Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
One time at the YVR Dom MLL a P25 (or E35?) pax was denied entry and politely said thank you and began to walk away - so I guested him in. That was my charity for the year.
E35K is allowed in domestic, so it must have been P25K.

I gave a pass to someone trying to pay for her friend to come in once. I gave a pass to someone in YWG once, but I regretted it three minutes later.

I'll guest (or give a pass to) anyone who is trying to reasonably get in. If the agents are being douches (which I've seen - they wouldn't let a UA*G into YYZ TB), I don't care if you're arguing. Otherwise, you need to appear to be polite.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
E35K is allowed in domestic, so it must have been P25K.

I gave a pass to someone trying to pay for her friend to come in once. I gave a pass to someone in YWG once, but I regretted it three minutes later.

I'll guest (or give a pass to) anyone who is trying to reasonably get in. If the agents are being douches (which I've seen - they wouldn't let a UA*G into YYZ TB), I don't care if you're arguing. Otherwise, you need to appear to be polite.
That's what I meant. Even if you don't have status and don't intend to pay but just were checking that's fine.

Oh and that's when the looks are important. Business person? Well-dressed traveller? Probably yes. Backpacker with huge bag? Probably not.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by jlisi984
That's what I meant. Even if you don't have status and don't intend to pay but just were checking that's fine.

Oh and that's when the looks are important. Business person? Well-dressed traveller? Probably yes. Backpacker with huge bag? Probably not.
What if they're backpacking through Europe to see all your performances?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984

As someone who travels in jeans and a t-shirt, I would never judge.

Heck, I was a SE in paid J flying over to Europe for some backpacking.

It's all about attitude. If I think you'll be sane in the lounge, I'll guest you in.

If you're creating a scene before you even get in... please stay out
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen far too many people taking food (cookies, chips, pickles, etc) with their hands even with utensils within reach, and now I've decided to yell at them on the spot - it's so disgusting and I'm tired of it. Grow some damn manners, you're not pigs.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've seen far too many people taking food (cookies, chips, pickles, etc) with their hands even with utensils within reach, and now I've decided to yell at them on the spot - it's so disgusting and I'm tired of it. Grow some damn manners, you're not pigs.
Yep. Saw a guy in YWG take some nachos and dip into the salsa bowl all with bare hands... Was about to take some. Needless to say he saved me the unnecessary calories. Thanks pig!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
No manners, fingers & pigs

Just in cased you missed these from upthread:

Originally Posted by 24left
YVR Dom.....One person was annoyed that beer is only available at 11:00 and stated "Well this sucks". Another could not wait until the attendant brought the tongs for the cookies and helped himself with his hands, despite serviettes being right there. I took a quick moment to lecture him (because I can). He could care less and walked off with cookie in mouth......

In YYZ T1 Int'l MLL

Just now.
Some fartface was helping himself with a hot dish and then before he goes for the pasta ladle, he licks his fingers and then grabs the ladle to scoop up any remaning pasta. There was still some pasta left after he was done taking his portions.....

Just now!

Lady finishes helping herself to some pasta and then immediately licks her fingers and then proceeds to touch other public-touchable items in the food area including reaching for utensils.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
It depends. Are you watching reruns of Cops, without earphones, while scrathing your foot?
Was the guy in the photo doing anything even remotely "bad" other than touching his foot?

It's almost as if someone came down with a serious illness from touching a soup ladle in an MLL once, posted the story on FT, and now people (myself included) are much more likely to pick up a cookie with my dirty fingers than touch the tongs, then the cookie.

Because realistically, you're going to touch the serving device, then touch what you served yourself, then eat that thing. The appearance of sticking my hand in the soup may be bad, but the actual contamination may not be that much different.

My last experience in an MLL involved my wrapping the tongs with a napkin, grabbing some wraps, then throwing out those napkins. But I would not feel bad about grabbing the wraps directly with my dirty fingers.

And you can absolutely blame Dorian for this
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It's ok holding your own bare foot in public? Wow. Let alone in a F lounge? Is it OK if I then smell my hand after I hold my feet for a few minutes? I think it smells great
I guess...not? Is this a trick question? What else does it say in your lounge rule book?

(Btw you assigned to this stranger in the picture acts that he didn't commit)
Actually, he did all that as SAP described.

No, he didn't break any rules. But just like other people who licked their fingers before touching a ladle, or putting feet on the table as someone else mentioned, these are all annoying behaviors. I was sitting right across from him. Really can't not look at him.

This is about pet peeves in the lounge. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. This behavior is kind of piggish in my books, worse than picking his nose in public.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My last experience in an MLL involved my wrapping the tongs with a napkin, grabbing some wraps, then throwing out those napkins. But I would not feel bad about grabbing the wraps directly with my dirty fingers.

And you can absolutely blame Dorian for this
Generally speaking, this is what I do at buffets...then I squirt some Purell before I start eating. One thing I keep forgetting to do that my friend does on every flight, is pack a flat of Clorox wipes which he uses to wipe down the seat, arm rests and tray table after boarding.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:47 pm

Generally speaking, this is what I do at buffets...then I squirt some Purell before I start eating. One thing I keep forgetting to do that my friend does on every flight, is pack a flat of Clorox wipes which he uses to wipe down the seat, arm rests and tray table after boarding.
I learned the hard way that Clorox wipes can set off the explosives detector. You know the one where they swab the inside of your bag, then put it in the machine?

Yeah. If you want to see a CATSA agent scared, Make that machine go off. It is LOUD.

Moral of the story? No more Clorox wipes in my carry-on.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Maybe I'm too easy going, but the guy looks like he's chilling out in his shorts (HKG is a hot place), listening to some tunes and drinking some champagne. To me, nothing wrong with that. Did he get loud and obnoxious? If so, then that would bother me. Doesn't look that way, though.

What would bug me is if I was chilling in the lounge, minding my own business, and somebody took a picture of me (without permission) and posted it on the internet.
^^

Totally agree!
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
My pet peeve has to do with the elevators.

Why do so many people ride the elevator when they can take the stairs?
Why do people hover at the door to the elevator, making it diffiuclt for people to get off?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
Why do people hover at the door to the elevator, making it diffiuclt for people to get off?
You have to treat them like the people who do the same on the Toronto subway: pretend they're invisible.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:09 am

I learned the hard way that Clorox wipes can set off the explosives detector. You know the one where they swab the inside of your bag, then put it in the machine?

Yeah. If you want to see a CATSA agent scared, Make that machine go off. It is LOUD.

Moral of the story? No more Clorox wipes in my carry-on.
CATSA agents have been scared to death by my mother's lipstick tube, so I can't imagine it takes much to set them off. I am thinking of the flat pack of wipes with the snap cover which I can put in a bag to keep any leakage out of my suitcase (screw CATSA, i don't want my B+R bag bleached).

For the sticky finger people out there, the only option is a loud public shaming...even if they don't give a damn, at least staff and nearby customers are alerted so the contaminated food and can steer clear of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.