fraction of AC's customer base, I did not see an opportunity for AC to monetize the changes.

Either that means there is no incentive to fly, pay and earn more than 100K, or the serious SEMMs & VIPs have a different channel.

I wonder if it should have been harder to achieve 100K, but then as you go past 100, 150 or 200K, there are better incentives to keep your spend with AC.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:08 pm

I don’t fly as much as you but 2~3 TPAC return each year in discount J plus some other trips. AC has shown no appreciation for my business at all. In fact, AC decides to award SE status to those flying 6~7 TPAC trips in Flex, when the total spend is less than me, and I ended up as an E50K. Why I cannot get the same treatment? There is no secondary plan - e.g., if you have spent $X in a calendar year on AC, submit your ticket no. and itinerary manually and we shall give you SE status.

Now, I just shop for the best fare on an itinerary acceptable to me. It’s actually interesting to try different airlines and different routes with a stopover here and there.

I now agree with many who told me that status is unimportant if one is flying J.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
The airline sees this: they offer a product and a schedule at a certain price. You consistently purchase the more expensive version of the product over several years and that pattern has continued into 2015.

Would it not to them appear as though they are already offering what you want?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
some might say the incentive to fly to 100k is not there anymore either

Seems that they could incentivize loyalty by linking eupgrades to flights on AC metal (before and after 100K), ie. more eupgrade credits (or only Eupgrade credits) for flights on AC metal . . .
(I shouldn't do this as I know they will just enhance the program by taking my advice but not giving out any more eupgrade credits). AC should incentivize over 100k by giving out double the eupgrade credits for miles earned on AC metal at various thresholds)
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zorn
The airline sees this: they offer a product and a schedule at a certain price. You consistently purchase the more expensive version of the product over several years and that pattern has continued into 2015.

They have changed their product IMO.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by zorn

Does the airline see this:

You used to do most or all of your flying with said airline.
But now that you have reached top tier status (again), you look at the offerings beyond flight avails and then see opportunities to spend your next $100,000 with other carriers. This guarantees you top tier status and benefits with more than one, and perhaps greater flexibility as well.
What does it do for the airline you used to fly all or most of the time?

Anyway, looking at it from the SE perspective may miss the full frame, if enough revenue and profit is coming from filling the back.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I was discussing this this morning with another FF, and we've decided that despite meaning SE for many years (and both MM), we are basically done with AC.

We will probably make 100K anyway (without trying) due to convenience of flights plus flight passes, but the combination of:

- almost no non-IKK availability (even on domestic routes like YYZ-YOW), and the limit now put in place on IKKing;
- less credits given out, more to upgrade;
- R/P games;
- high prices;
- removal of ability to talk to local concierges without jumping through hoops;
- bored, uninspired, blah, repetitive food and wine;
- far less wi-fi
- etc. etc.

…we are moving on. We've done a lot of flying with AA, BA, DL and KL this year, and expect to continue doing so.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by YEG2MM

You must realize that for many "threshold gifts" means:

Select Any One Of:
  1. Aeroplan Points
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
If AC doesn't care then why should you? Seems like a great opportunity if you're getting top tier status in another alliance.
My point of this thread was to question why AC doesn't care. Why wouldn't they want all this money for say something like 20 e-upgrades every 20k instead of 40k? Seems like giving up very little for a lot of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.