FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Fed up with Altitude (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1663879-fed-up-altitude.html)

M60_to_LGA Mar 18, 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 24526490)
More like how the stranded guy waves down other motorists for help, and once one stops, begins to rant about how it's unfair that the car stopped since he didn't have enough time to look at the fuel gauge and should now be compensated by the car manufacturer, and then gets upset when said motorists laugh at the situation.

:p:D:p

tcook052 Mar 18, 2015 11:43 am

More like how the stranded guy waves down other motorists for help, and once one stops, begins to rant about how it's unfair that the car stopped since he didn't have enough time to look at the fuel gauge and should now be compensated by the car manufacturer, and then gets upset when said motorists laugh at the situation.

Completely agree. There may be some here who may spend inordinate amounts of time and effort examining each word of the conditions of membership but there are obviously others who spend no time doing so yet blame someone else for the consequences of that inattention.

Fizzer Mar 18, 2015 11:49 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 24526217)
Uh, no. My problem is the other motorists who slow down, taunt and gleefully tell the stranded guy he should've known better.

^^

Some folks here seem to have learned AC's service mantra, the oft quoted 'We're not happy till you're not happy". Welcoming as always:rolleyes:

While I agree with the sentiment that the information was there for those who looked I also agree that many if not most are too busy to pay that sort of attention to the program. I'm also speculating that while the OP may have flown more mile on *A partners than AC, he may have still bought his tickets through AC, so reasonably believed that he was being loyal to them. Certainly AC and their promotion of their relationship with *A could lead to that impression IMHO.

canadiancow Mar 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by why fly (Post 24525243)
perhaps you forgot Star Alliance, AC joined hoping that other airlines customers would fly with AC. So they would WIN more business than they would lose.

Also the OP did what AC was promoting flying the airlines in Star Alliance!

AC learned its value in the "Star Alliance", was minimal, and AC was the unfortunate wall flower, than nobody wanted to dance with.

Perhaps AC should be more forthcoming in its advertizing telling the customers Star Alliance is not important to AC, and benefits are going to be useless shortly :)

There's a difference between "Fly us as your home airline, and fly our partners when you can't" and "Fly our partners and we'll foot the bill for lounge access".

The former is what AC (rightfully) wants and expects.

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy (Post 24526210)
The two worst offenders, that you didn't mention, but I'm sure especially caught the AC lurkers attention, was the "I got SE for $5,443" crowd or the most common one: "I'm 100% upgrade this year so far" or "I always buy cheap fares and haven't travelled in the back for years" and so on and so on....... THEY were the ones that got us where we are today. They couldn't keep their big effing mouths shut!

Unfortunately every single FF, whether valuable to AC or not, has been treated like cheap crap because of AC's overreaction.

100% upgrade generally means "of flights I tried to upgrade". There's no way someone only buying V fares would be able to upgrade every flight, but it's completely possible they'd be able to upgrade every flight they tried to.

I'm 100% this year so far, and I hope it remains that way. I also have no plans to buy any more Y fares this year, unless there's an EYW :p

Originally Posted by sam33 (Post 24526904)
How does this work with AC and Aeroplan being officially separate companies?

:confused: Nothing discussed in this thread is related to Aeroplan at all.

jaysona Mar 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 24526217)
Uh, no. My problem is the other motorists who slow down, taunt and gleefully tell the stranded guy he should've known better.

No one is slowing down here, by nature of creating the thread, the FT collective was flagged down and asked to stop to help.

SF - very well said! ^ :D

YEG USER Mar 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer (Post 24527286)

I also agree that many if not most are too busy to pay that sort of attention to the program. I'm also speculating that while the OP may have flown more mile on *A partners than AC, he may have still bought his tickets through AC, so reasonably believed that he was being loyal to them. Certainly AC and their promotion of their relationship with *A could lead to that impression IMHO.

