FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   [IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1650532-ac-lounge-pet-peeves-annoying-passengers-mll-cafe-signature-suite.html)

Changeup2000 Jan 20, 2024 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 35927413)
In some cases those pax are helping to offset frequent inflight catering shortages Or so I've heard.

I often found the AC Cafe items more preferable than J snacks.

Especially that new quinoa feta and Co. one.

RZR Jan 20, 2024 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 35927413)
In some cases those pax are helping to offset frequent inflight catering shortages Or so I've heard.

Could be - but it is forebidden - just like the wine

canadiancow Jan 20, 2024 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by RZR (Post 35927438)
Could be - but it is forebidden - just like the wine

There have been flights where I've loaded up on Coke Zero in the lounge because every flight I've asked for Coke Zero on has eventually run out.

I've also been cut off of Perrier because "I" was drinking too much of it.

It may be against the rules, but I don't feel bad at all. I'm consuming it all on "AC property".

D404 Jan 21, 2024 5:04 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 35927504)
There have been flights where I've loaded up on Coke Zero in the lounge because every flight I've asked for Coke Zero on has eventually run out.

OT (sorry), but I am kinda surprised Coke Zero is not just the default nowadays - it is here in parts of Europe.

warpdryv Jan 21, 2024 6:12 am

Originally Posted by D404 (Post 35928104)
OT (sorry), but I am kinda surprised Coke Zero is not just the default nowadays - it is here in parts of Europe.

OT (can’t let this stand). Admin - please add a dislike just for this one comment. Diet Coke must be protected from the imposter Zero/Light at all costs!

RZR Jan 21, 2024 9:17 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 35927504)

I've also been cut off of Perrier because "I" was drinking too much of it.

It may be against the rules, but I don't feel bad at all. I'm consuming it all on "AC property".

CC, i understand , but my point is that it is against the rules. " for consuming in MLL only" . End. I'm not debating weather the rules are correct or not etc
I everyone takes the same approach ,then what is all i'm trying to say.

Anyhow , perhaps it's just me.
Cheers

billdokes Jan 21, 2024 9:25 am

Originally Posted by RZR (Post 35928693)
CC, i understand , but my point is that it is against the rules. " for consuming in MLL only" . End. I'm not debating weather the rules are correct or not etc
I everyone takes the same approach ,then what is all i'm trying to say.

Anyhow , perhaps it's just me.
Cheers

And what should be the penalty for this 'crime'? Should CC have his lounge privileges taken away? His Aeroplan account canceled? Or maybe just 10 lashes with a wet noodle?

Yes, rules are rules but come on, let's get serious here...is it better for me to leave and waste my half finished bottle of apple juice on the table in the lounge or put the cap back on and consume the rest of it on my fight?

I don't think people should be filling up large metal water bottles with Grand Marnier, but I also don't think that taking a can of Coke Zero because the on-board catering is so inconsistent that it warrants a reminder of 'the rules'.

RatherBeInYOW Jan 21, 2024 10:12 am

Originally Posted by billdokes (Post 35928715)
Yes, rules are rules but come on, let's get serious here...is it better for me to leave and waste my half finished bottle of apple juice on the table in the lounge or put the cap back on and consume the rest of it on my fight?

I don't think people should be filling up large metal water bottles with Grand Marnier, but I also don't think that taking a can of Coke Zero because the on-board catering is so inconsistent that it warrants a reminder of 'the rules'.

Yeah pouring red wine into a metal water bottle in an MLL is a problem because consuming your own alcohol on board is forbidden for a reason. If I saw that I'd probably be tempted to say something to an agent.

A can of pop is well, whatever. Usually if I want my own snacks I hit up the store but considering the AC Café encourages you to grab and go drinks and snacks I don't see too much of an issue.

RZR Jan 21, 2024 10:15 am

Originally Posted by billdokes (Post 35928715)
And what should be the penalty for this 'crime'? Should CC have his lounge privileges taken away? His Aeroplan account canceled? Or maybe just 10 lashes with a wet noodle?

