Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
At least she was doing something - I regularly see people using their hands and taking dirty plates back to the buffet, the staff just watch and do nothing, and yes, I yell at customers who stick their hands in the dishes, or ask them to get a new plate (I don't normally yell at the dirty plate people). I've really unloaded on a couple people in the MLL over the years who were sticking their hands in serving dishes repeatedly. I know Canadians might not be used to us Americans yelling at someone in public, but if that's what it takes to help train these morons to act properly, so be it - I don't mind. Of course at the YYZ TB MLL, where I end up doing most of my yelling, when I tell the clueless staff they need to change whatever dish was contaminated, they just stand there like deer caught in the headlights until I can get a manager, some of whom are equally clueless. I've seen it outside of the MLL in Canadian restaurants, so I've just assumed there is a general lack of hygiene knowledge in Canada, which is strange for a country that makes it feel like a crime to cough in your hand instead of your elbow.

I probably see 1 person in a US airline club do this for every 4-5 people in a MLL, and in Asia, outside of generally dirty mainland Chinese, I would see this done .001 times for every 10 times in Canada, especially in Japan - and when I see it, it's always a foreigner.
Contaminated? Yes, no doubt the person grabbing chips from the bowl is going to cause an Ebola outbreak. US airline cubs have food comparable to an MLL? Yeah sure. Everyone's tough on the internet.
pmaclell likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
Contaminated? Yes, no doubt the person grabbing chips from the bowl is going to cause an Ebola outbreak. US airline cubs have food comparable to an MLL? Yeah sure. Everyone's tough on the internet.
It’s unlikely that food that is refreshed regularly and kept cool, even on the buffet, is going to provide a significant source of food borne disease from diners. Because not enough time for any contaminants to actually multiply. Likely every other surface in the lounge is more contaminated even with diners whose table manners leave something to be desired. And likely good practice during food preparation is more important especially if prepared mixed foods are going to be stored for any period of time. Thus I think people need to be civilized and respectful, and we all need to wash our hands regularly especially before eating (I take bet most don’t) , but I’m not sure that I would refuse to eat something just because a serving spoon had fallen into it; but I would be very very wary of food sitting out in lukewarm conditions on the counter for hours at a time. ( disclaimer – personal opinion & no literature search done)
Plumber and pmaclell like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
1. you have no idea where someone's hands have been - I regularly see people coming out of the bathroom stall after a number 2 who don't wash their hands - you want to take the next chip with a few flakes of poop on it? Go ahead, but I don't.

2. some US airline clubs have superior food to a MLL - ever tried the United Club at LAX? Most of Delta's hub locations? A Polaris Lounge? All vastly superior to any MLL I've been into in the past few years

3. everyone's tough on the internet, but you've never been in an airport with me - I don't have patience for stupid people, and I have a big mouth, which I use regularly when I encounter one. I'm not in the airport to make friends.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. you have no idea where someone's hands have been - I regularly see people coming out of the bathroom stall after a number 2 who don't wash their hands - you want to take the next chip with a few flakes of poop on it? Go ahead, but I don't.
But itsn't that the newest treatment for superbugs and all sorts of things?
lallied likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:17 pm
Suspended

2. some US airline clubs have superior food to a MLL - ever tried the United Club at LAX? Most of Delta's hub locations? A Polaris Lounge? All vastly superior to any MLL I've been into in the past few years

3. everyone's tough on the internet, but you've never been in an airport with me - I don't have patience for stupid people, and I have a big mouth, which I use regularly when I encounter one. I'm not in the airport to make friends.
They're not preparing the food, they're likely not touching anything other than they chip they're getting and they can easily touch another chip just as easily with tongs. Perhaps eating outside of your home isn't for you.

Ever seen the TMI episode of South Park?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
They're not preparing the food, they're likely not touching anything other than they chip they're getting and they can easily touch another chip just as easily with tongs. Perhaps eating outside of your home isn't for you.

Ever seen the TMI episode of South Park?
What is the person exiting the washroom grabs the tongs and uses them. Then I go grab the tongs... urgh.

Anyone considered how clean the handles on these tongs are? Of course the same thing applies to door handles, I nearly always use a tissue to open the door and exit a washroom but it’s not always possible.

Drives me crazy when people don’t use soap, or even water. Some think it’s acceptable to just spray some sanitizer on as they exit (if anything at all).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94

What is the person exiting the washroom grabs the tongs and uses them. Then I go grab the tongs... urgh.

Anyone considered how clean the handles on these tongs are? Of course the same thing applies to door handles, I nearly always use a tissue to open the door and exit a washroom but it’s not always possible.