How much sympathy can people be expected to give? The minimum AC metal requirements have now been in place for over 4 years. IIRC there was much sympathy for people in the first 2 years since the change, but should that be expected now? I fully expect that now that the minimum metal requirements have gone up dramatically we'll hear a lot of sob stories in 2016 - however this is one of the few areas where AC actually communicated the impending changes in advance of the upcoming status year so that people could credit their flights elsewhere for the year if they don't like the new requirements.

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 24525437)
If you have kept your older statements from AC (you should be able to print off your 2014 results from the Altitude website), I would suggest that you apply for a status match/challenge with the airline that you actually intend to keep flying with.

There is a decent change that they will give you equivalent status and that way you are not starting from zero with another airline.

This was my exact thought when I read the OP. I'm sure that there was one airline that received the lion's share of the flights (let's call that airline "ZZ"). OP should contact that airline and tell the story, without any fluff. "I flew XXX miles with your airline last year of an overall YYY miles that were flown on Star Alliance airlines. I credited all of my miles to Air Canada's program not realizing there was a minimum AC mileage requirement for status. Had I credited all my *A miles to the ZZ airline program I would have achieved status..." and ask for a status match, challenge, etc. If you can use the Altitude website data to demonstrate that you've flown with airline ZZ going back several years too, there might be a shot of getting at least *S out of the deal, maybe even *G.

OP, if you do use this approach, be careful about which program you select. They all have their pluses and minuses. Determine which benefits are most important to you, how likely you are to receive them from your new program, and what are the requirements for re-qualification.

AftOf245 Mar 18, 2015 12:48 pm

Its "Roll up the Rim" season, that means I buy all my coffee at Tim Hortons, I finally won a free coffee the other day and took it into Starbucks(I prefer Starbucks) to redeem, they told me to get lost??? They must be taking cues from Air Canada, the nerve :confused:

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Strange how it seems to be ok to walk all over a fellow poster but not ok to put AC reps in their place...

canadiancow Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 24528574)
Strange how it seems to be ok to walk all over a fellow poster but not ok to put AC reps in their place...

There's a difference between "You didn't meet the well-published requirements, and are not actually a loyal AC customer." and "You're a useless idiot, why do you bother coming here? Just leave."

One is appropriate. The other is not.

karachi Mar 18, 2015 6:51 pm

not piling on. setting the record straight. I'm not going to give false hope to people or tell them "yeah its not your fault you didnt know the rules" or never bothered to check your balance.
you dont blame the bank for going into overdraft.

worldtraveller73 Mar 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Well, I'm sympathetic to the poster. Who has the time to follow all the rules? It's way to complicated for the amount of money spent.

AAdvantage is a good bet for international travel, and most fares credit %100.

Best of luck!

YEG_SE4Life Mar 19, 2015 12:38 am

I am reading that the debate here is about whether someone has time to read the rules or not. I agree, it can be rather time consuming. Here is the part that I don't understand; If I don't really understand the rules, my assumption would be that if I want to be rewarded for loyalty, an airline would probably want to reward me for flying with them. Why would someone's expectation be that any company would want to reward my loyalty to their competition? How could anyone expect that to be the default?

24left Mar 19, 2015 12:58 am

OP?

A couple of days have passed since sbjohnson55 shared his/her vent in their first post. Given the animated debate that followed, I wonder what they must be thinking.

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 19, 2015 2:20 am

Originally Posted by YEG2MM (Post 24530685)
I am reading that the debate here is about whether someone has time to read the rules or not. I agree, it can be rather time consuming. Here is the part that I don't understand; If I don't really understand the rules, my assumption would be that if I want to be rewarded for loyalty, an airline would probably want to reward me for flying with them. Why would someone's expectation be that any company would want to reward my loyalty to their competition? How could anyone expect that to be the default?

It's called Star Alliance

Wpgjetse Mar 19, 2015 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 24530900)
It's called Star Alliance

Yes, we all get benefits from Star Alliance, but that does not mean you don't have to be loyal to AC. It is AC FF program and not Star's FF program.