Correct, and if everyone "interprets " the "rules" with an " * " to which suits them, then what?
My point is simply that rules are posted for this.
For me, I respect the rules is all. That's just me.
As for your apple juice, I guess an option is to chug it or leave it. Those 2 options that fall within the rules. Or, you can "do what you want" , and to hell with the rules

"And what should be the penalty for this 'crime'? Should CC have his lounge privileges taken away? His Aeroplan account canceled? Or maybe just 10 lashes with a wet noodle? " No need for sarcasm ... but perhaps penalties should be given , who knows

I just find it interesting how some people make own rules.
It's just an observation. It doesn't affect me. No need for a lashing

billdokes Jan 21, 2024 10:22 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW (Post 35928860)
Yeah pouring red wine into a metal water bottle in an MLL is a problem because consuming your own alcohol on board is forbidden for a reason. If I saw that I'd probably be tempted to say something to an agent.

A can of pop is well, whatever. Usually if I want my own snacks I hit up the store but considering the AC Café encourages you to grab and go drinks and snacks I don't see too much of an issue.

The AC Cafe encouraging grab/go probably just adds to the confusion for many people...hard for many people I'm sure to understand why it's ok to grab a drink for the flight from the Cafe but not from the MLL, especially when the pop/juice, whatever, are sitting in open coolers in single serving sizes. I guess if they really don't want people removing that stuff they could go the 'fountain pop' route, like they've done with water in most MLL's.

RangerNS Jan 21, 2024 11:07 am

Not only is drinking your own alcohol aboard forbidden, basically everywhere there is a MLL, its forbidden to take open alcohol from a serving establishment.

My personal routine is to grab a can of tonic or ginger ale, but usually drink it onboard, before we are wheels up.

neilk99 Jan 21, 2024 11:22 am

Filling bottles with wine is one of those that really gets under my skin the worst I’ve seen is a guy bring a literal cooler with 6~8 or so empty plastic water bottles and fill them over the course of half an hour. Closest I’ve come to grabbing an agent to complain about another passenger.

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 35929044)
My personal routine is to grab a can of tonic or ginger ale, but usually drink it onboard, before we are wheels up.

When it comes to the pop I’ll usually grab a can (in Ottawa diet ginger ale which is great and I wish they had at the other MLLS I frequent) and be drinking it on my way out which may be against the rules but with the existence of the cafe and the fact that I’ve usually finished it before we push back I don’t feel too bad.

flyingcrooked Jan 21, 2024 11:44 am

Originally Posted by RZR (Post 35928863)
I just find it interesting how some people make own rules.

A challenge here is that some rules are meant to be followed to a T while others are not. This is a general feature of rules. I remember when I started my first real job, I was told there are two mistakes beginners make — not following company rules, and following them too closely. It takes time and experience to learn the real shape and contour of rules. This is different from everyone just making their own rules.

I hardly ever drink alcohol and think I’m a pretty low cost customer in an AC lounge. Would I feel I did something wrong by taking a cookie to eat on the plane? No. But I wouldn’t take a half dozen.

I honestly have no idea whether AC intends the ‘food is to be enjoyed in the lounge’ rule to be strict and exceptionless, or merely to curb excess. It’s at least very plausible it’s only the latter. But it’s hard to write a rule as “it’s okay to take a bit, but have some sense and don’t take advantage”.

canadiancow Jan 21, 2024 11:49 am

The one or two times I've taken half a dozen Coke Zeros, my travelling party consumed them all in-flight.

We felt that was better for everyone than running out the onboard supply, depriving us and everyone else.

I know what the rules are, but I also know how service will be degraded for everyone if I follow the letter of the rule.

I wouldn't do it with alcohol. I wouldn't do it with more than I'm going to consume in flight.

And I've only done it in J. I'm not trying to increase my consumption beyond what a normal pax in a lower cabin would be entitled to.

I've just never had a flight where Coke Zero was my drink of choice and we didn't run out.

tracon Jan 21, 2024 11:51 am

In this case, it's not "your own alcohol." It's AC's alcohol.
Taking from the lounge isn't a big deal. I like to think of it as YQ recovery.