Drives me crazy when people don’t use soap, or even water. Some think it’s acceptable to just spray some sanitizer on as they exit (if anything at all).
I always grab napkins in the airline clubs (and buffets outside the airport) to wrap around the handles or tongs or dispensers. I have packs of Lysol wipes in my carry-on which I use to wipe down tables before any of my personal stuff touches down - the same wipes are used extensively once onboard, on armrests, seatbelt buckles, tray tables, IFE controls and screens, etc. Usually when I go to Sweet Tomatoes, our local buffet of choice, the greeter is able to get me some plastic sanitation gloves to use during my visit, I should probably buy a box for my carry-on to use in the lounges.

I've seen better hygiene exhibited by cows on a farm vs some of the people I've observed in a MLL.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94

I'm with you there. Sanitizer will essentially do the same thing as soap. What basically 100% of the population misses at home though is that you're supposed to lower the toilet seat cover when you flush. Otherwise, you send particles into the air.
rickg523 likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 20, 2019 at 7:39 am Reason: content
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm with you there. Sanitizer will essentially do the same thing as soap. What basically 100% of the population misses at home though is that you're supposed to lower the toilet seat cover when you flush. Otherwise, you send particles into the air.
I seem to recall a MythBusters episode where they determined that no matter what you did, you'd have roughly the same level of fecal matter in the air, everywhere in your house. Though maybe I'm misremembering part of it.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 20, 2019 at 7:39 am Reason: edit quote
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Ugh. There's a guy sniffling and coughing like mad in the YYZ domestic lounge. Gross.

Actually, that guy is me, sorry folks!
BRAISKI likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Further to the scoop option, I noticed there were scoops for pretzels yesterday (in the big cracker barrel jars). So they know scoops exist.
Weird.

On the positive side, after I moved both pairs of tongs to the side plate after serving myself yesterday, the guest after me at first put the tongs back in the salad after serving herself, and then put them on the side plate. We can be a force for good!

(An ex-bathroom tong-handler may have beat me to the tongs, though. Was quite sick overnight.)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
I was just about to have some chips and salsa from the YVR Dom MLL this afternoon when I witnessed a middle aged man grab a heaping handful of chips directly from the bowl. He then stood over the food while sampling a few of them despite there being a line up. What's wrong with some people?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by marke190
I was just about to have some chips and salsa from the YVR Dom MLL this afternoon when I witnessed a middle aged man grab a heaping handful of chips directly from the bowl. He then stood over the food while sampling a few of them despite there being a line up. What's wrong with some people?
What was the result? Did you or anyone else say something?

Just today I had the staff at my local UC at SNA chase down a woman who went back to the buffet with her used plates - she received her lecture and got the point, but are people really this clueless?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
What was the result? Did you or anyone else say something?

Just today I had the staff at my local UC at SNA chase down a woman who went back to the buffet with her used plates - she received her lecture and got the point, but are people really this clueless?
I was too horrified in the moment to speak up but next time I ought to say something. I don't think there were any staff around to see.

For the sake of the food in other MLLs I hope that this guy was a FOTSG and not a FF serial contaminator (pun intended).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by littlea905
I was in the Trans-border MLL at YUL a few weeks ago. I watched the following occur in the span of about 10 minutes, which makes me wonder what kinds of gross things are happening when I am not looking.

Watched one lady walk up to the bowl of tortilla chips, put her fingers in the bowl, pick up a chip and put it straight in her mouth. Tongs are completely obvious. Yuck.

A few minutes later I had gone up to get a chocolate chip cookie out of the jar (with Tongs!) and noticed that someone had dropped one on the counter. Whoever that person was decided to leave it there and not throw it in the trash. In hindsight i should have just thrown it away myself, but I digress.... I go and sit down and while eating my cookie I watch another grown adult walk up to the jar and rather than taking a (possibly clean) cookie out of the jar, picks up the dropped cookie on the counter and proceeds to eat it.

Where do these people come from? I might expect this kind of behavior from a kid, but an adult? People are gross.
Already the MLL lounges at YUL need some work. The transborder and domestic ones are a joke, where International is alright.

I dunno if AC staff in the MLL just don't care anymore because i've seen a recent uptick in this kind of behavior there. In the transborder MLL back in January, there was a group of 4 adults who proceeded to open all of their carry on and put their suitcases on the caf tables they have there, call their friends on facetime and proclaim VERY loudly to their friends that they were in the lounge and how lucky they were. They then went to get up and fill their plates like they were overflowing with food like they were at a buffet and about to be kicked out....and then went back with the same dirty plate for seconds.

All of this before a 9am flight.

Moreover, doesn't Air Canada say in their MLL rules that you need to dress relatively appropriately in their MML? These folks were in there with stained shirts, sweat pants and looked like they just got off an 8hrs bus ride. I like the MLL for the quiet and peace and not for the folks that want to brag to their friends that they have lounge access.
pmaclell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.