FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   [IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1650532-ac-lounge-pet-peeves-annoying-passengers-mll-cafe-signature-suite.html)

mathemagic Jun 14, 2023 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35332337)
Because parents seem unwilling or unable to discipline and control them? Certainly no one under 14 should be allowed near the food and beverage service area unless supervised by an adult, and if younger children are making noise and misbehaving, the family should be given one warning, then ejected.

Frankly, the one warning and ejection should apply to anyone including adults who are unnecessarily loud or disturbing other patrons.

If all children should be banned because some are obnoxious, then all adults should indeed also be banned.

bocastephen Jun 14, 2023 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked (Post 35332375)
Not sure how you were raised, but I was a polite and mannered child long before 10, and my kids are as well. The idea that even a 13 year shouldn't be allowed near food and beverage (not to mention "certainly" shouldn't be) seems very off to me. More importantly though, why not just police the behaviour rather than the age? Would you really object to an 8 year old getting herself a bottle of water from a fridge if she does so without being annoying/causing a ruckus?

I would prefer to police behavior in general, but honestly I've never see that happen in a MLL - whether it's marauding through the lounge screaming into a zoom meeting, or grabbing food with bare hands, or even licking serving utensils, I have yet to see anyone asked to either stop doing something, or told to leave the lounge. Unless the staff are going to start intervening with behavior problems regardless of age, then we need some basic guardrails in the meantime.

canopus27 Jun 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35332390)
I would prefer to police behavior in general, but honestly I've never see that happen in a MLL - whether it's marauding through the lounge screaming into a zoom meeting, or grabbing food with bare hands, or even licking serving utensils, I have yet to see anyone asked to either stop doing something, or told to leave the lounge. Unless the staff are going to start intervening with behavior problems regardless of age, then we need some basic guardrails in the meantime.

I understand that you say you've never seen a poorly behaving child being disciplined - but are you asserting that you've never seen a well behaved child in a MLL?

I can't really comment on what you have or haven't seen ... but I can assure you that I have seen numerous well behaved children in MLLs.

flyingcrooked Jun 14, 2023 1:50 pm

Your point seems to be that MLL lounge staff don't enforce the rules, but in that case I'm struggling to see how introducing a new rule (no kids near the buffet!) would help. The lounge would just have more unenforced rules. :)

bocastephen Jun 14, 2023 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27 (Post 35332413)
I understand that you say you've never seen a poorly behaving child being disciplined - but are you asserting that you've never seen a well behaved child in a MLL?

I can't really comment on what you have or haven't seen ... but I can assure you that I have seen numerous well behaved children in MLLs.

But the discussion is about misbehaving children (and adults). Sure there are plenty of well behaved children - and pets - but while adults can be annoying with unsanitary behavior or screaming into a phone, I have yet to see an adult running in circles, knocking things over, jumping up and down on seats, etc. But I have seen children do that.

Either way, I would just like to see the MLL staff step up and start enforcing some basic standards regardless of age.

Bohemian1 Jun 14, 2023 2:02 pm

I have seen lounge rules (especially the former quiet zone) enforced in the YVR Dom MLL, but that is not consistent and has been the exception.

A counter example would be kids running around the LHR MLL and actually going headlong into someone with food, spilling it all over them. Mumbled apologies from the parents, temporary calming of children (but not for long) and zero involvement by the lounge staff. Policing, not so much.

warrens Jun 14, 2023 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35332476)
while adults can be annoying with unsanitary behavior or screaming into a phone, I have yet to see an adult running in circles, knocking things over, jumping up and down on seats, etc. But I have seen children do that.

TBH I would 100% rather children jumping up and down on seats, than be subjected to some mid-level manager's noisy Zoom call.

Even if it's inconsiderate, at least the children are having fun... and maybe it's good for them to get some of that excess energy out before they get on the plane.

songsc Jun 14, 2023 5:37 pm

I believe you do need to be 18+ or 19+ to enter the lounge, because alcohol is served, unless the child is accompanied by an adult, who is supposed to monitor and supervise the child.

I doubt AC can realistically or willingly do anything, because nowadays everyone has too much “rights”. Just think about why masks weren’t widely enforced during Covid, TTC stopped caring about fare evasion, or large retailers stopped caring about shop liftings.

LearningToFly Jun 14, 2023 6:01 pm

Imagine such a bad behaviour in a restaurant or in a bar, do you think the staff would intervene? I believe they would. But it does not happen in those places... Plus the dogs are not allowed in restaurants and bars. Now I feel safer in an airport restaurant than in a lounge. Even though I still sometimes go to the lounge to feel sooo special.

Bravada04 Jun 14, 2023 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by warrens (Post 35332591)
TBH I would 100% rather children jumping up and down on seats, than be subjected to some mid-level manager's noisy Zoom call.

Even if it's inconsiderate, at least the children are having fun... and maybe it's good for them to get some of that excess energy out before they get on the plane.

I don't think you need to point out "mid-level"... low-level, mid-level or high-level - do not need a noisy Zoom, Teams or whatever call so everyone can hear. It is simply ignorant and arrogant when people "of all levels" do that.

Bohemian1 Jun 14, 2023 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 35333079)
I don't think you need to point out "mid-level"... low-level, mid-level or high-level - do not need a noisy Zoom, Teams or whatever call so everyone can hear. It is simply ignorant and arrogant when people "of all levels" do that.

Some of the worst offenders I have seen / heard have been parents or grandparents talking to various children over FaceTime. On speaker, turned up to 11.

warrens Jun 14, 2023 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 35332983)
I believe you do need to be 18+ or 19+ to enter the lounge, because alcohol is served, unless the child is accompanied by an adult, who is supposed to monitor and supervise the child.

The exact wording is:

"For the safety of our younger guests, each lounge strictly adheres to local laws and regulations regarding the serving of alcoholic beverages. Minors must be accompanied by an adult lounge guest."

JJonahJ Jun 14, 2023 10:10 pm

All this talk about kids in the lounges reminds me of the stories that jlisi984 shared (10yrs ago?) about his difficulties getting into the lounge as an unaccompanied minor. Pretty sure he's travelled more of the world by age 15 than I ever will in my lifetime. :D

SearsTower Sep 6, 2023 3:50 pm

In the YWG lounge today and the person sitting next to me in the business centre area feels it's OK to have a Teams meeting with who appeared to be their manager sans earbuds. They were even talking about personally confidential info. I sooooo wanted to join the call :)

HerpaYvr Sep 6, 2023 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by SearsTower (Post 35559207)
In the YWG lounge today and the person sitting next to me in the business centre area feels it's OK to have a Teams meeting with who appeared to be their manager sans earbuds. They were even talking about personally confidential info. I sooooo wanted to join the call :)

.... that's when you lean in from the side, slowly with a pad and paper, and quietly ask....what was that name again please lol