Wiki Posts
Search

Fed up with Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Angry Fed up with Altitude

Today was the day I finally reached my last straw with Air Canada and their new Altitude program.

I have been a loyal member with them for the last 10 years ever since I took a job that required more travel, but today I was shocked to find out that I have zero status with their airline.

Every year I fly between 35K-80K, although last year was a little light as my sister was in the final stages of her fight with cancer so I cancelled a few trips to stay home. Regardless, I still amassed 38K of Altitude-eligible miles.

Thinking I was at least going to get my Elite 35K status, I was shocked to find out that I had zero status with them today, which incidentally I found out when I checked in and they charged me for my checked luggage.

You see, unbeknownst to me, I only flew 6K miles on actual AC flights, all the rest were partner flights (Lufthansa and United). Apparently there is a 10K minimum that is required to achieve status. I am not sure if this is a new rule, or if for the past 10 years I had managed to exceed this amount without ever considering it. When booking a trip I just ask our corporate travel agent to book the lowest Star Alliance fare for the trip. I guess I have just been lucky.

Anyway, I was disappointed to hear there was nothing they would do to help correct the situation. Now I have vowed to never fly AC again (after my current trip).

I am looking to change to a new rewards program, does anyone have any suggestions. I am even willing to look at OneWorld now.

Sorry for the vent.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sbjohnson55
Today was the day I finally reached my last straw with Air Canada and their new Altitude program.

I have been a loyal member with them for the last 10 years ever since I took a job that required more travel, but today I was shocked to find out that I have zero status with their airline.

Every year I fly between 35K-80K, although last year was a little light as my sister was in the final stages of her fight with cancer so I cancelled a few trips to stay home. Regardless, I still amassed 38K of Altitude-eligible miles.

Thinking I was at least going to get my Elite 35K status, I was shocked to find out that I had zero status with them today, which incidentally I found out when I checked in and they charged me for my checked luggage.

You see, unbeknownst to me, I only flew 6K miles on actual AC flights, all the rest were partner flights (Lufthansa and United). Apparently there is a 10K minimum that is required to achieve status. I am not sure if this is a new rule, or if for the past 10 years I had managed to exceed this amount without ever considering it. When booking a trip I just ask our corporate travel agent to book the lowest Star Alliance fare for the trip. I guess I have just been lucky.

Anyway, I was disappointed to hear there was nothing they would do to help correct the situation. Now I have vowed to never fly AC again (after my current trip).

I am looking to change to a new rewards program, does anyone have any suggestions. I am even willing to look at OneWorld now.

Sorry for the vent.
I'm assuming what you posted was accurate as I only fly on AC metal, but given that.

I'm not usually one to say this, but the rules to hit status are well published. If you don't hit the rules, too bad. Sorry...

As for your comment, if you fly domestically, you're stuck. If you fly to the US, maybe not. If you fly internationally, also maybe not. A lot more info needs to be provided before we as a FT community can help

PS welcome to FT.

PPS If you're flying on other airlines, it doesn't make sense for AC to pay for your benefits, just saying.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Sorry for the vent.
Welcome to FT.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I only flew 6K miles on actual AC flights

Now I have vowed to never fly AC again
Seems like you already barely flew AC

It's probably for the best, because this year, you'd need 50% of the miles (so 12.5k, 17.5k, 25k, 37.5k or 50k, for the different statuses) on AC metal.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Apparently there is a 10K minimum that is required to achieve status. I am not sure if this is a new rule, or if for the past 10 years I had managed to exceed this amount without ever considering it.
10K AC metal annual flown mileage requirement has been around for almost 4 years now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...AC+flown+miles
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:46 pm

I have been a loyal member

I only flew 6K miles on actual AC flights.
I doubt that Air Canada will miss you.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
What's important to you in a frequent flyer program?

After years of AC-only, this year I have a lot more US travel than before, so it has made a lot more sense to pursue Oneworld status, as I end up on mainly AA/US metal.

The seating options are better - upgrades are easier to get both by stickers and by cash - but American provides zero domestic lounge access for even its top-tier passengers.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You see, unbeknownst to me, I only flew 6K miles on actual AC flights, all the rest were partner flights
How do you not know what metal you're flying on? Also note if you're flying lowest *Alliance fare, Tango only credits 25% domestically and 50% transborder/international.

I empathise with your personal situation for last year, but the minimum metal requirement has been in place for several years now (and has gone up for 2015 to 50% for each status tier).

Take a look at this year's program (increased e-upgrade requirements, metal requirements and waived YQ (international only for SE) are the big changes. See if it makes sense for you.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

If you flew 6k AQM on AC, how did you not meet 4 AQS?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: *$ Green

Sorry for the vent.
6K miles?

I get more AQMs flying to the Caribbeans once a year...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Honestly, I really believe the onus is on the flier to understand any program they are participating in. Sure, AC and other airlines can make it hard to understand...but almost anyone can surely understand the 'rules' if they read them.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
"I didn't do my homework and this is the other guy's fault"

Seriously?

(Welcome to FT)

Also, best part/4 the TLDR:

Every year I fly between 35K-80K...

You see, unbeknownst to me, I only flew 6K miles on actual AC flights, all the rest were partner flights (Lufthansa and United).

Sorry for the vent.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:39 am

Every year I fly between 35K-80K

I still amassed 38K of Altitude-eligible miles.

I only flew 6K miles on actual AC flights, all the rest were partner flights (Lufthansa and United).

I am looking to change to a new rewards program, does anyone have any suggestions.
Why not simply join the FFP of the airline you've been predominantly flying? UA or LH. Seems simple enough, right? You won't have to change your flight buying habits at all.
They'd be happy and appreciate your continued loyalty ... assuming you're worth more than you cost and are not easily replaced by the next passenger, of course.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Dorian
...but almost anyone can surely understand the 'rules' if they read them.
Bolding by me, but this seems to the common trend here. People join the program, changes are made to the program, people don't keep abreast of the changes and then it suddenly become a life crisis.

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
"I didn't do my homework and this is the other guy's fault"

Seriously?
*THIS*

Why is a new thread is created every time someone decides to wake up or has the wool lifted from their eyes?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
It sound like to me that you are not a FF with AC and don't deserve status. Since you mostly fly UA or LH, join their program, which will give you status with AC on your limited flights with AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.